Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carriage belt on p800 broke...  (Read 641 times)

Schrades

Carriage belt on p800 broke...
« on: November 08, 2022, 05:56:48 pm »

I've had my Epson p800 for about 6 years now, and unfortunately it died yesterday, the result of a broken carriage belt.  It's been a fantastic printer, no problems whatsoever.  I think I've had one clog in all that time, and it was easily cleared.  However, there were some recent signs that not all was well. Lately, I was seeing strange, tiny particulate globs/specks on my 16x20's, which when removed would leave an equally tiny white spot that would then have to be retouched (I described this in an earlier post here).  The printer was also making new banging noises that would come and go when printing small 5x7's.  So I was not surprised when it quit altogether yesterday.

My question is: can this be fixed?  I would think a straightforward replacement of the carriage belt would do the trick.  I believe, other than the belt breakage, that the printer would work perfectly fine again if it could fixed at a reasonable rate.  I guess that's the catch.  I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could chime in on how to replace a carriage belt, the difficulty factor, if it's something that could be done by myself, etc.  As far as mechanical ability, I'd say I'm about average in that regard.  I've looked for YouTube videos, but most are poor quality and describe printers I've never even heard of.  There doesn't seem to be any repair shops in my area (Santa Barbara, CA), and shipping the printer down to Epson in Long Beach and the resultant repair charge probably isn't worth it.

The sober reality is that I'll probably wind up having to buy a new p900, which isn't so bad in itself, but it seems a shame to throw away a perfectly good printer because of one faulty part.  Any info, comments, recommendations, etc. will be greatly appreciated!

David

dvoss

Re: Carriage belt on p800 broke...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 11:41:05 am »

I have a P800 of about the same age but fairly low usage.  It has been an amazing printer - just keeps on ticking.  But after some time the elastic carriage belt will probably degrade and break.

Although you can buy a replacement carriage belt from Compass Micro the replacement procedure in the service manual looks fiddly and scary.  (Service manual is available on the Epson Wide Format group on groups.io in the files section.  That would also be a good place to ask about this.).  You'd have to remove the entire carriage assembly and then acquire the service program software to complete the various adjustment steps.  Maybe someone on LL has actually done this and can comment?

When my P800 finally goes kaput, my plan is to sell it on ebay for parts and then get a P900. 

markgunion

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 02:13:29 am »

You might as well call Epson as a first step and see what they'd charge for a repair; no point in guessing.    From the Epson website:  (562) 276-7272   Monday – Friday 7 am – 4 pm (PT); location is Los Alamitos, CA 90720.

If you opt for replacement:   
  --  There's a P800 refurb on the website right now for $500 ( https://epson.com/search/?text=P800&keyword=P800 ). 
  --  Another 17" option is the P5000.    Its footprint is about twice that of a P800, but it's built to handle a professional workload; it also adds orange and green to the inkset.    There's a P5000 refurb on the Epson website right now for under $1000  ( https://epson.com/search/?text=P5000 ).   New is $1900 minus whatever the current rebate is.

If you're a roll paper user the P5000 may be more attractive than the P900 (see Keith Cooper's youtube & website evaluations of the P900 roll paper holder).    Also, I think the P900 also probably needs the extended warranty repair program; I saw a post somewhere (sorry, don't recall where) from a guy who said he was on his fourth P900, in less than twelve months.    He had purchased the extended warranty program, and when one P900 failed, he would send it back to Epson and they would send him another (refurbished) one.

Mark G.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 02:17:13 am by markgunion »

dvoss

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 09:55:46 am »

If you opt for replacement:   
  --  There's a P800 refurb on the website right now for $500 ( https://epson.com/search/?text=P800&keyword=P800 ).   

Mark G.

That is a great deal, and it comes with a 1 year warranty.

Schrades

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 02:01:51 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I found a repair shop willing and able to fix it, but with a minimum 10 day turnaround.  I need to be back up and printing ASAP.  Also the expense of the repair and cost of shipping (or possibly even driving the printer to the shop) is probably not worth it for a 6 year old printer.  Regarding the refurbished units on the Epson website: unfortunately, when clicking through to the actual listing page, it shows that both the refurbished p800 and p5000 are "out of stock."  I called Epson to verify.  So right now I'm strongly considering a p900 with the extended warranty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up