Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Photoshop "Updates"  (Read 1584 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Adobe Photoshop "Updates"
« on: October 19, 2022, 05:36:51 pm »

Can anyone offer a logical reason why Adobe can not update Photoshop in the same way that every other developer does (by just updating the version) instead of renaming the programme (Adobe Photoshop 2022 > Adobe Photoshop 2023) and forcing you to copy Presets and Plugins from the old one and recreating the links to the dock? Sometimes it asks you but often it doesn't.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Re: Adobe Photoshop "Updates"
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 06:54:11 pm »

It makes the shareholders feel comfortable.
~ CB

TheNinth

• The Ninth
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 10:25:54 pm »

Hmmm, at least my plugins (NIK collection) work fine after the update. What exactly do you have to copy there?
My website: www.the-ninth.com

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 11:10:17 pm »

If you had your Colorspace set to ProPhoto or something else in ACR, it reverts to sRGB. For some reason, the update does not/cannot retain your old setting.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 09:27:15 am »

If you had your Colorspace set to ProPhoto or something else in ACR, it reverts to sRGB. For some reason, the update does not/cannot retain your old setting.
Sure it does.
There was a previous bug fixed for an issue with LR to PS round-tripping where ACR didn't embed the profile and produced untagged documents, maybe that's what you ran into.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 10:22:44 am »

On my PC, colour settings including Working Space have been copied over from the old version.

I updated to the new version checking the boxes to remove old version and preserve settings, and it seems to have done both. 

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 04:15:47 pm »

Simple...don't update unless you have to.  Why deal with all the issues if there is just an incremental improvement that may or may not be applicable to your workflow.  I am still on 2017 or something.

Isn't it better this way if the things don't work with some of the old plug-ins, actions etc, you have the old one to fall back on. 

:Niranjan. 

jrsforums

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 06:57:13 pm »

Simple...don't update unless you have to.  Why deal with all the issues if there is just an incremental improvement that may or may not be applicable to your workflow.  I am still on 2017 or something.

Isn't it better this way if the things don't work with some of the old plug-ins, actions etc, you have the old one to fall back on. 

Not sure what you use it for.  However, there have been so many improvements to basic image processing functions in the last 5 years that you are missing out on which could improve and speed up you workflow (and work!).
John

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 02:48:55 am »

Photoshop crashes on me often; anyone else having this problem?
Could it be related to the Focus Magic plugin?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 10:03:46 am »

Photoshop crashes on me often; anyone else having this problem?
Could it be related to the Focus Magic plugin?
When Photoshop crashes or freezes, this is the first thing to do, try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

If that doesn't work, a few other areas to try:
Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop. Better?

If that doesn't work, Go back into Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Better?

You can try this too: in Preferences>Technology Previews, check the box 'Deactivate Native Canvas' and uncheck 'Enable Native Canvas Rulers' options, then restart Photoshop. Does this work?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 10:50:50 pm »

Not sure what you use it for.  However, there have been so many improvements to basic image processing functions in the last 5 years that you are missing out on which could improve and speed up you workflow (and work!).

I am sure you are right...I am just afraid of what OP has been saying.  There are always some unknown surprises with updates that I am not equipped to deal with easily.  So I tend to do less of it.  I am not a power user so perhaps my needs are different from others who can benefit from continuous improvements.  But I see your point. 

jrsforums

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 11:49:41 pm »

I am sure you are right...I am just afraid of what OP has been saying.  There are always some unknown surprises with updates that I am not equipped to deal with easily.  So I tend to do less of it.  I am not a power user so perhaps my needs are different from others who can benefit from continuous improvements.  But I see your point. 

I understand that not everyone is comfortable with changes to computer systems that they know.  Some YouTube videos on new updates which might entice you to change…

https://youtu.be/XZcp9L73rZo ACR/LR masking

https://youtu.be/fU59il_W04c

John

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 06:04:04 am »

I understand that not everyone is comfortable with changes to computer systems that they know.
The problem for Adobe's Photoshop development is that it was pretty much mature and feature complete at CS4.
A lot of what's been added hasn't made it any easier to use and added to it's complexity.

Change is necessarily good.

Some YouTube videos on new updates which might entice you to change…
https://youtu.be/fU59il_W04c
That's contains a fine example of why content aware fill is such a poor feature.

jrsforums

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2022, 10:22:32 am »

The problem for Adobe's Photoshop development is that it was pretty much mature and feature complete at CS4.
A lot of what's been added hasn't made it any easier to use and added to it's complexity.

Change is necessarily good.
That's contains a fine example of why content aware fill is such a poor feature.

Yes, but I think you missed the point of the example.  The intent was not to get rid of the people, but use CAF to blur background without ‘fuzzy fringe’.

Object selecting in PS is an absolutely great tool without added complexity.  The new masking tools in ACR/LR provide fast, non-complex selection and adjustment on all images (not just RAW, of course)……but I guess some people still like to use the pen tool 😀
John

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2022, 11:59:31 am »

I think you missed the point of the example.  The intent was not to get rid of the people, but use CAF to blur background without ‘fuzzy fringe’.
Whatever was trying to be demonstrated the end result was awful.
My experience with CAF is that it's sometimes good for some small areas with easily predictable(cloneable) features, but it often gets it hopelessly wrong.

The new masking tools in ACR/LR provide fast, non-complex selection and adjustment on all images (not just RAW, of course)
When it works it's great and is a truly beneficial feature, but it can also get it obviously wrong and then it's back to old school masking.
In ACR & LR when it's working with raw data there sometimes isn't enough contrast in the raw data to define a mask that wouldn't be a problem with the magic wand after it had been demosaiced and adjusted.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2022, 05:46:53 pm »

Using "Select Subject" in an action for product work was a game changer for me. Worth every penny.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Daverich

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 05:41:34 pm »

Sure it does.
There was a previous bug fixed for an issue with LR to PS round-tripping where ACR didn't embed the profile and produced untagged documents, maybe that's what you ran into.

It didn’t retain it for me, i had to go back and reset ACR to ProPhoto. Not a problem, took only a second, just letting you know MY experience was as described.

Daverich

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2022, 05:03:29 pm »

Just discovered that I didn't get my Topaz or Silverfast plugins either. Just took a second to copy them over but it didn't setup as expected.

Tuco

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2022, 07:09:11 pm »

Can anyone offer a logical reason why Adobe can not update Photoshop in the same way that every other developer does (by just updating the version) instead of renaming the programme (Adobe Photoshop 2022 > Adobe Photoshop 2023) and forcing you to copy Presets and Plugins from the old one and recreating the links to the dock? Sometimes it asks you but often it doesn't.

One benefit is allowing you to continue using the old one along with the new one if you find the new one problematic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up