Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid General discussions  (Read 13607 times)

Peter McLennan

Re: Covid General discussions
« Reply #260 on: February 11, 2022, 08:28:29 pm »

Only Deplorables would come up with an idea to call and misuse the 911 emergency numbers and jeopardize lives of people who really need help and assistance.
Also hurting and inconveniencing majority of law-abiding truckers.

Absolutely. Only Deplorables.

Note that this action would have taken organization, planning and communication.  Those functions are undoubtedly a matter of record.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #261 on: February 11, 2022, 08:40:01 pm »

What's interesting is that it's Canadian truckers doing this not Americans.  With all the finger-pointing at American independent actions and anti-vaxers, it turns out Canadians are the ones acting like delinquents.  I'm disappointed in the lack of civility from our northern neighbors.  It's like the world's been turned upside down.    :o

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #262 on: February 11, 2022, 08:45:46 pm »

What's interesting is that it's Canadian truckers doing this not Americans. 
This will fall on one man's deaf ears (start with the facts):
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/11/what-u-s-truckers-really-want-a-place-to-sleep-00008188
Start with the facts. Truck drivers in the U.S. already don’t have to wear masks, and the vast majority are not required to be vaccinated against Covid, unless they plan to cross an international border.
The U.S. Teamsters union issued a statement Thursday saying it “denounces” the blockade, adding: “Our members are some of the hardest workers in the country and are being prevented from doing their jobs.”
I'm disappointed in the lack of civility from our northern neighbors.
I'm disappointed in the lack of intelligence from their southern neighbors posting here.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #263 on: February 11, 2022, 08:57:36 pm »

What's interesting is that it's Canadian truckers doing this not Americans.  With all the finger-pointing at American independent actions and anti-vaxers, it turns out Canadians are the ones acting like delinquents.  I'm disappointed in the lack of civility from our northern neighbors.  It's like the world's been turned upside down.    :o

Ottawa police said Thursday that a significant amount of calls that “almost jammed” the city’s 911 phone system on Wednesday evening came from U.S. addresses.

“They were coming in from the United States,” Ottawa police chief Peter Sloly said in a news conference Thursday. “Not exclusively, but significantly from United States addresses.”

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #264 on: February 11, 2022, 09:05:12 pm »

Ottawa police said Thursday that a significant amount of calls that “almost jammed” the city’s 911 phone system on Wednesday evening came from U.S. addresses.

“They were coming in from the United States,” Ottawa police chief Peter Sloly said in a news conference Thursday. “Not exclusively, but significantly from United States addresses.”
The nuisance 9-11 calls from the US are terrible and should be prosecuted.  But what does that have to do with Canadian truckers and Canada's inability to open their roads?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #265 on: February 11, 2022, 09:22:55 pm »

The nuisance 9-11 calls from the US are terrible and should be prosecuted.  But what does that have to do with Canadian truckers and Canada's inability to open their roads?

I guess that the callers are professional troublemakers in USA jumping at any opportunity to disrupt orderly situations in USA and Canada. One of these situations is the Canadian Truckers Protest. Or do you think that the callers were Russian hackers?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2022, 09:49:17 pm »

I guess that the callers are professional troublemakers in USA jumping at any opportunity to disrupt orderly situations in USA and Canada. One of these situations is the Canadian Truckers Protest. Or do you think that the callers were Russian hackers?
You're blaming the 9-11 calls for "disrupting the orderly situation in Canada" and not the truckers blocking traffic which started weeks ago. 9-11 calls have nothing to do with feckless Canadian leaders who don't know how to clear the roads of trucks blocking traffic and arresting the perpetrators.   That's an excuse and diversion. It shows a total lack of leadership. All it's going to do is encourage more civil disobedience. 

It reminds me of 1/6 and the BLM riots that were allowed to go on without police stopping them.  It led to the attack on the Capitol and rioting and looting in the BLM demonstrations. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2022, 10:34:02 pm »

You're blaming the 9-11 calls for "disrupting the orderly situation in Canada" and not the truckers blocking traffic which started weeks ago. 9-11 calls have nothing to do with feckless Canadian leaders who don't know how to clear the roads of trucks blocking traffic and arresting the perpetrators.   That's an excuse and diversion. It shows a total lack of leadership. All it's going to do is encourage more civil disobedience. 

I guess you missed the headline in the article link posted by Peter. But I agree with you that the current situation will encourage more copycats and disobedience.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #268 on: February 11, 2022, 10:59:36 pm »

I guess you missed the headline in the article link posted by Peter. But I agree with you that the current situation will encourage more copycats and disobedience.
The headline I read said the 9-11 calls were coming from the USA.  So what.  That has nothing to do with truckers blocking roads and the total lack of leadership of Canadian politicians to get the trucks off the road.  How hard is that to do?  The mayor or whoever is in charge gives his police chief 24 hours to clear the bridge of trucks and arrest the truckers or he'll replace the chief.  What are they waiting for?  Eh?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #269 on: February 11, 2022, 11:30:57 pm »

Of course, truckers ignored the courts.  The whole thing is civil disobedience.  The truckers knew they were breaking the law from the beginning.  Nothing's changed for them.  The courts can't move trucks.  Only the police can do that.  What are they waiting for? 

Meanwhile, Russia and China are watching the western nations stumblebum around looking helpless while Russia has 160,000 troops at the Ukraine border and China buzzes Taiwan constantly with 30 and 40 fighter jets and bombers reminding the Taiwanese that they're coming.  Iran is building nukes as quickly as they can and North Korea is testing ICBM's again while Biden is napping and wondering why his Depends pads cost so much.

Protesters defy injunction order, continue to occupy key U.S.-Canada bridge
WINDSOR, Ontario/WASHINGTON, Feb 11 (Reuters) - Protesters opposing pandemic restrictions were still occupying a vital Canada-U.S. trade corridor on Friday, hours after an injunction order to end the blockade that has disrupted North America's auto industry took effect.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has promised President Joe Biden quick action to end the crisis and earlier on Friday a Canadian judge ordered an end to the four-day-long blockade of the Ambassador Bridge, North America's busiest land border crossing.

That order came into effect at 7 p.m. Eastern Time (0000 GMT) but more two than hours after the deadline, about 200 protesters, including children, milled around the entrance to the bridge, waving Canadian flags, while others set off fireworks.

Police, who started to gather in a parking lot a few blocks away from the protesters, began handing out pamphlets that outlined penalties under Ontario's emergency order, which takes effect at midnight.

Trudeau earlier told reporters that no action was off the table.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canada-protests-enter-third-week-sophisticated-demonstrators-dig-2022-02-11/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2022, 12:04:12 am »

Here's picture of the Canadian trucker girlfriend of the American bison guy who broke into the US capitol.

A protester with a Canadian flag painted in her hair walks the line as demonstrators continue to protest the Covid-19 mandates.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #271 on: February 12, 2022, 07:31:13 am »

The Worldometer 7-day avg of daily deaths in the US is still stubbornly above 2000.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #272 on: February 12, 2022, 07:38:56 am »

An aside, I've lost the links now but a friend sent me some Twitter postings from Ottawa area sex workers offering "freedom convoy" discounts. I'm not on Twitter and don't follow any posters there, and I hadn't realized how much it's used by those in that line of work. Must be the ones who couldn't make it to the Super Bowl.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #273 on: February 12, 2022, 07:46:22 am »

A year or two ago, the Alberta government set up what they called a "War Room" to monitor out-of-country funding of activities that impeded important economic sectors. At the time, I think they were worried about groups like Green Peace funding local Alberta environmental activists. I presume they had a problem with foreign money helping those groups, odd since foreign investment in general does not bother them. I wonder if the War Room can (or is) being used to track foreign funding of the trucker disruptions. If the investigative infrastructure is there, might as well use it. OTOH, after the initial announcement, I have never heard another thing about the place. Does anyone know if it's still active?
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #274 on: February 12, 2022, 09:16:55 am »

An aside, I've lost the links now but a friend sent me some Twitter postings from Ottawa area sex workers offering "freedom convoy" discounts. I'm not on Twitter and don't follow any posters there, and I hadn't realized how much it's used by those in that line of work. Must be the ones who couldn't make it to the Super Bowl.
Speaking of the Super Bowl reminds me of an ad going around on Twitter.

SUPER BOWL TICKETS
Our neighbor's son has 2 Super Bowl tickets, at the 40 yd line. box seats.  He paid $2500/ea but didn't realize last year when he bought them that it was going to be on the same day as his wedding.  Probably because of the extra game this yr.  If you know of someone who's interested, he's looking for someone to take his place ... It's at Calvary Church in San Clemente at 3pm.  The bride's name is Nicole.  She's 5'4", about 115 lbs., good cook too.  She'll be the one in the white dress.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #275 on: February 12, 2022, 09:30:27 am »

A year or two ago, the Alberta government set up what they called a "War Room" to monitor out-of-country funding of activities that impeded important economic sectors. At the time, I think they were worried about groups like Green Peace funding local Alberta environmental activists. I presume they had a problem with foreign money helping those groups, odd since foreign investment in general does not bother them. I wonder if the War Room can (or is) being used to track foreign funding of the trucker disruptions. If the investigative infrastructure is there, might as well use it. OTOH, after the initial announcement, I have never heard another thing about the place. Does anyone know if it's still active?
I don't know about funding for the blockade from America, but our businesses are really in a quandary. Between not being able to offload ships in California to the blocking of supplies from Canada, we Americans might have to start making our own stuff soon. I just checked the news and blockade continues despite the injunction against it.  Well, what did they expect?  Meanwhile, the cops are still trying to figure out what to do.  Where's the RCMP when you need them?

US business groups called on the Canadian government to 'swiftly' resolve the trucker-led protest at the border that's wreaking even more havoc on supply chains
Things are backed up – again.

But it's not at the port of Long Beach, California, this time — it's at several border crossings between the US and Canada, where trucker-inspired protests against COVID restrictions and vaccine mandates have partially blocked the flow of traffic and goods.

In response, three major US business advocacy groups have now raised concerns.

The blockages are "adding to the significant supply chain strains on manufacturers and other businesses in the United States," per a statement released jointly by the US Chamber of Commerce, Business Roundtable and National Association of Manufacturers on Thursday, according to CNN.

https://www.businessinsider.com/business-groups-call-for-canadian-government-to-resolve-trucker-protest-2022-2?nr_email_referer=1&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Business_Insider_select&pt=385758&ct=Sailthru_BI_Newsletters&mt=8&utm_campaign=Insider%20Select%202022-02-12&utm_term=INSIDER%20SELECT%20-%20ENGAGED%2C%20ACTIVE%2C%20PASSIVE%2C%20DISENGAGED%2C%20NEW

Hours after a court ordered demonstrators to stop blocking access to the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor, Ontario, protesters were still there late Friday night, but in lesser numbers. Police officers were standing by but had made no move to clear the area of demonstrators.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/11/world/canada-trucker-protest

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #276 on: February 12, 2022, 10:58:16 am »

Most of this podcast is not germane but the first question and answer are very good and on point about where we are wrt Covid and what to do now. Maybe 10 min long.

https://www.samharris.org/podcasts/qa/ask-anything-19
--
Robert

Peter McLennan

« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2022, 11:26:31 am »

Biden is napping and wondering why his Depends pads cost so much.

Please stand by while we research possible nasty names to call Alan in response to this juvenile comment.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2022, 11:37:42 am »

Most of this podcast is not germane but the first question and answer are very good and on point about where we are wrt Covid and what to do now. Maybe 10 min long.

https://www.samharris.org/podcasts/qa/ask-anything-19
I listened to first 12 minutes.  His concluding comments were to blame the right and Republicans for politicizing Covid.  Of course, that has been done.  But he failed to see the left and Demcorats were politicizing it as well and continue to do so.  The anti-science approach by many Democrat governors and mayors and approving no masks when the CDC still recommends them shows that Demcorats were playing a political game before.  I've complained about this for two years.   

He also expressed concern that society has been fragmented and doesn't believe in "authorities" any longer.  Well, what did he expect when the whole thing became politicized as much as many of our debates do today?  It's just not only COvid.  How about voting rules, climate, and taxes?  I'm not sure what he added to the conversation other than to show some prejudice to one side of the conversation.   

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2022, 11:41:46 am »

Please stand by while we research possible nasty names to call Alan in response to this juvenile comment.
The rules here are we're not supposed to personally attack other LuLa posters.  Making fun of Trump or Biden or other politicians to point out their foibles doesn't change that rule.  We're supposed to show some respect for each other.   I hope we all continue to do that.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up