Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange black specks sticking to paper before ink is laid down; p800  (Read 801 times)

Schrades

Hello, I hope someone can comment on a strange phenomenon I’m experiencing with my p800.  First off, the printer works great and has been doing so reliably for the past 5 years.  However, for the past month or so, I’ve been getting dark specks/globs of some foreign substance or material on my 16x20 prints.  These specks are small and few; I usually only see 1 to 3 of them on any given print.  The specks are black in appearance, and I blow them off the print surface using canned air leaving a small white spot.  I then retouch the print; fairly easy to do but annoying.

At first I thought it was congealed ink, but in retrospect that doesn’t make sense since the specks must be adhering to the paper before any ink is laid down.  So I think that perhaps something in my printer is deteriorating, and gradually casting off these tiny particles that then stick to the paper.  Then the ink is laid down over these specks eventually resulting in white spots on the print.

I’m guessing whatever’s causing this is happening somewhere during the paper loading stage; perhaps a roller?  I tried some cleaning sheets I got from Red River, but these didn’t seem to do anything.  Also, I believe the cleaning sheets from Epson are no longer available? 

I mostly print using Red Rive Polar Matte using the standard paper tray, back loading configuration.  I have used the front loader for heavier art papers, but only rarely… less than 30 sheets total, so I don’t think that’s an issue.

So I was wondering if anyone has had this problem, and how they fixed it?  Any info provided will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance…

P.S.  I’m sure someone will ask if I’ve cleaned the print heads yet, and no I haven’t in that I don’t think that’s the cause.  But I will certainly go that route if recommended by someone who found that cleaning the heads fixed the problem.

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
Re: Strange black specks sticking to paper before ink is laid down; p800
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 11:07:00 am »

I haven't had that problem with my P800 but I experienced it with my HP z3200. The issue was the carriage belt was slowly disintegrating and leaving specs on the print. The fix was replacing the belt although that was an all day affair to do as it required taking apart almost everything on the printer.

Schrades

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 04:59:10 pm »

sbay, thanks for your reply.  Judging by the overall lack of forum response, I'm guessing my problem is rare.  I might take a deep dive into my printer to see if anything is deteriorating in the feed mechanism area.

Randy Carone

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 09:42:24 am »

One possibility is built up dust from the matte paper. I'd try an air can clean out.
Randy Carone

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 02:31:25 pm »

Could the marks be coming from ink build up on the star wheels that hold the paper down?

Tony

chez

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 03:11:26 pm »

I haven't had that problem with my P800 but I experienced it with my HP z3200. The issue was the carriage belt was slowly disintegrating and leaving specs on the print. The fix was replacing the belt although that was an all day affair to do as it required taking apart almost everything on the printer.

Agree, deteriorating belt is most likely the issue.

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 07:43:25 pm »

Most likely paper debris or dirt. First thing I would do is pull out a strong light and look back in there and blow out the area with compressed air and maybe clean the star wheels with a damp cloth. Then keep a cover if some kind on the printer.

If it is a belt shedding rubber, like is common with the HPs , you can touch the particles and tell they are rubber .

John

Agree, deteriorating belt is most likely the issue.

Schrades

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 05:33:22 pm »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  I did a thorough cleaning so hopefully that'll help.  The specks don't look like dust, unless they've somehow congealed into a singular mass. They're black, and sometimes roundish in shape, and "sit" on the print surface.  The interesting aspect to this is that these specks mostly only appear on 16x20 prints with 1/8 inch borders.  When I print 16x20s with wide white borders, I never get them (actually I have had them, but only on two occasions).  Also, I have yet to see them on smaller prints (11x14s and 5x7s).  However, the placement of the specks is completely random, and aren't isolated to one area of my 16x20s.  I make about 50 prints a week in various sizes, so I'm printing enough to see distinct patterns.  I'll update this post the next time I print narrow border16x20s to see if the cleaning helped.

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 08:28:29 pm »

The tech that did my belt some time back just took apart one side of the z3200 and he managed to slipt the belt in and it took about 30 minutes. I video taped the process. I have to do some digging to find it.

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 03:50:20 pm »

The tech that did my belt some time back just took apart one side of the z3200 and he managed to slipt the belt in and it took about 30 minutes. I video taped the process. I have to do some digging to find it.

I no longer have my z3200 but I'm sure there would be lots of folks on this forum that would appreciate it. I followed another video (I think he was a member) that was about an hour long.

deanwork

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 07:14:55 pm »

Yes, me too. My belt on the 3200 is shot. The HP tech said he used the “new Hp belt” but it didn’t last but 3 years or so. My other one has the LPS belt which is much much better. They have a lifetime warranty. I have one to put on there but I’m a horrible mechanic so any help is much appreciated.

John

I no longer have my z3200 but I'm sure there would be lots of folks on this forum that would appreciate it. I followed another video (I think he was a member) that was about an hour long.
Pages: [1]   Go Up