Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P900 indentation marks with roll paper feeder  (Read 1354 times)

jjlevit

Epson P900 indentation marks with roll paper feeder
« on: October 31, 2022, 06:03:25 pm »

Hi all,

I recently attached a roll paper feeder to my Epson P900, and made my first couple of prints using an old roll of Epson Legacy Baryta. The prints came out with indentation marks from three spring-loaded rollers that hold the top of the paper down; this definitely wasn't subtle and would make a print unsellable with these types of marks. The tension on the springs that clamp down on the top of the paper to hold it in place seems to be very tight.

Has anyone noticed this issue as well, and have a workaround? This pretty makes the roll paper adapter useless if it can't be fixed.

A google search on the problem shows a few others having the same issue, and pictures of their prints look similar to mine. But, I can't find any fixes other than suggestions to send the roll paper feeder back.

Thanks for any additional thoughts or information anyone on this forum might have!

Jason

Tuco

Re: Epson P900 indentation marks with roll paper feeder
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 07:22:50 pm »

I don't have an answer for you, but one way or the other keep us other p900 owners informed, I was considering one since dealing with roll paper is a pain.

Frodo

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 09:46:01 pm »

I hadn't  heard about  indentations from the top rollers, but from the rollers on which the paper roll sits. The latest version of the roll adapter has broader rollers to reduce this risk.
My adapter is the first version and it works fine with Ilford Smooth Pearl, with no indentation  marks. However, I have been unable to load Ilford Fine Art Smooth,  possibly because of the curl in the paper.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 11:11:41 am »

Hi all,

I recently attached a roll paper feeder to my Epson P900, and made my first couple of prints using an old roll of Epson Legacy Baryta. The prints came out with indentation marks from three spring-loaded rollers that hold the top of the paper down; this definitely wasn't subtle and would make a print unsellable with these types of marks. The tension on the springs that clamp down on the top of the paper to hold it in place seems to be very tight.

Has anyone noticed this issue as well, and have a workaround? This pretty makes the roll paper adapter useless if it can't be fixed.

A google search on the problem shows a few others having the same issue, and pictures of their prints look similar to mine. But, I can't find any fixes other than suggestions to send the roll paper feeder back.

Thanks for any additional thoughts or information anyone on this forum might have!

Jason

Was the roll sitting in the printer for a while, maybe overnight? Epson warns to remove roll paper when not actually printing for this very reason.

That being said, this thread reminded me that I left a roll of Epson Exhibition Fiber in my P900 overnight. I just checked and there is no sign of dents upper or lower.

Remko

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 06:59:28 am »

I hadn't  heard about  indentations from the top rollers, but from the rollers on which the paper roll sits. The latest version of the roll adapter has broader rollers to reduce this risk.

Hi Frodo,

That is very interesting - about a renewed version of the roll adapter! And the first time I hear this. Would you mind sharing where did you learn about this?

The original adapter is an engineering fiasco - because of those extremely small and hard rollers. It is already tricky to have the whole weight of a paper roll resting on rollers and than making those rollers that small and hard? There are many complaints about these roll adapters, even when using lesser vulnerable papers. So if there is a new version of the roll adapter with broader rollers, that would be very welcome news!

Cheers,
Remko

AndrewMcD

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 12:50:03 pm »

Hi Frodo,

That is very interesting - about a renewed version of the roll adapter! And the first time I hear this. Would you mind sharing where did you learn about this?

The original adapter is an engineering fiasco - because of those extremely small and hard rollers. It is already tricky to have the whole weight of a paper roll resting on rollers and than making those rollers that small and hard? There are many complaints about these roll adapters, even when using lesser vulnerable papers. So if there is a new version of the roll adapter with broader rollers, that would be very welcome news!

Cheers,
Remko

+1 I had originally thought to buy the roll paper adapter, but have held off due to the reports of problems. Would love to know if the new version solves this at all. Would really like to print on canvas rolls.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 10:05:00 am »

+1 I had originally thought to buy the roll paper adapter, but have held off due to the reports of problems. Would love to know if the new version solves this at all. Would really like to print on canvas rolls.

I think I have the new roll adapter (see photo). I have never had a problem with indentations even though I often leave a roll in the printer for a day or two.

eddiehop

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 10:59:28 am »

We just got a new roll paper holder for our P900. We haven't used it yet. The rollers do not look the same as in the photograph previously posted.
Does anyone have the old roll paper holder that could post a picture of?
How can you tell what you actually have? (We got ours from B&H about a month ago. I would assume it is the new version, but...)
thanks.

Remko

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 02:17:32 pm »

We just got a new roll paper holder for our P900. We haven't used it yet. The rollers do not look the same as in the photograph previously posted.
Does anyone have the old roll paper holder that could post a picture of?
How can you tell what you actually have? (We got ours from B&H about a month ago. I would assume it is the new version, but...)
thanks.
Thank you Peter and eddiehop!
In order to compare eddiehop's photo of the rollers with an old roll adapter, I went to the side of Keith Cooper. He tested the P900 back in November 2020. Not only did it show that your rollers are indeed of a new design, he also had a comment from a user with a photo included of the new version of the roll adapters. They look exactly the same as yours!

If you want to have a look yourself, here is the link to the review: https://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson-sc-p900-printer-review/#rollers

The above link brings you straight to the photo of the new rollers.

This is good news!

cheers,
Remko
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 06:15:15 am by Remko »
Pages: [1]   Go Up