Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFT: dying or not?  (Read 2150 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
MFT: dying or not?
« on: January 05, 2023, 07:42:41 am »

I'm being semi-facetious here, MFT suits my purposes and I don't care much what online soothsayers proclaim. But for a dying system, there sure are a lot of lenses being released for MFT. Seems like there's another one announced every week or two. Somebody must be buying all these lenses. Are there places in the world where MFT is very popular and we just don't hear about it?
--
Robert

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: MFT: dying or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 05:57:54 pm »

I'm excited. What's MFT?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 08:27:31 am »

I'm excited. What's MFT?
Most Frequently Travelled. Refers to preferred destinations chosen by tourists.

degrub

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 11:29:41 am »

micro 4/3s
Asia and old guys tired of carrying large format wood boxes with glass plates  ;) ::)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 09:35:03 pm »

I've been thinking of writing a small review on the matter but not enough time/ determination yet.

I will add few words of wisdom on the matter as after having the E-M1iii for more than a year I decided to get the newest OM-1. My last two trips have been basically with the a MFT based system, first with both and the last just with the OM-1 (I did have a Sony RX10iv as a backup but mostly for the occasional distant wildlife).
The main reason here is because, after seeing what an iPhone can do, I decided to buy more into the computational photography and the OM-1 is probably the most advanced from this point of view from all the interchangeable lens cameras.
Granted, I can get "better" image quality from my Nikon Z7 and even from my Fuji X-T2 but there are things that the MFT does very well when it comes to travel.

The 12-100 F4 is the gold standard for a travel zoom and I'm supplementing with a 8-25 F4. If it was more day trips it would make sense to have a 7-14 or similar, but when traveling I have some redundancy as either can be good enough on it's own. With no computational tricks the image quality is good enough for most cases and I can make it punch above it's weight with few things:
- hand held high resolution: still not completely sold on the extra detail on average scenes, at least with Adobe software, but it does improve the noise for higher iso quite nicely
- handheld live ND: I tend to use this quite a lot, can make a midday scene with moving water more appealing

The stabilization system is the quite good, particularly for someone who doesn't seem to be so good at steady shots compared to the average person. What this gives me is a base iso camera, I rarely change the iso from the base, and with the bigger DOF from the smaller sensor I can have competitive landscape handheld results with most cameras. This also affords me to avoid a big tripod, if any and makes me more mobile.

I got 3 buttons mapped to:
1. focus shift
2. handheld high resolution
3. HDR, which I have it set as 3 shots at 2 EV intervals; LR does a very good job of combining them and I get a realistic shot with ~ 4+ stops of DR from the base iso, which is enough in most cases.

All these because the system is light and rugged and that is helpful when hiking/backpacking. My only comparable package is the Z7 with the 24-200 but the sharpness/contrast is not as good even if I like the drawing of the lens, and most importantly I need much higher shutter speeds to have it sharp.

Borealis

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 10:15:22 pm »

I'm using Panasonic MFT cameras and lenses since maybe 10 years. Recently bought a GX9 with a 12-32 pancake lens plus 45-150 compact telephoto for travel. With DXO PL as a raw converter image quality is fine more many uses. I also do a lot of video with my Panasonic gear and are more than happy with the results.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 05:48:43 am »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 05:49:17 am »

;D ;D ;D

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 08:35:16 am »

You can still see the tripod holes.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
--
Robert

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2023, 01:42:34 pm »

I'm excited. What's MFT?
Means Fine Tobacco 8)