Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overwrite Settings in LR question  (Read 756 times)

tsinsf

Overwrite Settings in LR question
« on: January 30, 2023, 05:55:03 pm »

OK, now that I know the difference between Save and Save As, I have a question about this pop up. Because I want my edited photos on a different hard drive and in a different folder than in my LR catalog, I always open them via Lightroom into Photoshop, and then when I’m finished editing I use Save As. I’ve noticed that the edited changes that I’ve made in Photoshop appear into Lightroom shortly after. But I notice an exclamation point over the original Raw photo in the film strip in Lightroom and then this message appears, with an option to Overwrite Settings. Could someone please explain to me what this step accomplishes if Lightroom has already received the changes I made in Photoshop?

Pop Up Image attached

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Overwrite Settings in LR question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 06:03:08 pm »

The metadata is out of sync. Meaning something 'external' altered something on the photo, the catalog is letting you know and asking, which is up to date and what do you want to do? I can't answer that. You can simply import the settings or overwrite them in LR (command S). The little sign goes away. LR needs to know.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 10:59:16 am »

I sometimes inexplicably get this message and quite frankly the cause of it makes no sense to me (albeit Andrew's explanation is the rational and logical one).

Based on experience (but without a rational explanation) I have found that the safest course of action is to select the 'Import settings from disk option'.  'Overwriting' the settings seems to cause confusion in Lightroom; and not least with the user.

I have no idea what Lightroom is 'thinking' as in almost every case the metadata has not knowingly been altered in anyway (who or what did this and why do I not know about it ?).

Gremlin…

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 01:13:56 pm »

The OP seems to be making life complicated.  I am using LR Classic v12.1 on a Mac.  The process I have tried and would use is:

1) Get original photo from camera to computer or storage attached to it, putting it where you want.
2) Import it into LR
3) In LR, click Photo/Edit In/Photoshop and it will open in Photoshop
4) Make Edits
5) Click Save (NOT Save As)
6) LR will reopen automatically with the edited image in the Library gallery alongside the original with the same name plus -Edit at the end
7) Export it to wherever you want it saved.

Done!

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

tsinsf

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 01:32:00 am »

"The OP seems to be making life complicated"

OP here. There are a million different ways to do things in LR and Photoshop. Using "Save" rather than "Save As" is a perfectly acceptable way. But since I don't want my TIFF/PSD to live in the LR Catalogue, getting it to a different location (which I want) would require exporting it. This would be an additional step for me which I would find very annoying to do every time I re edit a photo in Photoshop. With "Save As" it goes straight to my desired location.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 04:51:07 am »

OP here. There are a million different ways to do things in LR and Photoshop. Using "Save" rather than "Save As" is a perfectly acceptable way. But since I don't want my TIFF/PSD to live in the LR Catalogue, getting it to a different location (which I want) would require exporting it. This would be an additional step for me which I would find very annoying to do every time I re edit a photo in Photoshop. With "Save As" it goes straight to my desired location.

Glad you are sorted.  I like to have the edited one back in LR in case I want to return to it later for further edits. I use LR not only for processing but also for cataloging.  It is then easy for me to find an image as it is tagged.  In the winter weather I am looking back at images I took several years ago and refining them, particularly as LR now has much better masking.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 09:25:37 am »

But since I don't want my TIFF/PSD to live in the LR Catalogue, getting it to a different location (which I want) would require exporting it.
No images live in a catalog! They live on a hard drive!

tsinsf

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 12:05:52 pm »

Thank you Andrew for standing in front of the doors of delusion and trying to block entry. I know the LR catologue only contains virtual data and no actual pixels. In my dotage years I have developed a kind of spacial dyslexia and thought the Save command put the newly created Tiff/Psd in the folder containing the LR catalogue rather than in the folder where the parent unedited photo lives.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 12:15:35 pm »

Thank you Andrew for standing in front of the doors of delusion and trying to block entry.

"Facts are facts and will not disappear on account of your likes." -Jawaharlal Nehru

And we were over this in an older thread:

So using  Save, the TIFF or PSD file exists only in the LR catologue? I have a mental block about understanding this because I have been using Save As for years, creating actual pixel base files. I had no idea a TIFF or PSD file could exist only in the LR catalogue.
NO images exist in the catalog. It's a catalog only.
When you go to the library for a book, there is a card catalog but there are no books in that card catalog. The catalog tells you where to find the book. Lightroom Classic is the same.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 12:38:06 pm »

Thanks Andrew, whether you originated it or not, the library card catalog analogy is the best explanation of how Lightroom works I've seen.

Pages: [1]   Go Up