Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My idea for a flexible, efficient film scanning setup. Could use help/advice.  (Read 694 times)

SureShot

I have the parts for a Polaroid MP-4 copy stand besides the column and baseboard.

The stand can mount the Polaroid MP4 4x5 Land Camera or any typical camera body with the Universal Adapter. It also had a standard enlarger attachment but I know of someone who can adapt many enlargers to mount on it. Whatever is mounted can be rotated on every axis, possibly for horizontal projection for very large prints.

Standard 4x5 backs can be mounted to the Polaroid Land camera with bellows and lens board. I would like to get a scanning back, such as BetterLight, Phase One etc. to use with the set of Tominon lenses designed for the MP-4. and achieve similar results to high end dedicated film scanners on a system that can do more than scan film. In the meantime I can always use a Bayer camera adapted to the lenses for faster, usable scans.

For film holder/transport I am adapting the Beseler Negatrans, instead of the $300 Negative Supply carrier, to a raised platform above the Negative Supply 4x5 99 CRI light source. I could even motorize the Negatrans and sync it to an IR sensor to auto index frames if I'm really keen.

In summary a system that can be a regular copy stand, up to 8x10 enlarger for giant wall projected prints and high end line scanner for film or anything else. In one package. Or so I hope. Ideally, I'd like to provide high quality scans and large traditional prints as a service.

Tell me what you think I've missed or could do better with this arrangement. I especially need help finding the components, they're pretty scarce and expensive. It could take me a few years. My current priority is getting it functional for scanning negatives. Right now what I need most are the MP4 baseboard, column and universal camera mount. I appreciate any help finding those outside of ebay.

Thanks for reading and I will update if I make progress.
Pages: [1]   Go Up