Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Digital Image Processing

SCSI to USB for Nikon Coolscan III

(1/3) > >>

SebastianOakley:
This is a long shot,

I recently saw a deal I could not pass up with a Nikon CoolScan III AKA Ls-30 - working with all the original cables etc.

However, I have run into a problem, whilst this was a very cheap deal, I can't find a SCSI to USB adapter anywhere.

This is a message to see if anyone on here might have one, preferably based in the UK or US that might let me take one of their hands (willing to pay)

if you might have one or know where one could be bought pleasure let me know!

Cheers,

Seb

Paul_Roark:
The adapter(s) I bought failed to connect my Nikon to my USB port.  I will be very interested if you find something that works.  The driver software used may be part of the problem.  The good news is that my 100mm Canon L macro, adapted to my Sony a7r, can copy a medium format negative and make a file that is as good as the Nikon Coolscan 8000 I have used to be able to make.  (But it's more work.)

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Slobodan Blagojevic:

--- Quote from: Paul_Roark on November 03, 2021, 11:04:24 am ---...The good news is that my 100mm Canon L macro, adapted to my Sony a7r, can copy a medium format negative...

--- End quote ---

Paul, that is interesting... what sort of contraption do you use to connect a medium format negative (or slide) to the lens? And what kind of illumination?

langier:
The software that seems to make all the older scanners work is VueScan which is quite cheap, IMO, and works well. I use it with my turn of the century Epson scanners and it does a good job. Updates are free and come every few weeks to few months.

However, it's the interconnection from SCSI to USB that is probably the roadblock that you may not be able to solve. It may be easier and less hassle to find an older computer that still has a SCSI port from the 1990s than to try to hack some cabling though someone probably has done this. There may even be some kind of bridge-box from years ago that had the electronics that transposed the wiring/signals from the legacy hardware to more modern but that could be me just dreaming.

For ease of use and speed, I use a good-quality macro lens on my m43 or Nikon digital bodies and my 5000°K light table to shoot my old color transparencies and b&w negatives. Much faster than using my Coolscan via Firewire. Probably not as good as scanning the film, but more than adequate when practicing good craft! Because of the diffuse light source, the scratches/dust seem to be minimized though the auto dust/scratches on the Coolscan is hard to beat scanning everything but Kodachrome.

Steve_777:
A quick search showed various sources on ebay and other sites.  Here is a link that may be of interest.  I do not have any experience using any of these adapters however.

https://www.bestcablesplitter.com/50-pin-scsi-to-usb-adapter/

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version