Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital negatives on IPF8400  (Read 403 times)

Wheathin21

Digital negatives on IPF8400
« on: July 18, 2022, 01:06:58 pm »

I would like to make some digital negatives for contacting printing on silver gelatin paper. I couldn't get what I wanted via enlargement, so I'm gonna try this route.

What film and media settings should I use to get good results?

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Re: Digital negatives on IPF8400
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 09:17:28 am »

You are going to need to print a transparency material like Pictorico or Fixxons, although I have read for silver gelatin, unlike alternative processes that I am more familiar with, a glossy RC-type generic inkjet paper works very well.  Then use typical glossy settings (using PK) to print the negative of the image.  Before that you will need to calibrate your process to get a correction curve that should be applied to the image ahead of inverting and flipping.  It does not matter which exact media settings and icc profile is used as long as the same are used both for calibration as well as negative printing. 

:Niranjan.

Wheathin21

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 10:40:38 am »

How important is the calibration step? I have an i1 pro 2 I'm assuming I print out a linear grey scale and then print it and scan it to make a curves adjustment?

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 11:25:19 am »

I don't have direct experience with silver gelatin so I couldn't give you the exact answer.  After looking at some of the info out there, it would seem that the correction curve for silver gelatin may not be as dramatic as I am used to in a salt print or cyanotype etc.  You might just have to turn down the contrast a bit.  You can probably print a step wedge as you mention and find the appropriate black and white points - the rest might be linearly correlated to the inkjet print density.  Again, not speaking from experience.  Since you have the means to measure the densities, might as well check on the whole range to make sure you are getting close to what you see on the screen. 

https://joesfilmphotoadv.wordpress.com/2016/05/05/silver-gelatin-from-digital-negatives/

Wheathin21

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 07:45:26 pm »

Thanks for the resource. Looking at the ilford paper datasheets, it seems the paper is pretty linear at standard grades.

Pages: [1]   Go Up