Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print Shield and temperature  (Read 464 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Print Shield and temperature
« on: December 16, 2022, 12:03:59 pm »

I need to spray about 30 prints with Print Shield for my show next month. I do this outside because of the fumes, but the weather has been cold. I can find no info about minimum temps in the instructions or on their web site, and they are ignoring my emails. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

John Nollendorfs

Re: Print Shield and temperature
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 01:43:14 pm »

Peter:
The warmer the better, but definitely above 60 F.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 08:08:20 pm »

What may help despite the cold is to bring your Print Shield into a warm space overnight before spaying your prints and hope it's a nice and sunny day!

I've had to do this at times and as John said, warmer is better.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 01:27:42 pm »

You can, but I used it once below 60 and it created an uneven coating that was noticeable. Maybe if you applied a series of very light coatings and let them dry before applying another it might work.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 01:31:40 pm by mearussi »

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 03:33:55 pm »

I do them in my garage with a small electric heater going. Doing that this weekend.  I have had problems below 60 F and above 80 or so.

It’s going to take longer to dry in colder days, so what I do is keep the prints and the spray  in another room that’s warm until right before spraying  ( before I bought a heater. ) Then I did one coat , take the prints back in the house to dry quickly and then repeat for a second coat taking them back in to dry.

The one thing I’ve learned over time is to make sure your spray can is within 6-7 inches of the print. The closer the better.

If it’s not close to the print it can crystallize before it hits the print. But yea, if it’s too cold it will fog up regardless.

Do a couple of try’s on test prints before spraying good ones.

ALWAYS  wear a carbon filtered respirator and eye goggles before doing this.

John

You can, but I used it once below 60 and it created an uneven coating that was noticeable. Maybe if you applied a series of very light coatings and let them dry before applying another it might work.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 01:05:03 pm by deanwork »
Pages: [1]   Go Up