Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Issues and RIP Software Solution?  (Read 2076 times)

msgaillard

Printing Issues and RIP Software Solution?
« on: July 01, 2022, 03:35:20 pm »

I've been encountering a problem that never happened until recently. I'm wondering if it has to do with new technology and incompatibilities with my three-year old SureColor P20000.

Whenever I print a file over 1.5GB from Photoshop, the last 8% or so of the print winds up repeating the first 1-inch of the print. When I'm printing a 120-inch print, this is quite aggravating for obvious reasons, both in terms of time and expense. I tried making the file as small as possible without compromising quality, to no avail. I spoke to Epson and they said the driver can't process anything over 90 inches or so. Oddly, I have printed 110-120 inch prints in the past.

Now I have a new loaded MacStudio and all the newest software. I think I finally may have reached a point whereby I can't avoid getting a RIP any longer. I've been reluctant because I've been perfectly satisfied with my workflow and haven't felt a need to switch.

Looking for the highest quality RIP for my P20000 (64" printer). I want to be able to use existing profiles that I created rather than making new ones, as I just don't have the time right now to embark on that with an exhibition looming. Some have recommended ColorBurst, ImagePrint, and ColorGate. They're all so expensive and I'm worried there's a significant learning curve that I can't accommodate right now.

Any suggestions re RIPs? Any alternatives so I can avoid getting a rip right now? I've read in some comments that printing from Lightroom might help. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Printing Issues and RIP Software Solution?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 03:57:58 pm »

On Mac, with Epson print drivers, there is a size limiation (can't recall the specifics but there is one). I had a customer who got ImagePrint just for this issue, it was able to output huge prints without this issue.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

drgonzo

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 08:46:08 pm »

Any suggestions re RIPs? Any alternatives so I can avoid getting a rip right now? I've read in some comments that printing from Lightroom might help. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

You could try Mirage - we have used it for about 5 years and made prints longer than 120" without issue (however, we are printing on Canons not Epson printers). It's affordable and the learning curve is not steep.

If you are printing RGB files you can probably use existing ICC profiles that you've made for your Epson (at least we have been able to and not seen a difference between files printed with the driver vs Mirage).

I think you can demo it for 14 days for free to see if it works for you.

arobinson7547

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 10:09:17 am »

If your not using ethernet, certainly use the ethernet connection from your computer to the Printer. But more importantly set the Driver to print 'directly' to the Printer and not spool

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 09:54:26 am »

An inexpensive great solution to that is QImage . It also has great upsampling algorithms for enlarging dslr files, and a feature that prints color targets periodically to greatly cut down on clogging and waste from doing head cleanings. It’s the biggest bang for the buck. Available for Mac and Pc.

https://ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/

https://www.binartem.com/qimageone/

John

If your not using ethernet, certainly use the ethernet connection from your computer to the Printer. But more importantly set the Driver to print 'directly' to the Printer and not spool
Pages: [1]   Go Up