Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z9+ in 2022  (Read 888 times)

kuau

HP Z9+ in 2022
« on: May 26, 2022, 03:14:30 pm »

My trusty Z3200 PS24 is officially dead and was wondering if anyone would recommend going with the Z9+ 24” model today.
I have read a lot of the posts talking about issues with the Z9, Mac OS, etc.. Have these issues been resolved yet.
Should I stay cleat of the HP Z9 altogether and just go with Epson??

Thanks

philh2o

Re: HP Z9+ in 2022
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 03:56:25 pm »

Similar scenario for me. My z3200 is 12-½ years old and is like an old car you love when it runs great but a PATA when it doesn't. Also, printheads and inks are getting very pricey. As the original poster asks, should I consider a switch or go with a newer HP?

Note that in my particular case the operating environment humidity requirement is a big factor in deciding. I live at 7,500 ft in Colorado with considerably low humidity which is why I went with the Z3200 in 2009. The head technology, self-servicing and low humidity spec sold me over Epson. However, if Epson is the 'best' option I'd install room-specific humidifier with a dedicated water line as the studio shares a common wall with the mechanical room and should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks!

mfrohman

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 07:03:00 pm »

I have 2 z3200s, one of which is awaiting my installation of a new fan and belt, and the other has an issue I've been unable to solve. Although they have been great machines for me, I have had issues for years with temperamental head strikes on dark prints on matte paper, causing me to run humidifiers and waste a lot of material on particularly hot, dry days in LA. After reading all the issues with the Z9s, I bought a Canon pro 4100 about 9 months ago and have not needed to run my humidifiers since. I think your humidity concern is in regard to clogging which I can't really speak to but I think that's more of an Epson issue. The Canon does have a replaceable printhead but it's one large one as opposed to 6 individual ones like the Z. It's early days on this machine for me but I would certainly have a look at Canon as well. I really wanted to stay with the Z series but I need to get up and running fast and the Canon delivered (although it is much bigger and heavier).
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 01:58:55 pm »

I really don't know. I have the very unit I did my review on. I left it for a long time without printing. Big mistake. This printer needs to be left on. I replaced some print heads. I now turn it on every week hoping to not have wasted another print head.
I have never been able to get the colours right on this printer. Since new, nor now. I have made custom profiles (the built in i1 results are trash). Yet I am almost thinking it has to have new print heads to bring it back to spec.
It does however print excellent B&W. It is fast quiet, and has some very nice tech like the vertical trimmer.
The only real regret I have is the colour is weak and hard to control in its current state.
What is great is the Dual roll, vertical trimmer, so many formats accepted, printing via email, usb servers etc.
In theory the i1 embedded spectra....

Pages: [1]   Go Up