Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bizarre quality iPhone photos  (Read 1364 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Bizarre quality iPhone photos
« on: September 02, 2022, 09:08:56 am »

A few weeks ago, a client asked me for a bio and <gasp> photo of myself. Like most photographers, I have precious few of myself. I found one on my phone from last summer which my wife took with my iPhone 12 while we were biking with our kids in South Dakota. It was one of the few I found that was reasonably close cropped (at the waist). I brought the jpeg into my computer, opened it in Photoshop and… it looked like crap. My face was blotchy and it looked liked a low-res photo enlarged in early versions of Genuine Fractals. Needless to say, I looked around for something else. 

Then this week, my graphic designer wife is putting together a directory for a soccer team with photos they provided, all shot with an iPhone 12. My wife asked me if I could work on the images (which were the typical disaster). I opened numerous images. All had the same, weird, blocky look I had seen earlier.

Years ago, I had taken some great landscapes with my iPhone 7 (or 8), it’s what I had handy, and fairly easily (with later On1 Resize) enlarged them to 20x30.

What has happened to the iPhone photos? They seem over processed and just plain bad. OK for viewing on your phone or maybe a web site, but trash for almost anything else.

Sorry for the long-winded post.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Bizarre quality iPhone photos
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 09:05:44 pm »

How did you get the photos to your computer?
Also, turn off "Prioritise Faster Shooting" in the camera settings

DominicWhite

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 06:27:42 am »

Just wanna add that third-party editing apps and techniques may have improved to help enhance the quality of iPhone photos for larger prints or professional use. So, check them out.

diane29

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 06:54:56 am »

What I do know is that experimenting with different camera settings and post-processing apps can sometimes lead to better results. Adjusting settings or using some apps can improve the quality of your iPhone photos.
As for your issue, you might want to look into online communities or websites dedicated to Apple products. For example, https://applevox.com has troubleshooting tips for Apple users, a lot of them related to iPhone photo quality.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 07:57:24 am by diane29 »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 08:52:08 am »

... What has happened to the iPhone photos?...

Nothing. User error.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 03:51:32 pm »

A print made from an iPhone file:
Pages: [1]   Go Up