Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on replacement PC for printing  (Read 391 times)

HartmanPrints

Advice on replacement PC for printing
« on: December 02, 2021, 06:32:37 pm »

Hey all,

I hope this is in the correct place!

I currently have a 13 year old PC that I use to print/scan/image process on my two Epson p7570's, Epson p5000, and Epson 11000XL scanner. I've done a fair amount of upgrades over the years (wireless card, ram, power supply, fan, hard drive) but I think it's time for a new one before this one dies.

Currently:
-HP p7
-AMD A6 APU
-14gb ram
-photoshop cs5 (I know)
-4tb HD x2
-windows 7 x64 (I know lol)

I'm asking for advice for a super awesome new machine. My current one has been perfectly quick and had no issues, but lately it's not doing well, spooling takes forever and a print that should take 3 minutes takes 15 (sometimes).

Any suggestions would be helpful. I can customize whatever I need, and cost is not an issue. Just no Macs please.

Cheers all!
-Justin

degrub

Re: Advice on replacement PC for printing
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 08:42:20 pm »

Make sure there are drivers for Win11/ win 10 and the correct interfaces for the printers and scanner.
You might be better off with a older machine that win7 drivers are available for even if you have to build it yourself with an older motherboard.

Have you checked or replaced the hard drives recently ? Both free space and drive errors. Maybe reseat memory ?
How are the temps on the MB and CPU ? Power supply voltages ?
A clean install of win7 may work wonders.

tonysiciliano1

• Tony Siciliano Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 12:26:33 pm »

Your request for info is too vague. It's kind of like asking "What is the best car for me to buy". I suggest you read about the various components in computers: the CPU, GPU, Ram, etc, and then you can decide the minimum specs you want and then search for the computer that meets your needs. Any computer that does a good job for editing photos in LR and/or Photoshop will be more than adequate for printing. Puget Systems has great info about hardware components. Here is their article about Photoshop (they have a similiar article about LR)

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recommendations

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 03:01:58 pm »

Honestly, grab a 3-4 year old computer SFF computer & put in new SSD's.  That should allow you to stick with Windows 7 & keep on going.  I'd even grab a second one as a spare machine.  HP Prodesk 600 G3 Mini or the like - make sure they list Win7 drivers (and keep a copy).
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up