Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: icc profiles and Monterey  (Read 494 times)

Jonathan Cross

icc profiles and Monterey
« on: November 24, 2022, 05:34:01 am »

I am trying a new paper and have sent a test patch for a custom profile.  The manufacturer is not happy about the profile as my OS is Monterey (12.6.1).  They say there is conflict with Adobe ACPU which is used to print the patch.

I have done a Google search and there are reports of this.  Has anyone experienced this and, if true, is there a work-round?

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: icc profiles and Monterey
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 01:05:23 pm »

No issues for me with a small exception that I also saw using Lightroom Classic but not Photoshop: first time I try to configure the settings in the print driver for Print Settings>Color Matching: the radio button what must be set for ColorSync was set for Epson Color Controls. That's not right! I quit (both LR and ACPU), tried again, then I saw the correct setting for the radio button (ColorSync). This isn't anything we end users can select, it is grayed out** by design.

I converted one of my Color Reference images to the output color space and saved it as a TIFF. Opened in ACPU, printed, it is fine. The GUI under 13.0.1 is not totally correct (some cut off) but it works. This is above and beyond the awful new GUI all print drivers are shown in Ventura.

So far, once the correct radio button is confirmed (and it seems now to be sticky but check), current versions of Photoshop, LR and ACPU seem to be fine.

**Some software products are using a private (undocumented) SPI called kPMApplicationColorMatching which you see in Photoshop and Lightroom and the Adobe Color Print Utility. When you set Application Manages Color, the area of the driver that controls Colorsync will alter the radio buttons such they are grayed out. X-Rite’s i1Profiler has also implemented this SPI.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 02:16:46 pm »

Thanks Andrew.  I am printing on a Canon Pro-300 pigment printer.  I have checked that it is using a Canon driver.  When I print with ACPU or when specifying a custom ICC in LR Classic (latest version), then in Color Matching both Color Sync and Canon Color Matching are greyed out.  Color Sync does have a select dot but Canon Color Matching does not.  I take this to mean that both are switched off leaving color matching to LR.  The same happens when I print from Canon's Print and Layout that I have as a plug-in in LR.

I am not sure how to set Application Manages Color, but have read that selecting a custom ICC profile for my printer, automatically sets Application Manages Color.

It seems from what you have kindly written, and what I have gleaned elsewhere, that my patch is printing OK for the paper manufacturer to provide me with an ICC profile for my printer and the paper concerned.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 02:19:29 pm »

Both radio button will be grayed out, the correct one is based upon: Printer Manages Color vs. Application Manages color. It's a bit wonky in two products, the first time I tried. But after a quit and try again, it was correct. I'd still check each time to be on the safe side. If/when you pick an actual profile, that's Application manages Color.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 02:44:59 pm »

Thanks Andrew.
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up