Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid General discussions  (Read 13546 times)

chez

Re: Covid General discussions
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2022, 06:52:03 pm »

The article was apparently trying to prove that Omicron is very dangerous by repeating the word Omicron about seven times. They were setting up the reader to believe this woman died from it.  Yet, they never reported that she actually died from Omicron. In fact, the only person who claimed what she died from was her son, nor did he claim it was Omicron?  He just claimed it was Covid which means it could have been the more dangerous variant of Delta.  In any case, was he a doctor?   Did he test his mom?  How does he know what she died from?   Fake news to scare us about Omicron.  If I claimed this, you guys would be all over me for assuming stuff.   

Why does it matter so much to you what strain it was. You have about the same chance of dying today as you had a year ago...same number of people are dying from Covid. Sure the Delta strain was more deadly...but it's spread was much less. The Omicon seems less deadly but it's spread is much greater. The end result is the same...just as many people are dying.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2022, 01:26:05 am »

Why does it matter so much to you what strain it was. You have about the same chance of dying today as you had a year ago...same number of people are dying from Covid. Sure the Delta strain was more deadly...but it's spread was much less. The Omicon seems less deadly but it's spread is much greater. The end result is the same...just as many people are dying.

How do you know the woman died of Covid? The reporter never checked with the attending physician, never checked with the hospital, and never checked the death certificate.  In fact, the reporter never stated what the woman died from.  Like I said, the article was clickbait. It certainly wasn't journalism.

chez

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2022, 12:40:25 pm »

How do you know the woman died of Covid? The reporter never checked with the attending physician, never checked with the hospital, and never checked the death certificate.  In fact, the reporter never stated what the woman died from.  Like I said, the article was clickbait. It certainly wasn't journalism.

Alan, you believe what you want. Go ahead and hang with a bunch of infected people and let us all know how that turns out. After all, you won’t believe anyone else.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2022, 08:41:38 pm »

Alan, you believe what you want. Go ahead and hang with a bunch of infected people and let us all know how that turns out. After all, you won’t believe anyone else.
I never said I didn't respect Omicron.  I said the article is fake news, click bait trying to sell to advertisers.   

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2022, 03:53:45 pm »

On the light side.  A little story about masks.

A fleeing Taliban terrorist, desperate for water, was plodding through the Afghan desert when he saw something far off in the distance. 
Hoping to find water, he hurried toward the mirage, only to find a very frail little old man standing at a small makeshift display rack - selling masks.

The Taliban terrorist asked, "Do you have water?"

The old man replied, "I have no water. Would you like to buy a mask? They are only $5."

The Taliban shouted hysterically, "Idiot Infidel! I do not need such an over-priced western adornment. I spit on your masks. I need water! 

"Sorry, I have none, just masks - and only $5."

"Pahh! A curse on your masks! I should wrap one around your scrawny little neck and choke the life out of you but . . . I must conserve my energy and find water!"

"Okay," said the little old man. "It does not matter that you do not want to buy a mask from me, or that you hate me, threaten my life, and call me infidel. I will show you that I am bigger than any of that. If you continue over that hill to the east for about two miles, you will find a restaurant. It has the finest food and all the ice-cold water you need. Go In Peace."

Cursing him again, the desperate Taliban staggered away, over the hill. 

Several hours later, he crawled back, almost dead, and gasped, "They won't let me in without a mask!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2022, 04:50:24 pm »

So yesterday morning I got sick for the first time in two years. Sneezing, congestion, and eyes tearing.  Worried that it was Covid, I slept in a different room from my wife and tried to isolate myself.  This morning I decided to take the in-house Covid test we had ordered previously where you send out to the lab and get a full medical test on it and get the results back in two or three days.  Unfortunately, for some reason, the testing organization didn't accept the serial number on it so I couldn't do it.  You have to connect with them on Zoom to do the test. 

So my wife went out to a nearby pharmacy and got the instant test that's supposedly 94% accurate if you have it and 98% accurate if it comes up negative.  It came in a two-test packet for US$36.  I did it as she did as well and we both came up negative.  So I guess I just have a cold.  She's still staying away from me and making me sleep in the other room.  :)

chez

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2022, 06:14:10 pm »

I never said I didn't respect Omicron.  I said the article is fake news, click bait trying to sell to advertisers.

Exactly what makes this fake news? The son says his mom died from Covid and that is what was reported on by at least 5 different new agencies. What makes you think someone is lying here? I don't get your logic.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2022, 06:24:31 pm »

So my wife went out to a nearby pharmacy and got the instant test that's supposedly 94% accurate if you have it and 98% accurate if it comes up negative.  It came in a two-test packet for US$36.  I did it as she did as well and we both came up negative.  So I guess I just have a cold.  She's still staying away from me and making me sleep in the other room.

She is doing the smart thing.  I wouldn't put much trust in negative results from antigen tests.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2022, 08:56:47 pm »

Exactly what makes this fake news? The son says his mom died from Covid and that is what was reported on by at least 5 different new agencies. What makes you think someone is lying here? I don't get your logic.
The article repeated the word Omicron about seven times although no one, not even the son, said she died from Omicron.  The reporter seems too anxious to associate Omicron with the death of the mom. It's as if he trying to show how dangerous Omicron is.  Well, it might be.  But since we don't know if the woman died from it, it seems like he was trying to make a case that doesn't exist.    The whole thing smells like a setup.  It's not journalism but political reporting.  It's like watching CNN or Fox.

By the way, it doesn't matter if 50 reports said the same thing.  One news reporter often repeats what others report.  Often they're bylines where a newspaper buys the article from another newspaper because they don't have the staff of reporters the first has. 

In any case, the journalist has to be responsible for his article and what he knows because he's reporting in his article. If he's using another reporter's research or article, he has a responsibility to report in the article such as, "...the NY Times reports that the mom died of Omicron."  He never did that so he takes full responsibility for his report.  That's how journalism is supposed to work. 

Unfortunately today, too many reporters think they're social scientists and can report what they feel or believe.  That's why we have so much fake news.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2022, 09:09:23 pm »

She is doing the smart thing.  I wouldn't put much trust in negative results from antigen tests.
Chris, I checked it on the web to get the 94% and 98%.  After your post, I looked it up in the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) report.  They also reported that my instant test was 94% accurate if it showed positive and 98% accurate of reported as negative.  So what should I believe?  Your point confirms my previous argument that you can't trust anything even and maybe especially the so-called science by government.  This was the complaint of the medical community.  That nothing is accurate, that nothing can be trusted.  So what is the average person supposed to do?

Here is the FDA sheet on my test.  It says in the Clinical Section:

Positive Agreement: (33/35) 94.3%; 95% Confidence Interval: 81.4% to 98.4%
Negative Agreement: (102/104) 98.1%; 95% Confidence Interval: 93.3% to 99.5%

https://www.fda.gov/media/153923/download#:~:text=The%20iHealth%C2%AE%20COVID%2D19%20Antigen%20Rapid%20Test%20when%20conducted,identified%2098.1%25%20of%20negative%20samples.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2022, 09:12:30 pm »

PS  My wife is staying away from me because it seems I have a bad cold.  ;)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2022, 09:59:22 pm »

PS  My wife is staying away from me because it seems I have a bad cold.  ;)

No other reason?

chez

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2022, 10:56:26 pm »

The article repeated the word Omicron about seven times although no one, not even the son, said she died from Omicron.  The reporter seems too anxious to associate Omicron with the death of the mom. It's as if he trying to show how dangerous Omicron is.  Well, it might be.  But since we don't know if the woman died from it, it seems like he was trying to make a case that doesn't exist.    The whole thing smells like a setup.  It's not journalism but political reporting.  It's like watching CNN or Fox.

By the way, it doesn't matter if 50 reports said the same thing.  One news reporter often repeats what others report.  Often they're bylines where a newspaper buys the article from another newspaper because they don't have the staff of reporters the first has. 

In any case, the journalist has to be responsible for his article and what he knows because he's reporting in his article. If he's using another reporter's research or article, he has a responsibility to report in the article such as, "...the NY Times reports that the mom died of Omicron."  He never did that so he takes full responsibility for his report.  That's how journalism is supposed to work. 

Unfortunately today, too many reporters think they're social scientists and can report what they feel or believe.  That's why we have so much fake news.

How the hell are you so sure what the son said? You believe so much BS without any facts yet you are hung up on this? Really Alan...after all the fake news these last few years you tied into and believed and now you are hung up on this? Come on.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2022, 11:13:41 pm »

So what should I believe?

You may want to read the dosing instructions at the link you posted again, this time more carefully:

A negative result means that viral antigens from COVID-19 were not detected and that the individual is presumed negative for COVID-19.
  • Please note that negative results do not rule out COVID-19.
  • In case of negative test result: Continue to follow all social distancing recommendations and take protective measures. If suspicions of infection persist and/or your first test is negative, repeat the test after 1-2 days and consult your healthcare provider or local COVID-19 center.
  • Note: A negative result is presumptive and confirmation with a molecular assay, if necessary, for patient management may be performed.

As I said in my earlier post, I wouldn't put much trust in a negative result from an antigen test.  As far as I have been able to determine, only a negative result from a molecular test (and preferably a couple of them, taken perhaps 24-36 hours apart) confers reasonable assurance that you have not been infected.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2022, 12:26:39 am »

How the hell are you so sure what the son said? You believe so much BS without any facts yet you are hung up on this? Really Alan...after all the fake news these last few years you tied into and believed and now you are hung up on this? Come on.
I am reporting what the article said he said. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2022, 12:45:44 am »

You may want to read the dosing instructions at the link you posted again, this time more carefully:

As I said in my earlier post, I wouldn't put much trust in a negative result from an antigen test.  As far as I have been able to determine, only a negative result from a molecular test (and preferably a couple of them, taken perhaps 24-36 hours apart) confers reasonable assurance that you have not been infected.

If the tests are so inaccurate why does the government say my negative result is 98% accurate?Why is Biden wasting his time ordering 500 million tests?  Do you see why the average person questions if the government knows what it is doing and the advice it's giving?

In any case, I feel like I have a regular cold.  I'm feeling a little better and other typical Covid symptoms haven't occurred.  Hopefully that's all it is. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2022, 12:47:21 am »

i'm sure that disappoints some people here  ;)

DavidJ

• http://www.pistyllphoto.org.uk
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2022, 06:45:35 am »

Antigen tests give a reasonable indication if you are infectious to others. A figure I have seen recently in the UK suggests that they will pick up about 80% of folk who are infectious. What they do not do is give a reliable indication if you have the virus. For that the PCR is the gold standard. So lateral flow tests are useful but by no means reliable seems the best description. I have noticed that all the lateral flow tests I have used in the UK have been made in China. Is that the case in the States?
David Allen

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2022, 07:10:02 am »

Antigen tests give a reasonable indication if you are infectious to others. A figure I have seen recently in the UK suggests that they will pick up about 80% of folk who are infectious. What they do not do is give a reliable indication if you have the virus. For that the PCR is the gold standard. So lateral flow tests are useful but by no means reliable seems the best description. I have noticed that all the lateral flow tests I have used in the UK have been made in China. Is that the case in the States?
The "instant" test I took from iHealth is an Antigen Rapid Test with the strip that has one or two lines that appear after taking a nose swab sample. It says that if you come up negative, you should take at least another test.  So I'll have my wife pick up another two test box at the pharmacy.  This test was made in China.

I have another test that I received a couple of weeks ago.  It's where you send the saliva sample back for processing to their lab that takes 2-3 days for results. That's the one that does a Zoom meeting to take you through the test.  Unfortunately, their website did not take the serial number from the kit and would not proceed.  I tried contacting them but they haven't returned my call or email.  That's very disappointing.  That's why I took the iHealth instant test as a backup. The company handling the processing is called Vault Health.  But the test is actually made by Spectrum Solutions in Draper, Utah although the box says it was Made in Mexico.  The test is named SDNA-1000.  Here's the link.  Is this a PCR test?
https://spectrumsolution.com/?s=sdna-1000

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2022, 07:12:36 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up