Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Previews Ram Usage?  (Read 755 times)

Michael West

Lightroom Previews Ram Usage?
« on: January 01, 2022, 09:56:05 pm »

what sort of load..ram wise are the lightroom previews?

i have two sets of previews from two presumably dead drives....in the catalog.

im wondering if their existance in the catalog could eat enough ram to make eliminating them worth the trouble.

the google search engine has not been of much use in determining how to handle this question

Thank you

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Lightroom Previews Ram Usage?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 10:10:13 pm »

So many variables and options and all previews outside Develop differ from previews in that module.
AFAIK, there is little if any RAM overhead but again, much depends on the preview, size and what kind.

There can be quite a few including Minimal, Embedded & Sidecar, Standard, 1:1, Smart Previews etc.

With Minimal the thumbnail embedded in the document (raw) and will likely not match those LR creates from the data. It's tiny in size. But super fast to appear. LR must recreate them and does, this is why you'll often see these change in appearance after awhile.

Embedded & Sidecar extracts a JPEG preview of the raw; larger and faster than 1:1 but still not rendered from LR itself.

Standard is built by LR so it should visually match (within reason) to what you see in Develop. They are used in all modules expect Develop. So you might wish to concentrate on them and their possible sizes.

Smart Previews are intended to be used as a proxy when the original documents are offline. Low(er) resolution Lossy DNGs; partially processed raw data. They are smaller in size than most originals (there's a size limitation by design). So if you use them offline but zoom to 1:1, it's not the same as actually viewing the 1:1 previews so there are reasons for that preview too. If you're not doing off line work, you might consider ignoring Smart Previews.
1:1 previews are not used in Develop but in Library for quick zooming.

Standard size previews are also used in Library but not Develop (very briefly then not; that's where the cache comes in). The size of Standard size previews varies based on preferences. It's a pyramid like preview structure of JPEGs in Adobe RGB (1998). But 1:1 are full sized JPEGs in the same color space. Then there are the newer Smart Previews which are partially processed raw data, always at a fixed size regardless of the original raw.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Michael West

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 11:18:53 pm »

So many variables and options and all previews outside Develop differ from previews in that module.
AFAIK, there is little if any RAM overhead but again, much depends on the preview, size and what kind.

There can be quite a few including Minimal, Embedded & Sidecar, Standard, 1:1, Smart Previews etc.

With Minimal the thumbnail embedded in the document (raw) and will likely not match those LR creates from the data. It's tiny in size. But super fast to appear. LR must recreate them and does, this is why you'll often see these change in appearance after awhile.

Embedded & Sidecar extracts a JPEG preview of the raw; larger and faster than 1:1 but still not rendered from LR itself.

Standard is built by LR so it should visually match (within reason) to what you see in Develop. They are used in all modules expect Develop. So you might wish to concentrate on them and their possible sizes.

Smart Previews are intended to be used as a proxy when the original documents are offline. Low(er) resolution Lossy DNGs; partially processed raw data. They are smaller in size than most originals (there's a size limitation by design). So if you use them offline but zoom to 1:1, it's not the same as actually viewing the 1:1 previews so there are reasons for that preview too. If you're not doing off line work, you might consider ignoring Smart Previews.
1:1 previews are not used in Develop but in Library for quick zooming.

Standard size previews are also used in Library but not Develop (very briefly then not; that's where the cache comes in). The size of Standard size previews varies based on preferences. It's a pyramid like preview structure of JPEGs in Adobe RGB (1998). But 1:1 are full sized JPEGs in the same color space. Then there are the newer Smart Previews which are partially processed raw data, always at a fixed size regardless of the original raw.

the previews left over from the missing files are quite low resolution..but im not certain how much ram they use in a catalog that i have let bloat to 33K images

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 04:48:39 am »

Not having previews is what uses RAM. See the various usages in Andrew's post - if there's no preview when LR needs it, it has to process the raw data.

Anyway, isn't your question more about "dead drives"? If any previews relate to photos that are on these, the previews are using a little disc space but are performing a safeguarding role by showing you images that you did once have and maybe should still have (they might allow you to rebuild those drives from backups). You can delete those drives if they are truly dead, but it's best to fix the problem and point any missing folders to their current disc locations.

Unless that 33k contains a load of crap that you should simply trash, 33k in a catalogue is not "bloat". LR can handle many, many more images.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 07:43:19 am by john beardsworth »

Michael West

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 02:23:43 pm »

Not having previews is what uses RAM. See the various usages in Andrew's post - if there's no preview when LR needs it, it has to process the raw data.

Anyway, isn't your question more about "dead drives"? If any previews relate to photos that are on these, the previews are using a little disc space but are performing a safeguarding role by showing you images that you did once have and maybe should still have (they might allow you to rebuild those drives from backups). You can delete those drives if they are truly dead, but it's best to fix the problem and point any missing folders to their current disc locations.

Unless that 33k contains a load of crap that you should simply trash, 33k in a catalogue is not "bloat". LR can handle many, many more images.

G
ot it. Im using an imac which would require  "expert" handling to  add additional ram as one needs to take the screen/monitor off its stand to do so.s

I took a roland keyboard synthesizer apart and put it back together a few years ago but I didn't count on it... like I do on this computer hence I know id best leave that job  to someone else...or buy yet another computer..

Thank you.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 08:57:46 am »

G
ot it. Im using an imac which would require  "expert" handling to  add additional ram as one needs to take the screen/monitor off its stand to do so.s

I took a roland keyboard synthesizer apart and put it back together a few years ago but I didn't count on it... like I do on this computer hence I know id best leave that job  to someone else...or buy yet another computer..

Thank you.

My iMac you just lay flat and open a flap in the bottom (best unplug any leads first).  The RAM just pulls out and the new slots in.  It's very easy.  You can probably find a YouTube video whcih will show you how.

Michael West

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 01:02:51 pm »

My iMac you just lay flat and open a flap in the bottom (best unplug any leads first).  The RAM just pulls out and the new slots in.  It's very easy.  You can probably find a YouTube video whcih will show you how.

this is i believe The One model; where access mist be gained by removing the monitor..

it may be time to replace this machine

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2473610/no-ram-upgrades-for-new-imacs--is-apple-crazy-.html

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 01:12:27 pm »

this is i believe The One model; where access mist be gained by removing the monitor..

it may be time to replace this machine

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2473610/no-ram-upgrades-for-new-imacs--is-apple-crazy-.html
I'm sorry to hear that.

But take a look at this Apple support page:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201191

Michael West

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 03:04:46 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that.

But take a look at this Apple support page:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201191

this is the method ....but Id rather not..

apple doesnt reccoment this be done by owners  aka amateurs.

Id rather pay somebody else to take the stress.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 04:01:46 pm »

this is the method ....but Id rather not..

apple doesnt reccoment this be done by owners  aka amateurs.

Id rather pay somebody else to take the stress.
Quite!
Pages: [1]   Go Up