Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using step wedge to set brightness on iPad  (Read 470 times)

FrankG

Using step wedge to set brightness on iPad
« on: May 19, 2022, 07:41:07 pm »

Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum to ask this. If not please point me in the right direction.

I have a calibrated iMac. I also have an iPad. Images that I prepare on the iMac for web/browser viewing, or viewing in iOS Photo albums, appear too dark on the iPad.

In IOS Settings>Display&Brightness, you have a brightness slider, and also an auto button to change brightness based on changing ambient light.
While I can use the slider to kinda 'match' the image brightness that I prepared on the iMac, it's a bit hit & miss. And I don't know how others will see it on their device.

I'm looking for a method, a benchmark to work with on the iPad.
To this end, in photoshop, I made a 21 step wedge and figure if I can see all the steps, or at least 20 of them, then the iPad brightness is set ok.
Do you concur?
Stepwedge attached

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Using step wedge to set brightness on iPad
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 08:09:06 pm »

Seems reasonable but don't expect a match elsewhere or that critical color correction on the device is ideal.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

FrankG

Re: Using step wedge to set brightness on iPad
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 08:51:05 pm »

True. There's no telling how someone else's device or display will show the image/s.
I think the majority of phone and tablet users are viewing with the brightness setting on auto

For now, I'd like to get a reasonable luminosity/brightness match on my iPad with images prepared and exported from a calibrated iMac.
The auto button and/or brightness slider in IOS doesn't provide any reference to tell if the screen is too dark or too bright.
I figured the step wedge could maybe provide that reference. You should be able to see at least 19 or 20 separate steps (ideally 21)
Pages: [1]   Go Up