Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 "INK CARTRIDGE ERROR" after head and selector unit replacment  (Read 10992 times)

hviali

When inserting all 11 ink cartridges on our EPSON 7900, I get "Ink Cartridge Error Replace Cartridge" message with X on all cartridges. If any cartridge is removed, leaving 10 cartridges inserted, the printer will recognize all 10 cartridges including ink levels and the removed cartridge will show X as missing cartridge. This result is the same removing any single one of the 11 cartridges and leaving any 10 inserted.

Additional info

We have used both EPSON original and aftermarket cartridges.

We replaced:
Sub Board Assembly
Ink System Unit
Main Board
Pressurizing Unit

Any idea or comment is welcomed and appreciated, we have run out of ideas. Thank you so much!

BrianWJH

When inserting all 11 ink cartridges on our EPSON 7900, I get "Ink Cartridge Error Replace Cartridge" message with X on all cartridges. If any cartridge is removed, leaving 10 cartridges inserted, the printer will recognize all 10 cartridges including ink levels and the removed cartridge will show X as missing cartridge. This result is the same removing any single one of the 11 cartridges and leaving any 10 inserted.

Additional info

We have used both EPSON original and aftermarket cartridges.

We replaced:
Sub Board Assembly
Ink System Unit
Main Board
Pressurizing Unit

Any idea or comment is welcomed and appreciated, we have run out of ideas. Thank you so much!

This is a very interesting and perplexing issue, you have replaced most parts except the print head, could you be so kind to reply to the following questions:
  • Did you remove the print head and re-install at any point?
  • When you replaced the mainboard did you also use the old mainboard firmware backup settings (file) to initialize the new mainboard?
  • Did you remove or replace either the CSIC left or right ink holder bays and or ink holder sub-board assemblies?

Brian.

hviali

Re: Epson 7900 "INK CARTRIDGE ERROR" after head and selector unit replacment
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 12:02:55 pm »

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your response, had taken a break from working on this printer but just got around to trying to fix it this past weekend.  We did replace ink head at one point for troubleshooting purposes with no luck,  it still responds the same.  I spoke to a EPSON support yesterday and they suggested calling a technician.   I mentioned to EPSON support the problem started right after updating the firmware.  Before scheduling with a tech, I replaced the main board with a board from an 7890, even though wrong printer model, it does recognize the cartridges, which leads me to believe the firmware update is causing the problem.  I am hoping there is some method to restore the original firmware but the printer will not go into READY mode so the PC can connect with service program.  Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated. 

BTW,  we have two 7900 showing the same problem, which we both updated firmware the same day.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 11:18:52 am by hviali »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2021, 09:51:20 am »

Thank you Cybis for the response.  I did tried both ways and  all ink cartridge had on X on it.  I do keep searching the web for other answers  have not found any yet.  I also went to the local Camera Shop and ask them about the ink problem, they said they use to be a repair center, and Epson drop them because  they want to charge the customer up front $275.00 dollars for the first hour and they will pick a choose the repair center.  I'm in San Antonio Texas and there is no repairs center in Texas. the only one they had recommended by Epson was in Dallas.  son I call them and said NO they don't want to mes with that  BRAND.  I wonder WHY?  Does this mean Epson want to pay the repair center warranty labor rate.  (Sound like the car Dealers ) Mechanics make less money on warranty work.   If you have any suggestion please let me know.  thanks
Yikes! Service is up to $275 an hour for a tech that maybe makes $45 an hour?? What ever happened to businesses charging three time the Labor rate of the tech? That would be $135 an hour, still high.
 I am guessing one hour for road time and one hour minimum labor which comes close to the $275. They gotcha. You either pay through the nose or go through the process of do it yourself like the op.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 09:55:42 am by dgberg »

deanwork

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2021, 12:22:45 pm »

I have a 9890 and a 7890. I use refillable carts from inkjet mall that have their own reprogrammable chips.

What happens with this printer series is - if two of the ink cart chips are bad or not being read correctly the whole side will show X’s.

If one is bad it just shows one bad.

If it were me I’d either replace the two inks that are problematic, IF you know which ones they are. You could use the smallest carts available, Or I’d buy one of the inexpensive reprogramable chips from inkjet mall and replace your questionable Epson chips with them. It sounds like either the chips are bad or they are not making proper contact. Try putting some paper spacers under the carts and pulling them toward the left to check that.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up