Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on what to do with my Pro-4000  (Read 867 times)

gdi

Advice on what to do with my Pro-4000
« on: November 23, 2021, 10:07:00 am »

I have a lightly used but 4 year old Canon Pro-4000 that had the maintenance cart fill up.  I replaced the cartridge and the printer immediately started throwing EC21-2F51 errors. I tried as suggested to shut it down and restart (a number of times) but it just repeated that error.  Canon suggested that I replace  the print head  and said I could wait till I got the printer to recognize there was no print head before opening and committing to the new $800 head and that there was little risk of that not fixing the problem.   

So I ordered one and had them walk me through the process of replacing it (unplug the printer, restart and unplug when I heard the head unlock).  That went well, until it was filling and the printhead and  again it said the maintenance cart was full and is now locked at that error.  I can access the printer remote UI from a browser and it is telling me that the maintenance cart is at 90%.  The tech didn’t know if that meant 90% available or 90% used, but I think it must be 90% available.   They said the only thing they can do now is a $1500+ service call, which I am reluctant to try given my experience with these endless chains of problems with printers. They would not consider providing any break on the costs even though they led me to believe that  replacing the  printhead would be the fix.

My questions are - would it make sense to risk another $80 maintenance cartridge to see if that fixes it, or should I just cut my losses and scrape this thing?  If so, can a brand new printhead be transferred to another printer - say, if I bought a Pro-1000 ?  Or have I just flushed this cash?  Same goes for the maintenance cart - can it be used in another Pro-4000?

Thanks, I appreciate any advice!

mearussi

Re: Advice on what to do with my Pro-4000
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 09:21:46 pm »

AFAIK. I can do that on my Canon ipf6400 and ipf8300.

raminolta

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 10:48:56 pm »

I have a lightly used but 4 year old Canon Pro-4000 that had the maintenance cart fill up.  I replaced the cartridge and the printer immediately started throwing EC21-2F51 errors. I tried as suggested to shut it down and restart (a number of times) but it just repeated that error.  Canon suggested that I replace  the print head  and said I could wait till I got the printer to recognize there was no print head before opening and committing to the new $800 head and that there was little risk of that not fixing the problem.   

So I ordered one and had them walk me through the process of replacing it (unplug the printer, restart and unplug when I heard the head unlock).  That went well, until it was filling and the printhead and  again it said the maintenance cart was full and is now locked at that error.  I can access the printer remote UI from a browser and it is telling me that the maintenance cart is at 90%.  The tech didn’t know if that meant 90% available or 90% used, but I think it must be 90% available.   They said the only thing they can do now is a $1500+ service call, which I am reluctant to try given my experience with these endless chains of problems with printers. They would not consider providing any break on the costs even though they led me to believe that  replacing the  printhead would be the fix.

My questions are - would it make sense to risk another $80 maintenance cartridge to see if that fixes it, or should I just cut my losses and scrape this thing?  If so, can a brand new printhead be transferred to another printer - say, if I bought a Pro-1000 ?  Or have I just flushed this cash?  Same goes for the maintenance cart - can it be used in another Pro-4000?

I would not so easily give up on that expensive printer. If their service call has guarantee, I would probably go for it.  But before that you could try a few things:

i) try print head alignment in the settings
ii) Enter the service mode and try a few options there such as  diagnosis, print head alignment, etc.
iii) since all this started with the maintenance cartridge, try replacing the cartridge chip. You can buy a chip online for $20 or so (Ebay, Aliexpress, etc.).
iv) try resetting the printer. I don't know how to reset the printer as the option is not given in the menu or device settings, not even in the service mode. There is a physical way to reset the printer which apparently is explained in the service manual. I haven't found it for free around (I have pro-2100). All I find are a number of third party sites which are demanding money for the pdf file of the service manual which is usually for pro-4000 or pro-4100s, etc. but not for my specific printer. I am not sure if Canon sells it itself.

Just a few ideas. Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 04:55:24 pm by raminolta »

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 04:56:05 am »

Since you have two used MC-30 maintenance tanks you can try the following and let the printer finalize the installation of the new printhead:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65077521

Abdo

• Abdo Abdala - Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 07:31:09 am »

Buy a maintenance tank chip or reset, don't spend money on a tank, I have never bought a tank in over 9 years..
Simply take it out of the machine, remove the cotton and wash it under the tap.
You can also reset the tank on the machine itself, in maintenance mode.
It's a real robbery what these companies do to consumers.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 05:25:15 pm by Abdo »

gdi

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 08:25:41 am »

Wow - thanks all - I will try to clean the maintenance cartridge and then reset it before wasting another $80.

Great advice and links- I greatly appreciate it!

gdi

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 08:27:31 am »

Buy the way, does anyone know what an empty maintenance cartridge weighs?  I could determine whether it is safe to just reset the cartridge in the service menu if it looks like it won’t overflow.

mearussi

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 08:57:28 am »

Buy the way, does anyone know what an empty maintenance cartridge weighs?  I could determine whether it is safe to just reset the cartridge in the service menu if it looks like it won’t overflow.
You can put another 50% in ink in it before it will overflow. If you reset it to 0% at 60% then pull it out after it registers another 80%. 

gdi

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 09:24:41 am »

You can put another 50% in ink in it before it will overflow. If you reset it to 0% at 60% then pull it out after it registers another 80%.

Well that is quite a bit of reserve!  I think I’ll give it a shot

raminolta

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 10:30:50 am »

Buy a maintenance tank chip or reset, don't spend money on a tank, I have never bought a tank in over 9 years..
Simply take it out of the machine, remove the cotton and wash it under the tap.
You can also reset the tank on the machine itself, in maintenance mode.
It's a real robbery what these companies do to consumers.
If you have difficulty entering maintenance mode, send me a Whats App... which sent you instructions: +55 11 9 9144 5366

Are maintenance mode and service mode the same thing or different? (just confused on the terminology) Thanks.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 02:04:49 pm »

Empty is 570g. Filled is ~980g.

mearussi

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 03:41:13 pm »

Are maintenance mode and service mode the same thing or different? (just confused on the terminology) Thanks.

Same thing.

Abdo

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 05:04:30 pm »

They are different modes!!! Maintenance mode is used by technicians to make repairs.
There are hundreds of options to configure, one of them is possible to reset the tank
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 05:10:23 pm by Abdo »

Abdo

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2021, 05:11:01 pm »

continue

gdi

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 07:55:52 pm »

Empty is 570g. Filled is ~980g.

Thanks ! Well my "new" cartridge was 1036 grams - so I just plugged a new one in.  And low and behold it finished filling the print head and I did an alignment and made a test print!

I still can’t get the firmware to update though, but I can worry about that tomorrow!
Pages: [1]   Go Up