Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picked up a Canon IPF 8400 that sat for two years  (Read 2552 times)

dwight_talley

Re: Picked up a Canon IPF 8400 that sat for two years
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2022, 01:55:54 pm »

From what I can see all of the ink lines filled up with ink. Before they were clearly empty with sections of ink and sections empty. I was worried the the ink had dried but I don't see any evidence of it.
I use to own a couple of epson 9600 printer that has set for three years. The ink in the lines, especially magenta was solid all the way from the heads to the ink tank. I had to run a stiff wire down the lines to break up the solid ink and then use a strong pump to pull fresh ink through.
I think that the print head may have a small bit of ink clog which would prevent the nozzle test completing. But first I will have to deal with the right print head error.
Thanks for the reset info. I will do that to the current maintenance tank since it is at 40%. 

Dwight

deanwork

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2022, 07:25:28 pm »

When you cranked it up there could have been solid dried in in the line that was pushed into the tiny nozzles in the head.

From what I can see all of the ink lines filled up with ink. Before they were clearly empty with sections of ink and sections empty. I was worried the the ink had dried but I don't see any evidence of it.
I use to own a couple of epson 9600 printer that has set for three years. The ink in the lines, especially magenta was solid all the way from the heads to the ink tank. I had to run a stiff wire down the lines to break up the solid ink and then use a strong pump to pull fresh ink through.
I think that the print head may have a small bit of ink clog which would prevent the nozzle test completing. But first I will have to deal with the right print head error.
Thanks for the reset info. I will do that to the current maintenance tank since it is at 40%. 

Dwight

dwight_talley

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2022, 09:52:17 pm »

I agree that solid ink could have clogged the head. I wish the error code could tell me what head had the problem or the color.

Dwight

deanwork

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2022, 09:15:48 am »

That is the really frustrating thing about Canon error codes. When I got that vague error on mine the only thing I could see to do after following the repair manual sequence was replace the main board which I sourced from a guy in California for $800.00. And it wasn’t the problem. Ugh.

Canon was no longer supporting the model with info or parts. I was so sad because it was built like a tank and the most reliable printer I ever had by far. It could have been something simple electronically.  I really really miss it as a production machine at bidirectional, especially when I hear about all these insane things going on with the new Epsons giving people nightmares and wasting so much ink. You might ask around to see if there is some independent tech in your area to ask about it. I found out there was one in Atlanta but it was too late, I’d already given it away.

John

I agree that solid ink could have clogged the head. I wish the error code could tell me what head had the problem or the color.

Dwight

dwight_talley

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2022, 12:43:08 pm »

Ouch! there is nothing worse than spending a lot of money but the error is still there. My plan is to not go too deep in the rabbit hole on this printer. I have a new head arriving today and some head cleaner to clean out the old heads. It looks like everything was working yesterday except one head was not spraying all of the inks. If that is the only issue then the new head should fix the problem. I have my fingers crossed.  I think there is a random connection error associated with the right head also but will not know until I replace the head and see if I get a good nozzle check.

Dwight

dwight_talley

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2022, 06:06:07 pm »

Houston we have a problem.  The new and official Canon head did not fix the error about the right head.  Darn.  Also while looking at the head compartment I noticed that the ink lines on the right side were empty of ink. I swore that there was ink in them a few days ago when the printer went through the replenishing with ink process. I failed to take a photo of them then.  So, is there a relationship between the empty ink lines and the bad print head error message? Also the problem seems to be random since I was able to get to the nozzle check process a few days ago.

Questions:
1.  What should I look for in the ink supply section?
2.  Is there a known problem with the pump getting ink to the heads.
3.  I watched a video about looking for air leaks in the print head.  It shows that a tool was used but the video was from 2014 and I guess the tool is not available. Where can I get it?

I am starting to get tired of this printer already and I have not turned a screw yet.  Any info you can provide will be appreciated.

Dwight

dwight_talley

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2022, 09:17:10 pm »

I opened the right side of the printer and was able to trace the ink lines. They look full until you get to the top of the print head carriage. In the attached photo at the top center you see the lines go left and right. That is where there is no ink in the lines for the right side. I will have to slide the carriage to the center of the printer and draw ink through all of the lines, looking for an air leak. Fun fun fun.

Is there a manual way to start the replenishing ink process?

Dwight

dwight_talley

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2022, 10:05:57 pm »

Another update. I did a leak test on the right side ink tubes. No problem with a leak. I then opened up the valve and was able to pull ink from each color up to where the head connects. Still no problem. Now when I disconnected, the ink went back up the tube. I noticed that the ink stays in the tubes connected to the left head. Is there a leak where the ink lines connect to the right head? Need to run the replenishing again somehow.

Dwight

dwight_talley

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2022, 01:03:39 am »

I ran across a video where a person had Right print head error and air in the lines in his IPF 8410 printer. They removed the purge unit and cleaned it up and the printer worked fine after that.  Sound like the same problem I have, right head error and air in the lines.
I was concentrating my investigation on the purge unit because there was no flow of ink when the head was on the cap station. I have nothing to loose taking the purge unit out, so tomorrow comes the adventure.  Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIUDTAoTDes

Dwight
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up