Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple XDR Pro Display for Photo Editing  (Read 7108 times)

TechTalk

Re: Apple XDR Pro Display for Photo Editing
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2022, 08:11:07 pm »

The article that you referenced above contained several good examples of how this could work in the real world. However, I don't output to my monitor. I output to an Epson 9570 with specific papers, where the gamut of the printer/paper controls what can be printed... Of course,  depending upon the printer/paper gamut, it may be that the printer can hit those "extra" greens/blues that I can see with an Adobe RGB working space or those yellows/reds that I can see with a p3 working space. I suppose that the printer will still print those colors.

An illustration of what you're saying was included in the article that I previously linked in this post. As shown below...

Like the Epson printer + paper example above, a monitor also has its own native gamut which may extend beyond the boundaries of standard working space gamuts like Apple Display-P3, Adobe RGB, or sRGB. This is why I normally set the monitor to native color gamut and maximum contrast for viewing images, but may choose to reduce the contrast range of the monitor for final edits and soft proofing prints to insure a closer match to actual print contrast.

The primary limitations imposed by the Apple Pro Display XDR have nothing to do with Adobe RGB (1998) vs Apple Display-P3 color space or the color gamut of the monitor, only the reduction in user controls and options.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

hubell

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2022, 09:29:19 pm »

An illustration of what you're saying was included in the article that I previously linked in this post. As shown below...

Like the Epson printer + paper example above, a monitor also has its own native gamut which may extend beyond the boundaries of standard working space gamuts like Apple Display-P3, Adobe RGB, or sRGB. This is why I normally set the monitor to native color gamut and maximum contrast for viewing images, but may choose to reduce the contrast range of the monitor for final edits and soft proofing prints to insure a closer match to actual print contrast.

The primary limitations imposed by the Apple Pro Display XDR have nothing to do with Adobe RGB (1998) vs Apple Display-P3 color space or the color gamut of the monitor, only the reduction in user controls and options.

Yes, excellent article and the gamut comparisons are very useful in showing the relationship between the gamut of an inkjet printer/paper combination and the gamut of a monitor working space. The gamut of the P3 working space is a bit broader in the range of saturated yellows/oranges than the gamut of the Adobe RGB working space, and the Adobe RGB working space is a bit broader in the range of saturated cyan/blues. VERY similar, but slight differences in limited areas of the gamut of the printer/paper.

Manoli

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2022, 06:33:55 pm »

I am also aware that the human eye can cope with about 10 million colours so 24-bit images (8 per channel) are enough though I am not sure what the black to white range of the eye is.  Jane, my wife, seems to be able to see minor colour variations much better than I.  Perhaps I will retreat to B&W images!!

You should not be too surprised. According to the x-rite link below, 1 out of 255 women and 1 out of 12 men have some form of color vision deficiency. The online challenge is a much simplified way* to better understand your color vision acuity.

https://www.xrite.com/hue-test

* based on the Farnsworth Munsell 100 hue test.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 06:57:34 pm by Manoli »

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2022, 04:48:29 am »

According to the x-rite link below, 1 out of 255 women and 1 out of 12 men have some form of color vision deficiency. The online challenge is a much simplified way* to better understand your color vision acuity.

https://www.xrite.com/hue-test

* based on the Farnsworth Munsell 100 hue test.

This challenge is fascinating.  I have a friend, long retired, who worked at the BBC in the UK when colour  television was being introduced.  In developing the camera sensors and TV screens, rendering brown was the most problematic.  He said that the perception of brown was influenced by the colours around it in the image. 

Obviously there is a desire/need to get the relation between screen and print as good as possible and to render as many colours as possible, but I still think that the subjective aspect of viewer perception should come into the debate as well.  As image makers our view of what is on a computer screen or print is of how we remember the scene.  Unless one has the image alongside the actual scene how can one know if the image is a true representation?   

I am not decrying the debate about colour spaces and how different screens, printers and papers cope with these spaces.  I am just as interested in how viewer acuity and the ambient light can influence the impression of what is seen.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

hubell

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2022, 09:31:33 am »

This challenge is fascinating.  I have a friend, long retired, who worked at the BBC in the UK when colour  television was being introduced.  In developing the camera sensors and TV screens, rendering brown was the most problematic.  He said that the perception of brown was influenced by the colours around it in the image. 

Obviously there is a desire/need to get the relation between screen and print as good as possible and to render as many colours as possible, but I still think that the subjective aspect of viewer perception should come into the debate as well.  As image makers our view of what is on a computer screen or print is of how we remember the scene.  Unless one has the image alongside the actual scene how can one know if the image is a true representation?   

I am not decrying the debate about colour spaces and how different screens, printers and papers cope with these spaces.  I am just as interested in how viewer acuity and the ambient light can influence the impression of what is seen.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

I would suggest that you start a separate thread about the topic you have raised so that we can keep this topic focused on the specific issue raised in the topic.
Thanks.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2022, 02:16:13 pm »

I would suggest that you start a separate thread about the topic you have raised so that we can keep this topic focused on the specific issue raised in the topic.
Thanks.

Fair comment!  I am not sure I will start another hare running, though, but I will resist any more off-topic posts in this thread.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

hubell

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2022, 02:59:32 pm »

Fair comment!  I am not sure I will start another hare running, though, but I will resist any more off-topic posts in this thread.

Jonathan

Thanks.

ellettegildon

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2022, 01:10:55 pm »

I can't say that Apple loses to any device in the quality of everything. The iPhones, Macs, and iPads have the best quality displays, nice keyboards, and gentle finger pressure. I feel like a true professional when I work with iPad and the new Apple Pencil 2. I rarely resort to processing photos from my laptop or computer. Every year I read a lot of feedback on ZumRoad that the latest iPad Pro will be able to completely replace laptops and computers for designers, editors, programmers, and retouchers. Since I'm a student who moonlights as a photo and video processor, I need to create presentations, excel spreadsheets, and more. But even that can already be done on my iPad Pro 2021. People make realistic predictions.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 02:23:13 pm by ellettegildon »

TechTalk

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2022, 09:06:24 pm »

There isn't a contest to be won or lost. It's a matter of what product fits the needs and desires of an individual.

TechTalk

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2022, 04:33:15 pm »

My NEC PA322UHD 4k 31" monitor needs to be replaced.

So, did you replace it yet?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up