Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Advanced B&W not neutral tone - macOS Ventura the issue?  (Read 4325 times)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
Re: Epson Advanced B&W not neutral tone - macOS Ventura the issue?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2023, 11:49:06 am »

I'm with Deanwork. I have tried ABW many times over the years and always come back to QTR. I did find it interesting that with the Epson Print Layout software one can "soft proof" in ABW, removing some of the "black box" aspect to using it. I used the "canned" settings in QTR since I do not have a spectro and am happy with the tonalities I get with the basic settings. QTR was one of the best $50 I've spent in some time.

I was introduced to it many years ago by a friend and it has been my goto for black and white since. I recently bought an Epson P900 after Roy Harrington, QTR's author, made QTR compatible with both matte and glossy paper. I printed the same image on QTR and with ABW. While it is clear they can't be matched exactly, QTR produced better shadow tones. I used Keith Cooper's black and white test image.

Good luck with the printing.

John MacLean

• John MacLean Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2023, 04:47:38 pm »

Hi deanwork and Eric Brody,

I'm finally getting around to trying QTR (default settings) through Lightroom Classic and I'm still plagued with a green cast. Is this normal? The background image was Epson ABW when it worked, and the smaller print in front is the new QTR print I just made.

TIA,
John

deanwork

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2023, 10:57:00 am »

No, it’s not normal. I have used QTR for about 17 years and have not once observed a greenish cast on any of say 10 different Epson printers with oem inks. I’m not using Epson for bw with oem inks now so I can’t test this.

I have heard situations where people had bad inks or inks that settled and needed to be shaken. But apparently others are seeing this same situation.

You do need to use Print Tool software though in order to turn off color management of Photoshop that hosts QTR. It’s great and easy download that . Like for making icc profiles, it can’t be color managed by Adobe.

Hi deanwork and Eric Brody,

I'm finally getting around to trying QTR (default settings) through Lightroom Classic and I'm still plagued with a green cast. Is this normal? The background image was Epson ABW when it worked, and the smaller print in front is the new QTR print I just made.

TIA,
John

John MacLean

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2023, 02:56:34 pm »

No, it’s not normal. I have used QTR for about 17 years and have not once observed a greenish cast on any of say 10 different Epson printers with oem inks. I’m not using Epson for bw with oem inks now so I can’t test this.

I have heard situations where people had bad inks or inks that settled and needed to be shaken. But apparently others are seeing this same situation.

You do need to use Print Tool software though in order to turn off color management of Photoshop that hosts QTR. It’s great and easy download that . Like for making icc profiles, it can’t be color managed by Adobe.

Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that I could just print out of Lightroom Classic? Do I need to use Print-Tool if I use LRC?

deanwork

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2023, 11:40:38 am »

Yes, otherwise you can’t turn color management off.

Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that I could just print out of Lightroom Classic? Do I need to use Print-Tool if I use LRC?

John MacLean

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2023, 04:51:41 pm »

I have recently updated to Sonoma and decided to give it a try again today. It's actually working perfectly now. So I guess the glitch was Apple's fault. I tried to get the QuadtoneRIP to work many months ago, but I wasn't successful. This will suit my needs fine, just as it did before. Thanks all.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up