Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favorite archival Lustre photo inkjet paper?  (Read 1236 times)

pixeldoppelganger

What's your favorite archival Lustre photo inkjet paper?
« on: January 27, 2023, 12:08:25 am »

I do admit, I like Epson's heavier weight Luster paper... but I've finally decided it's not worth the yellowing that's going to occur.
I'm currently looking online at Hahnemuhle's Photo Luster 290 and CANSON® INFINITY PHOTO LUSTRE PREMIUM RC 310 GSM - LUSTRE
I'll also add, I do like Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag® Pearl, but I don't consider it like a C-print paper...

I'll need to find out if they are acid free.. I can live with OBA's, but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have none.  If I can avoid LILIS great

Open to your thoughts of what you like and maybe why?
Any nightmare luster papers to avoid?

thanks group!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 12:22:47 am by pixeldoppelganger »

deanwork

Re: What's your favorite archival Lustre photo inkjet paper?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 08:50:01 am »

There is no such thing as as an “archival” rc paper that I’ve ever heard of and I’ve always wanted one. They all have lots of oba, and therefore when exposed to daylight will eventually turn grayish in the white border areas and highest values just like type c prints etc.  Don’t trust the Wilhelm posted data on the rc media, it’s just not correct.

Having said that they can last a long time if shown occasionally.

I have used Canson Photo Satin Premium rc for a long time. I think it’s optically really nice, easy to print on, and doesn’t have the pebbled machine like artificial texture that these Luster papers have. It is however kind of bluish in the high values compared to most cotton media. This is not really obvious unless it is directly compared to non oba media side by side in my experience.

John

I do admit, I like Epson's heavier weight Luster paper... but I've finally decided it's not worth the yellowing that's going to occur.
I'm currently looking online at Hahnemuhle's Photo Luster 290 and CANSON® INFINITY PHOTO LUSTRE PREMIUM RC 310 GSM - LUSTRE
I'll also add, I do like Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag® Pearl, but I don't consider it like a C-print paper...

I'll need to find out if they are acid free.. I can live with OBA's, but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have none.  If I can avoid LILIS great

thanks group!

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 03:15:42 pm »

Get yourself a copy of Ernst Kinkla's Spectrum Viz https://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm.
Not sure how up to date the data is, but is a fantastic way of seeing OBA content, and which papers are just rebadges.

Ran through one 44" and two 24" rolls of Canson Lustre premium 310 this week. It does seem to behave (very slightly) like a baryta paper with regards to temperature, humidity and amount of paper left on the roll, in terms of head strikes on our 8400, compared to much lighter RC papers.

Nice heft to it, trims cleanly, and less prone to kinks than lighter papers.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 10:12:18 am »

Epson's Exhibition Fiber Paper has been a favorite for years. It is fiber-based, and while it is described as glossy it is really more of a lustre, on the glossy end. They use some OBAs but, let's face it, they do have a purpose!

Wheathin21

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 06:34:46 pm »

My vote is for Red River Palo Duro Baryta Fiber 300. 300gsm fiber based lustre finish. Archival, no OBAs. Very large gamut and deep black point (L* 4 on my ipf8400).

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 05:19:05 am »

thanks group!

Aardenburg-Imaging.com has test results for some RC papers. While their paper white shifts in time it is possible to get an idea which one will shift the least.
Epson Semi-Matte Proofing White has no lustre surface but it is one of the few RC papers with good whitening agents and nearly no OBAs.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

Paul_Roark

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 12:35:37 pm »

>  There is no such thing as as an “archival” rc paper ...

True, but nothing lasts forever.  For my personal favorite images, I think "carbon" (pigments) on "cotton" (Arches cotton based watercolor paper) is going to last the longest.  But customers almost never appear to care about huge longevity.  I have never had any evidence of a sprayed Red River Satin ("rc") paper (dry mounted and framed) being damaged. 

A PhD economist and I once discussed this at a museum function.  We concluded most people are looking for "good enough."  For me that means excellent pigments, and a Satin finish, acrylic-sprayed, "rc" paper that is dry mounted and framed.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up