Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian Invasion  (Read 8264 times)

Peter McLennan

Re: Russian Invasion
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2022, 12:08:40 am »

In a connected world like ours, why are the NATO principals meeting NEXT WEEK in Brussels?  Time would appear to be of the essence.
Why the hell aren't they meeting TODAY? Don't they have secure comms?  WTF?

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2022, 01:51:25 pm »

. . . why are the NATO principals meeting NEXT WEEK in Brussels?  . . .  Why the hell aren't they meeting TODAY? Don't they have secure comms?

Meetings of heads of state and government are ceremonial events which are scheduled to announce decisions that have already been negotiated at lower levels—even an "extraordinary Summit" like the March 24 meeting announced by NATO Secretary-General Stoltenberg.  I suspect an important objective of the Brussels meeting is to maintain popular support for the sanctions, which are going to cause economic disruption in many of the participating countries.

I would be very surprised if civilian government and military representatives of all the NATO members weren't conducting daily conversations and negotiations both in international visits and over secure communication channels.

TechTalk

« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2022, 04:33:52 pm »

Slow and steady (and taking time to be on the same page with our allies) is IMHO, a better approach than being impulsive like, well you know who.  ;)

Exactly right. When the two nations, which between them posses over 90% of all the nuclear warheads in the world, are staring eye to eye in a serious confrontation; a deliberate, comprehensive, and cautious approach to every aspect and consideration of the situation is paramount to avoid miscalculations which can have catastrophic results.

I know that I'm not alone in thinking back on the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis as recent events have unfolded. There are two books of which I'm reminded. One is Thirteen Days, Robert F. Kennedy's account of that crisis as it unfolded, which was published posthumously in 1969. The other is The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman, which was published in 1962, about the origins of World War I. The book was a Pulitzer Prize winning bestseller at the time.

The Guns of August was read by President Kennedy in 1962 and it had a profound effect on him. He gave copies of the book to his closest civilian and military advisors with instructions to read it. The book's depiction of the overconfident errors in judgement and the speed at which events spun out of control, leading to a catastrophic war, was not lost on Kennedy.

Generally, I dislike most films "based on actual events" or historical docudramas because they usually stray too far from actual history for my liking. One exception is the 2000 film Thirteen Days which is not based on the RFK book by that name. It's based on the 1997 book The Kennedy Tapes: Inside the White House During the Cuban Missile Crisis which was written after tapes were released of White House discussions recorded during the crisis. Parts of the film are verbatim recreations from the tapes. The main historical criticism of the movie was their choice of using Kennedy friend and adviser Ken O'Donnell as a plot device to thread the various other participants together, but the accuracy in other respects is so good and revealing that I don't have a problem overlooking that bit of dramatic license and contrivance.

The reason that I mention the film is that there is a 90-second clip that accurately summarizes what weighed on Kennedy's mind in making decisions about how to proceed during the crisis...

https://www.youtube.com/Thirteen Days - They Fire Their Missiles, Then We Fire Ours

The world survived that confrontation in 1962. It wasn't until a few decades later that we learned just how close to the precipice we actually had been standing. It's fortunate that there was enough caution, doubt, and suspicion of overconfident advice that sanity eventually prevailed in the decisions and decision makers. May we always be so lucky.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 05:53:18 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Peter McLennan

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2022, 08:47:11 pm »

Even it Putin commanded a nuclear weapon attack on Ukraine, and even if his military were stupid enough to follow his orders, I have faith that the west would refrain from retaliating in kind.

I have been wrong about stuff before.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2022, 04:48:47 am »

I keep popping back here in the hope of picking up another Joe Kitchen gem regarding his "genius" guy Putin - have I missed anything? 8)
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2022, 08:11:18 am »

I keep popping back here in the hope of picking up another Joe Kitchen gem regarding his "genius" guy Putin - have I missed anything? 8)

I'm waiting for the Musk vs Putin duel at dawn: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2022/03/14/elon-musk-putin-fight-ukraine/7036541001/. I would really prefer not to make light of this, but reality intrudes.
--
Robert

TechTalk

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2022, 08:42:07 pm »

I have no doubt that there are some so blindly partisan that their historical reference point for Putin invading Ukraine only stretches back as far as Biden's inauguration. There isn't much that you can discuss intelligently with minds like that.

For anyone looking to elevate their view enough to observe a longer and broader historical vantage point, you may be interested in the recent PBS Frontline documentary Putin's Road to War. It premiered a couple of days ago and is now available on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/Putin's Road to War (full documentary) | FRONTLINE

Support Public Broadcasting

FRONTLINE tells the story of what led to Vladimir Putin’s war on Ukraine. Veteran filmmaker Michael Kirk and his team examine the events that shaped the Russian leader, the grievances that drive him and how a growing conflict with the West exploded into war in Europe.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/putins-road-to-war
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 02:23:38 pm by TechTalk »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2022, 09:16:04 pm »

Thanks, TT.  Off to watch them both.

Here's an excellent site for info why a no-fly zone is a non starter

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/ukraine-no-fly-zone-would-be-ineffective-dangerous-and-gift-putin

The whole site is treasure trove.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2022, 12:08:24 am »

I have no doubt that there are some so blindly partisan that their historical reference point for Putin invading Ukraine only stretches back as far as Biden's inauguration. There isn't much that you can discuss intelligently with minds like that.

For anyone looking to elevate their view enough to observe a longer and broader historical vantage point, you may be interested in the recent PBS Frontline documentary Putin's Road to War. It premiered a couple of days ago and is now available on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/Putin's Road to War (full documentary) | FRONTLINE

Support Public Broadcasting

FRONTLINE tells the story of what led to Vladimir Putin’s war on Ukraine. Veteran filmmaker Michael Kirk and his team examine the events that shaped the Russian leader, the grievances that drive him and how a growing conflict with the West exploded into war in Europe.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/putins-road-to-war

“Video unavailable”

wcarlew

« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2022, 01:35:41 pm »

“Video unavailable”
Use a VPN, it is worth watching.

TechTalk

« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2022, 02:07:18 pm »

I provided two links for the documentary, one link to YouTube and another to PBS. Both have the documentary video, but the PBS link has additional related content. Apparently neither work for you in Canada.

It appears that PBS has limited distribution rights. Content may be blocked in other countries. Using a VPN with a U.S. IP address is a possible option. I'm not sure what other options may work. There is something called PBS Passport for Canadian viewing, but I don't have details on how that works.

https://www.google.com/search?q=PBS+Frontline+blocked+in+Canada

https://www.countryvpn.com/how-to-watch-pbs-in-canada

https://www.vermontpbs.org/canada

For our Canadian Viewers

We appreciate our many viewers and supporters in Canada. We summarized helpful information below applicable to you. Any additional questions and suggestions are welcome!

Watch us - ALL original Vermont PBS online content is available for viewing in Canada. See our Schedule Page for all current broadcast times.

While over-the-air broadcasts reach beyond U.S. borders into Canada, online video may be subject to geo-filtering, which restricts the areas in Canada that can view PBS content. The terms of our agreements with producers and distributors sometimes limits streaming ability for some PBS programs outside the United States.

Our main channel is available in the Montréal area, and some other areas in Québec and Ontario. Some Québec residents may be able to acquire our WETK broadcast signal. Otherwise we are available via cable providers:  Axion; Bell Fibe TV ; and Videotron.

TechTalk

« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2022, 02:11:26 pm »

Thanks, TT.  Off to watch them both.

Here's an excellent site for info why a no-fly zone is a non starter

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/ukraine-no-fly-zone-would-be-ineffective-dangerous-and-gift-putin

The whole site is treasure trove.

Thank you for the link! I've been exploring their site and there is much worth diving into! I was not familiar with the organization or their site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_United_Services_Institute

The Royal United Services Institute (RUSI, Rusi), registered as Royal United Service Institute for Defence and Security Studies and formerly the Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies, is a British defence and security think tank. It was founded in 1831 by the Duke of Wellington, Sir Arthur Wellesley.

TechTalk

« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2022, 02:26:59 pm »

Use a VPN, it is worth watching.

Like other PBS Frontline documentaries, it does an excellent job of illuminating a historical and present path and showing who, what, when, where, why, and how that path has been walked.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2022, 03:05:39 pm »

Some Chinese companies are benefitting from the depreciating rouble and the current situation in Russia.

Major Chinese Android smartphone brands are seeing robust demand this month in Russia, boosted by increased local consumer spending on essential electronics devices, as international sanctions against the invasion of Ukraine sent the rouble in free fall.

"Russian retailers are setting the price higher every few days to make up for the exchange loss," said Ivan Lam, Hong Kong-based analyst at Counterpoint Research. "People are buying everything from smartphones to home appliances before the currency further depreciates."

Sales of smartphones from Huawei Technologies Co, Oppo and Vivo significantly increased in the first two weeks of March, according to a report by Russian daily newspaper Kommersant on Wednesday, citing data from the country's largest mobile network operator MTS.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ukraine-invasion-russian-consumers-rush-093000711.html

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2022, 03:35:24 pm »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2022, 09:49:18 pm »

Like other PBS Frontline documentaries, it does an excellent job of illuminating a historical and present path and showing who, what, when, where, why, and how that path has been walked.

I love Frontline.  Some of the best journalism out there.  I was most disappointed with the geo-restriction.

FWIW, a VPN causes havoc with Adobe CC subscriptions.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2022, 10:03:55 pm »

I love Frontline.  Some of the best journalism out there.  I was most disappointed with the geo-restriction.

FWIW, a VPN causes havoc with Adobe CC subscriptions.

I haven't investigated it but here in eastern Ontario, if you become a member of your nearest PBS station, you will get online access to content that is not normally available. I don't know what it costs to do that, there must be a sort of minimum membership that gets you that level of access. This is no different than subscribing to Netflix or Britbox or anything else. The advertisement-based model of news delivery seems to be gone, so other ways have emerged. The advantage for a public affairs deliverer of being beholden only to listeners and not to your advertizers is self-evident.
--
Robert

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2022, 04:58:39 am »

“Video unavailable”

Available in South Africa - excellent documentary - thanks!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2023, 01:47:38 am »

Western journalist interviews in Moscow a local resident asking him how is the situation in Russia now. He replies:" I can't complain".

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2023, 09:35:55 pm »

Short BBC Report from Moscow about the mood there https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-65454203.
--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up