Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From Hasselblad H5D-60 (CCD) to Phase One IQ 380 or IQ3100 Trichromatic  (Read 2233 times)

matto

Hi everyone
I plan to change to Phase One with an XF body and either the IQ 380 CCD sensor or the 100 Trichromatic. Having used a Hasselblad H5D-60 with a CCD sensor for many years making my own large-format prints (Epson SC-P9000; Colorbyte Imageprint 12), I have always been very pleased by the smooth and noise-free „looks“ produced by this analogue sensor type. In contrast to full frame CMOS sensors with a high pixel count (I had a Nikon D850 and a Pentax K-1, sold both of them again after a short period) I am still convinced of the superiority of the CCD sensors as long as you stay at base ISO, do not need life-view and rely on a very sturdy tripod … With my Hasselblad I used most of the time the marvelous HD 50 ll lense which has an incredible sharpness right to the edges, and a HD 150 N, which is also a very good performer IMHO.

I would be very interested in your experiences and preferences working with either one, the IQ380 CCD and/ or the IQ 100 Trichromatic. Also, I wonder if my lense preferrals within the Phase One world, a blue ring 45 mm and a blue ring 150 mm would be smart choices. Unfortunately there is no 50mm and the 55mm seems to be dated and no match to the Hasselblad 50 ll.

The reasons for my wish to change the ecosystem are: I want to use again world‘s best RAW converter which is undoubtedly Capture One; I would like to have „the last and best ever produced CCD sensor“ – pixelcount-wise this must be the IQ 380; I want to leave Hasselblad because this now Chinese-owned Company said goodbye to the top-end niche of photography for quite a while (sadly preferring to mess with Fuji on the „Mini-MF“ market). 

Thank you all for any advice – if you want to know what I typically do, check-out matthiaskalt.com

Best regards, Matthias

Joe Towner

Re: From Hasselblad H5D-60 (CCD) to Phase One IQ 380 or IQ3100 Trichromatic
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 11:11:32 am »

Go for it - the IQ1/IQ2 80mp also is amazing, I think the IQ380 only added longer exposures times as a big feature.  I would recommend you try them both the CCD & Trichromatic, figure a day with a dealer should have you walking away with the right setup.

If you get lucky and find an H mount 80mp in either the IQ or Credo line, you should give it a look.
t: @PNWMF

Ray Harrison

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 12:36:46 pm »

The 80mp backs are terrific, with the 380 giving you longer exposure times as Joe mentioned. Truly lovely files. I wish that I'd kept my Credo 80. The Trichromatic files are also something to behold in how they deal with color, and the live view on the IQ100+ backs is worlds better than any CCD, if that's something you use. The Trichromatic also comes with a ProStandard ICC profile, which to me is one of the unsung heroes of Capture One in the last couple of years. I hate to say it (because it doesn't help you), but it would be hard to go wrong with either back.

EDIT: Forgot to say also that I own the 45mm 3.5 / 150mm 2.8 BR lenses. They are exceptional and sharp. And heavy of course.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 05:13:16 am by Ray Harrison »

matto

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 02:50:28 am »

Thanks for your advice – I‘ll go for the 380 then. But it may take a while to get a CPO according to Phase One, as there are not so many out there – unless I‘d find one myself. Any one who‘d like to sell his 380 Back?
My RRS tripod is already waiting for the heavy lenses …

Ray Harrison

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 05:10:54 am »

The used camera site MPB has a couple: https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equipment/used-accessories/used-photo-and-video-accessories/used-other-photo-and-video-accessories/phase-one-iq3-80-digital-back/ but obviously they don’t offer warranties or service. I purchased my wonderful Credo 80 from there and they are accurate in assessing used quality. They have a presence in the US, UK and several European countries.

Ideally, I’d recommend a vendor partner instead. Capture Integration is a great one here in the US who sold me my current backs. Check with Steve Hendrix there and he may have one or have additional insight on when one might be in the pipeline. They provide warranties on used equipment and help with service, both in-house and if it needs to go back to Phase.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 05:21:20 am by Ray Harrison »

Jan K.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 05:54:11 am »

...but obviously they don’t offer warranties...
That's not correct. You get 6 month of warrenty, https://www.mpb.com/en-us/help/warranty/

I've bought from them in UK/EU and got very good prices for gear traded in.

Highly recommended.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 07:36:07 am »

That's not correct. You get 6 month of warrenty, https://www.mpb.com/en-us/help/warranty/

I've bought from them in UK/EU and got very good prices for gear traded in.

Highly recommended.

That's good to know, for sure. I don't recall that the limited warranty was as long as 6 months when I purchased from them several years ago but perhaps it was. I've found the warranty from the P1 vendors to be more "full service" - they typically have the folks and equipment on staff to do at least some basic work on the backs, they help with loaners and they have good relationships with Phase should the back need to go in for repairs. I agree with you though, MBP is a great site and a great experience and absolutely recommend them.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 06:49:25 pm »

That's good to know, for sure. I don't recall that the limited warranty was as long as 6 months when I purchased from them several years ago but perhaps it was. I've found the warranty from the P1 vendors to be more "full service" - they typically have the folks and equipment on staff to do at least some basic work on the backs, they help with loaners and they have good relationships with Phase should the back need to go in for repairs. I agree with you though, MBP is a great site and a great experience and absolutely recommend them.

Hi Ray - thank you for recommending me and the company I work for.

In addition, I might add that we certainly inspect our digital backs in a more comprehensive manner than mpb.com would, and we also provide a full one year warranty on every pre-owned, certified digital back that we offer. And yes, in the event of not everything working perfectly, our entire company is dedicated to these specific products, with regard to expertise on best practices/optimal operation, or diagnosing issues that may or may not be related to hardware. In person, or via phone, via email, via remote communications, etc.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 05:43:24 pm »

Hi everyone
I plan to change to Phase One with an XF body and either the IQ 380 CCD sensor or the 100 Trichromatic. Having used a Hasselblad H5D-60 with a CCD sensor for many years making my own large-format prints (Epson SC-P9000; Colorbyte Imageprint 12), I have always been very pleased by the smooth and noise-free „looks“ produced by this analogue sensor type. In contrast to full frame CMOS sensors with a high pixel count (I had a Nikon D850 and a Pentax K-1, sold both of them again after a short period) I am still convinced of the superiority of the CCD sensors as long as you stay at base ISO, do not need life-view and rely on a very sturdy tripod … With my Hasselblad I used most of the time the marvelous HD 50 ll lense which has an incredible sharpness right to the edges, and a HD 150 N, which is also a very good performer IMHO.

Fair enough, but from someone who went from an H series to an X1D, I suggest you are not comparing apples to apples. I also own a high megapixel "full frame" or 35mm camera but it is noisy as you say. The X1D and probably most other medium format CMOS cameras of 50MP are noise free at 800 or more ISO. For most use you can take a small crop and still get a good image.

In my opinion after two years of use I consider SLR cameras as steam engines and have hardly used my Canon since. Great in their time but lots of moving parts. If you really need more than 50MP then OK, but not many do. The X1D is small , light and easy to use. EVF take some time to get used to but you can look through the viewfinder and get a clear view in very low light. Plus it uses the lenses and process you are used to and it would probably be a lot cheaper brand new.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up