Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you store large prints collected over a lifetime?  (Read 2370 times)

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
~ CB

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
Re: How do you store large prints collected over a lifetime?
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2023, 06:10:27 pm »

My wife got the box from Don Drake: http://www.dreamingmind.com/read/boxes/343 It is fantastic and a great way of storing photos for display when guests come over (you can't really do the same with a flat file).

cortlander

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2023, 06:56:30 pm »

cortlander

cortlander

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2023, 06:57:55 pm »

My wife got the box from Don Drake: http://www.dreamingmind.com/read/boxes/343 It is fantastic and a great way of storing photos for display when guests come over (you can't really do the same with a flat file).

These look great! I will check the pricing and options.
cortlander

Ignotus_Mago

• Art by Paul Hertz
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2023, 04:15:20 pm »

As an artist using algorithmic techniques to generate images, I have no shortage of files. A recent series began with over 16K files, pared down to 55 prints. Deciding what to print can take years, so it's not unlike going through old photos.

I use several strategies for storage. Flat files are useful, but they pose certain hazards. Wooden drawers can shed sawdust as they slide in and out. Paper in steel drawers slips around more than in wooden ones. Flat files for big prints really need drawers with a good suspension, which means some expense, but that's better than drawers that jam or skip the track. It's an investment in preservation.

That said, flat files can damage paper when stacks of paper shift. Paper can get caught in the back of the drawer, or bend when you load or unload prints. Prints that slide over one another can scuff the ink layer. I combat these problems a few ways, not always consistently. Most of these have been mentioned, but I like making lists:

• Protective spray varnish. Particularly for the "artist proofs," that serve as my reference for later, on-demand prints, I protect every print.
  • Interleaving. I put archival interleaving paper between prints. This will further minimize scuffing.
  • Wrapping. In the flat files, I wrap editions in archival paper to keep them together for taking out and to prevent them from slipping.
  • Envelopes. I keep some prints in clear plastic envelopes, but now less than I used to. I always use envelopes for shipping.
  • Boxing. Outside the flat files I use archival boxes. Prints in the boxes may be wrapped and interleaved, too. I favor drop-front boxes, or any other design where you don't dig into the box to pull out a stack of prints. A strip of paper under or around a series can also help. Boxes go onto shelves in my studio space.
  • Framing. I should do more of this, but storage of frames also becomes an issue. I have rows of them on deep shelves. I prefer plexi over glass, both for the weight and the potential breakage.

I use protective sprays from Hahnemühle and Moab, for matte papers, which is pretty much all I print on. Photo paper will probably use different products.

I will mention Gaylord Archival, https://www.gaylord.com/, a library preservation supplies company, as another place to look for flat files, boxes, interleaving papers, etc. They also have some good informational resources on preservation.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 11:36:41 pm by Ignotus_Mago »

cortlander

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2023, 02:27:44 pm »

As an artist using algorithmic techniques to generate images, I have no shortage of files. A recent series began with over 16K files, pared down to 55 prints. Deciding what to print can take years, so it's not unlike going through old photos.

I use several strategies for storage. Flat files are useful, but they pose certain hazards. Wooden drawers can shed sawdust as they slide in and out. Paper in steel drawers slips around more than in wooden ones. Flat files for big prints really need drawers with a good suspension, which means some expense, but that's better than drawers that jam or skip the track. It's an investment in preservation.

That said, flat files can damage paper when stacks of paper shift. Paper can get caught in the back of the drawer, or bend when you load or unload prints. Prints that slide over one another can scuff the ink layer. I combat these problems a few ways, not always consistently. Most of these have been mentioned, but I like making lists:

• Protective spray varnish. Particularly for the "artist proofs," that serve as my reference for later, on-demand prints, I protect every print.
  • Interleaving. I put archival interleaving paper between prints. This will further minimize scuffing.
  • Wrapping. In the flat files, I wrap editions in archival paper to keep them together for taking out and to prevent them from slipping.
  • Envelopes. I keep some prints in clear plastic envelopes, but now less than I used to. I always use envelopes for shipping.
  • Boxing. Outside the flat files I use archival boxes. Prints in the boxes may be wrapped and interleaved, too. I favor drop-front boxes, or any other design where you don't dig into the box to pull out a stack of prints. A strip of paper under or around a series can also help. Boxes go onto shelves in my studio space.
  • Framing. I should do more of this, but storage of frames also becomes an issue. I have rows of them on deep shelves. I prefer plexi over glass, both for the weight and the potential breakage.

I use protective sprays from Hahnemühle and Moab, for matte papers, which is pretty much all I print on. Photo paper will probably use different products.

I will mention Gaylord Archival, https://www.gaylord.com/, a library preservation supplies company, as another place to look for flat files, boxes, interleaving papers, etc. They also have some good informational resources on preservation.

Ignotus, thank you so much for taking the time for a detailed analysis.
This is valuable guidance and I need to adapt as much of this as I can. I will check out the Gaylord site.

Again, much appreciated!
cortlander

sportmaster

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2023, 04:00:31 pm »

The photos I like are printed and hung on the wall.  When I get tired of looking at them they go in the trash and I print something else.  I don't store anything except the original digital files. 

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 10:00:12 am »

I had several large portfolios from art school. They held 20”x24” art boards and had a zipper and handle. When looking for alternatives, I found:

Not archival, but I like the concept.

https://aosystems.com/product-directory-advanced-organizing-systems/
~ CB

cortlander

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2023, 02:19:53 pm »

I had several large portfolios from art school. They held 20”x24” art boards and had a zipper and handle. When looking for alternatives, I found:

Not archival, but I like the concept.

https://aosystems.com/product-directory-advanced-organizing-systems/

Yes, this is quite unusual. Never seen it before. Thanks.
cortlander

cortlander

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2023, 06:08:01 pm »

This is another interesting idea, if the folios were available ready made:

https://www.lenswork.com/workshops/FolioSample5/FolioSample5.html
cortlander
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up