Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloning software - Windows  (Read 579 times)

andyptak

Cloning software - Windows
« on: June 15, 2023, 04:23:32 pm »

I've been using Acronis for the most part and Macrium as a second choice. I mainly run clones so I can just do a straight swap if I have to. Re-using an Acronis drive when I need a fresh copy because of updates is such a PITA. I have to run through hoops to initilaize and format the original clone disk, usuually using a different machine, and then more often than not, a new clone attempt fails.  Macrium is a breeze by comparison. My dilema is that Acronis seems more fully featured and I have a nagging feeling that it may be more reliable if the need ever arises. Anyone with more knowledge and experience than me have any thought? Thanks.

geneo

Re: Cloning software - Windows
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 07:36:37 pm »

I have been using Macrium for years and have done hundreds of restores without a hitch. It is a very reliable product.

Their latest update improves performance immensely for SSD, in particular for nvme SSD. They now use machine instructions that do compression and encryption very quickly. I can make a backup to an nvme ssd at 1 GB/s+, so a 62 GB system disk is backed up in about 1 minute (196 bit encrypted and compressed!).  I have probably done a dozen restores already with that version. They have very good quality controls and programmers and a lean quality application IMO.

I don't use any of their features like Change Block Tracking, just full backups.

I haven't used Acronis for years. I found it not reliable, but that was a time back.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 07:44:29 pm by geneo »
Walk softly and carry a big lens

andyptak

Re: Cloning software - Windows
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 10:00:55 am »

That's good to hear. Thanks. Goodbye Acronis!
Pages: [1]   Go Up