Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does the HP Z3200 give a error code if a sensor is not working?  (Read 529 times)

RaffiCoffee

Weird, but I am not able to load a roll of paper, as it says No paper detected..Continue or Cancel load are the options...

I "continue" and we are in a loop. Cancel is reload and back to same spot.

_I checked the roll rod if it was sitting well, it is.
_I checked the little toggle sensor that is under the printer with 2 wires that have a connection. I am not sure how responsive and sharp the spring is supposed to snap back, but it felt pretty weak.
Meaning it went back, but not like a sure motion.

A year ago, I had something like this issue before, but I had a tech over then, doing the belt change. He replaced it without me having a issue. not sure what it was.
I am able to load cut sheets, but not rolls. Hmmm!?

Any ideas what areas the printer has sensors. I didn't know that it has them different for roll vs cut.  I'm thinking I need ANOTHER sensor.
Maybe I can recoil the spring on it to extend its life a bit? Anyone try?

If that sensor is my sure issue to begin with in the first place!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 11:08:59 am by RaffiCoffee »

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Does the HP Z3200 give a error code if a sensor is not working?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 04:55:03 am »

Sometimes a curl near the leading edge of roll papers allows the switch to turn upwards and the paper is no longer detected. You could insert the sheet but keep the setting at roll to detect where the the issue starts.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

GST

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 05:24:24 am »

Press and hold the UP+OK keyy when turning the printer on, this will bring you to the diagnostics menu.
You can do a paper sensor test there.

regards

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 12:38:41 pm »

Paper looks flat and clean straight Ernst

I am going through the DIAG
I skipped Paper drive and went to sensor. Since I have a paper poking into the window sensor from going off as I like to open the window to see how things arer going...It passed the first few things and DAILED the window sensor, since I didnt want to take it off. And the next step is to SHUT the system down, LOL. So this ON?OFF internally defaults to a FSCK drive check. I'll have to wait 45minutes (boy would it be nice to be able to image the content on a SSD :-)

Anyway, its just at 17% boot with 20% on the Fsck, lets see.
Lets see if it forces me to take out my piece of paper to pass that or, perhaps I can skip over that.

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 01:38:16 pm »

Ok, up and tested the Paper Drive / Media Drive and it checked out OK.
Another reboot..File system check....
I did remove my window cover tab I had used. SO it passed the window test, then came the PAPER SENSOR test.

I made me load the paper in a way I normally do not load...
I put the edge into the throat and wait for the detector to pick it up and move the paper forward..Which it does no problem. On the Paper Sensor Test, it has me lift the Lever first, then insert, then lower.
I did it this method IN THE TEST, and I brought the paper justa bit passed the rollers, like it does with the auto feed method I noramaly use...And it passed OK test.

Now, I dont know if this test method will work on actual printing. What other issue could be the problem?  I took out the sensor, I used air blower to clean things out from under the printer, and in that hole. Not much dust or anything. Put it back. Lets see....

GST

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 05:26:00 pm »

Read the thread abvout drive cloning, you can indeed make a copy on SSD. Not much to win regarding speed thought.
But first replace the onboard battery of the formatter and set time and date, this cures the fsck.

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 08:18:33 pm »

So everything is OK with sensors, but still not able to load roll paper.

So far I am able to load the ROLL using the sheet feed method.
Odd how it doesnt see the paper when in Roll, but does work on the cut sheet, even when tis a roll.

Thank you for that tip on the HDD. I am a bit far from doing that, as I have yet to get going on this printer. It is printing, and I have a head strike issue on tight roll papers, or even just glossy papers, and now this roll feed issue. So. I'll wait until I resolve some things.

GST

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 07:18:05 am »

... and if you get that far dont forget to activate the PS license when cloning.
There is no hw difference between the non-PS and PS versions.

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 11:00:29 am »

So far I am doing a work around that doesnt work so great...

I am telling the printer the Roll is a sheet. But when it comes time for the print to finish, its trying to unravel the entire roll, and has no cut option. So for now I have scissors, and I lift the lever.

Anyone have any ideas whats causing this?

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 11:50:40 am »

So far I am doing a work around that doesnt work so great...

I am telling the printer the Roll is a sheet. But when it comes time for the print to finish, its trying to unravel the entire roll, and has no cut option. So for now I have scissors, and I lift the lever.

Anyone have any ideas whats causing this?

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far.

A bad toggle sensor is most likely causing it.
Nevertheless you could try something odd: use the sheet setting without skew for a sheet, unload the sheet and then load the roll with roll selected.
I have a vague memory that with my first Z3200ps and the oldest firmware I could not select one of the three options after I used the skew off option. I had to return to another load option before I could use all three again. That was 13 years ago, so do not blame me for the vagueness. I tried some combinations here whether it still had that flaw but it did not show.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 03:43:28 pm »

Thanks for this Ernst....Your memory maybe doing pretty darn good for 13 years.  It is after the No Skew use of sheet feed that this started happening. If you remember, I was having head strike issues with the gloss Roll paper, which I fed as a Roll, and all was OK as far as loading.
Because I am more of a "Don't fix it if it aint broke" kind of bloke, I think my firmware I recently updated a week or 2 ago is TR12Rb 14.00.20  SO it is not the newest, but not the oldest either.

OK, maybe it can be that paper toggle. 35$  I'll test it vs the one in use now and see if I feel a difference.

Now that I think of it, the Sensor Diag test the printer does is without any paper, so that physical part is not engaged/activated by paper, and perhaps only testing the electronic circuit for it working or not.It doesn't test if the sensor spring is getting activated by paper.

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022, 08:47:36 pm »

A bad toggle sensor is most likely causing it.

Turns out the bad sensor was ME!!
When I put the roll of paper on the spindle, I managed to leave a couple MM gap from the black plastic stop ring. Of course, this was after I replaced the sensor and looked further to replicate the issue in sheet Skew check mode.

I checked in the back where the roll is sitting and noticed the gap! Took it out and tapped it flush against the ring. Tried Roll again, and Bam! It is accepting the roll feed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up