Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seriously. Is there any really good reason to shoot Canon HEIF?  (Read 1151 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography

I've played with the HEIF file setting periodically over the past few years (since buying my EOS R and on my R5). I have never really seen the use for it since only Canon's software seems to be able to read/see/use the files. Over the past few weeks, my wife I have been going from attic to basement cleaning out the house. There are a number of things she wants to sell rather than throw them in the rented dumpster. So, instead of shooting some quick JPEGs, I decided to, half-way through, to shoot some HEIF again. Yet again, Windows File manager can't render them, and neither can Adobe Bridge. Nor will PS open the files. Interestingly, a RAW viewer called FastRawViewer has no issues rendering the files. Photo Mechanic also has no problems recognizing and rendering the .HIF files either.

Has anyone found an actual workflow that can utilize these files? Since Adobe programs can't "see" these files (PS, LR and InDesign), what good are they? My clients certainly can't use them in lieu of JPEGs for rough layout purposes. (I always shoot RAW+JPEG and do RAW conversions to TIFF for them once they have made their edit/selections.) So, once again I ask, what good is this file type for everyday use? Does anyone shoot it on a regular basis?

Thanks.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Seriously. Is there any really good reason to shoot Canon HEIF?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 10:33:27 pm »

You need to get the Microsoft "HEIC Image Extensions" (free) and optionally the "HEVC Video Extension" ($0.99)
Minimun req: Windows 10 version 1809

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 03:30:31 pm »

Thanks. Yes, I know both extensions are needed/required. I have both. Both are installed. However, it never changed anything. If I go to the MS Store and HEIF Image Extensions (which is already on my system), if I click "Open", it launches the Movies & TV app. Same goes for HEVC.

Viewing the files in Canon DPP, I can of course see a difference in the files -- more dynamic range. It just doesn't seem to offer anything more, really, since the file needs to be usable without resorting to "converting" it, which is why I shoot JPEGs with my RAW.

I guess the answer to my question is really, "It ain't good for nothin' no how".

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 04:24:40 pm »

Oh, I see, it seems that the current implementation of HEIF in windows supports only 8 bit files, and the Canon are 10 bit.
So no support yet, other than Canon DPP.

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 02:33:12 pm »

Interesting that you found that information. I haven't seen anything in regards to the bit depth, though it would make sense since in DPP there is m dynamic range than a typical JPEG. I could see if my wife's iMac can read the HIF files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up