Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another Image Dredged Up from the Archive  (Read 354 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Yet Another Image Dredged Up from the Archive
« on: January 09, 2022, 06:19:46 pm »

Blowing Bubbles in Shinjuku Chuo Park (2017)

And, no, I haven't the slightest clue what she was up to.  No other photographer in the vicinity, if you're thinking it was some kind of commercial shoot.

As lagniappe, a convolutional neural network "transformation" of the image, augmented with post-processing in Photoshop.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Yet Another Image Dredged Up from the Archive
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 11:16:26 pm »

I like the original a lot. The flowers complement the bubble blower nicely.
The "engraving" version is interesting, but needs the missing colors.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 06:21:21 am »

I like the original a lot. The flowers complement the bubble blower nicely.

I have the same feelings about the engraving version.  Other than that, the original is a beauty!
Francois

Chris Kern

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 09:40:22 am »

I'll take up that idea with the neural network.  These "transformations" (as I call them) are a collaboration between the photographer and the software.  I do my part and it does ... well, it does what it does.  Other post-processing software is more obedient, but a neural network has a mind of its own.

John R

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 03:26:58 pm »

I like both. I immediately thought why didn't he allow for color in the flowers. It would be circular pattern of colours surrounding the main subject. Not sure I know what Neural network is either. Is that Nik software?

JR

Chris Kern

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 05:10:44 pm »

Not sure I know what Neural network is either. Is that Nik software?

Well, machine learning doesn't fall within my area of software expertise (what little of it survives almost a dozen years after my retirement) and I suspect a purist would find fault with the technical accuracy of my explanation, so take this with a grain of salt.

A convolutional neural network is a type of application software that is designed to iteratively discover patterns in a large "training set" of inputs—in this case, images—which can be used to identify similar attributes in subsequent inputs.  After evaluating many examples of the same general type during a "machine-learning" phase, the neural network will be able to determine whether subsequent inputs are members of that type.  So if you feed a neural network a large number of pictures of monkeys, it will eventually "learn," or infer the existence of, certain attributes in those images that represent the essential visual elements of monkeyness.  Then when given a new image to evaluate, it will be able to distinguish between monkey and not-monkey.

The way I think of it is that I'm using the neural network backwards.  I feed it a photograph and the neural network finds attributes in the image that match patterns it has been trained to recognize—e.g., what a woodcut looks like—then modifies those attributes to make the image look more like the patterns it has been trained on.

I don't recall for certain which online tool I used for this particular image, but it might well have been Deep Dream Generator, an offshoot of a Google "artificial intelligence" research project.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 05:55:09 pm by Chris Kern »

John R

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 06:47:34 pm »

Thank you for that explanation, Chris. I think you must have quite a catalogue of images that you can put that kind of software to good use. Too bad you can't control the amount or kinds of effects. After all, sometimes less is more ;)

JR

Chris Kern

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 07:49:55 pm »

I think you must have quite a catalogue of images that you can put that kind of software to good use.

A few years ago, when I first was experimenting with this technique, I posted some examples (good and bad) here.

Too bad you can't control the amount or kinds of effects.

The different online recognizers offer varying types and amounts of control, but, no, basically you need to let the software do what it was trained to do.

On the other hand, the output is just another rendered digital image file (typically a JPEG), so you can always fiddle with it in Photoshop or another pixel-editing program if you want to invest the time.

This is just one niche aspect of an increasing number of computational photography techniques based on machine learning, which are showing up in products as diverse as Apple's iOS and Adobe's Lightroom, not to mention your favorite camera body's motion-following and eye-detection algorithms.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 08:19:37 pm »

I'm staying away from any software that wants to call me a monkey!  ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Kern

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 08:31:44 pm »

I'm staying away from any software that wants to call me a monkey!

I dunno.  Depends on the particular monkey.

Pages: [1]   Go Up