Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace Mac Pro  (Read 2265 times)

bill@plunkettphoto.com

Replace Mac Pro
« on: October 25, 2021, 05:32:37 pm »

It's finally time to replace my 8 year old Mac Pro.   I had thought that an iMac Pro would probably be the best bet but....

I need to edit pretty large DNG and TIFF files and I use a dual screen setup.  I'm not sure what the details are but read that some of the apple displays can't be calibrated with regular equipment but require very expensive equipment. 

Would you say a new iMac appropriately configured is all I need.  If so, what would you recommend as a minimum configuration and what type of 2nd display would you recommend.

Or should I spend the $$$ and get a Mac Pro and 2 new displays?

All recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Bill Plunkett

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Replace Mac Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 05:55:54 pm »

You can calibrate and profile an iMac but the displays are nothing special, and a “smart display” (color reference display) like those from Eizo or NEC (Spectraviews) provide far more in terms of the this process. As such, the new MacBook Pros or Mini might be something to consider.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 05:27:24 pm »

It's finally time to replace my 8 year old Mac Pro.   I had thought that an iMac Pro would probably be the best bet but....

I need to edit pretty large DNG and TIFF files and I use a dual screen setup.  I'm not sure what the details are but read that some of the apple displays can't be calibrated with regular equipment but require very expensive equipment. 

Would you say a new iMac appropriately configured is all I need.  If so, what would you recommend as a minimum configuration and what type of 2nd display would you recommend.

Or should I spend the $$$ and get a Mac Pro and 2 new displays?

All recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Leaving out the Mac Pro, two solutions come to mind.

One, the newly released 16" MacBook Pro with M1 Max chip, 64GB RAM, and at least 4TB SSD, hooked to an external monitor. This is a 2-in-1 package as it serves as a travel machine as well.

Another candidate is the anticipated higher end iMac with Apple Silicon next year. I love the 27" screen on the iMac Pro I currently have (which can be calibrated by the i1 Display Pro made by XRite).

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 02:19:36 pm »

A review of the 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max connected to an external monitor -

https://austinmann.com/trek/macbook-pro-m1-max-for-photographers

maxs

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 02:03:32 pm »

Leaving out the Mac Pro, two solutions come to mind.

One, the newly released 16" MacBook Pro with M1 Max chip, 64GB RAM, and at least 4TB SSD, hooked to an external monitor. This is a 2-in-1 package as it serves as a travel machine as well.

Another candidate is the anticipated higher end iMac with Apple Silicon next year. I love the 27" screen on the iMac Pro I currently have (which can be calibrated by the i1 Display Pro made by XRite).

For $6099 isn't this configuration a bit of an overkill for the needs of basic photo editing using LR or PS?

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 08:26:46 am »

For $6099 isn't this configuration a bit of an overkill for the needs of basic photo editing using LR or PS?

I think you must be looking at one with an 8TB SSD. I just ordered one with exactly this spec, and it was $4,899. Still, you make a good point. Some articles I’ve read show the configuration with 32GB RAM performing most tasks equally quick as a 64GB model. It seems the memory management in the Apple silicon Macs is a whole different animal from what we’re used to. There are advantages with things like 8K video files, but it’s worth doing some research if you want to save that $400.

As for SSD size, that depends entirely on how you manage your workflow and where you keep your files. It’s blazingly fast, so I bought 4 TB, planning to keep the video project I’m currently working on on the internal drive and everything else on the RAIDs.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 05:39:27 pm »

No inside information, but assuming Apple's suppliers can ship the parts in time for the new products to be assembled, I would be surprised if we don't see (1) one or more new Mac Mini models and (2) one or more new Mac Pro models, all exploiting the company's new hardware architecture, by early spring.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 08:08:18 pm »

No inside information, but assuming Apple's suppliers can ship the parts in time for the new products to be assembled, I would be surprised if we don't see (1) one or more new Mac Mini models and (2) one or more new Mac Pro models, all exploiting the company's new hardware architecture, by early spring.

Well, it's neither a new Mac Mini or a new Mac Pro, but the "Mac Studio" desktop computer that has just been introduced would appear to be a very attractive replacement for the 2013 Mac Pro for both still and video post-processing, and even for the 2019 Mac Pro tower.

Almost as an aside, an Apple vice president said during today's product introduction "event" that a Mac Pro based on the new architecture will be introduced "another day" (presumably in May or June).

At the high end, the new Mac Studio machine should satisfy even the Hollywood special effects artists and neural network developers.  As far as I can tell, a fully-loaded Mac Studio should compete reasonably well for most purposes with a $25K scientific workstation.  (In case you weren't aware that you could spend $25K on a PC workstation, that's nothing.  Check out https://zworkstations.com/configurations/2944696/).

I suspect the product plan for the new Mac Pro means Apple either has yet another, more powerful, "system on a chip" in the works or the company management wants to offer an upgradeable tower that can accommodate future improvements in graphics technology.

geneo

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 10:48:26 pm »

Well, it's neither a new Mac Mini or a new Mac Pro, but the "Mac Studio" desktop computer that has just been introduced would appear to be a very attractive replacement for the 2013 Mac Pro for both still and video post-processing, and even for the 2019 Mac Pro tower.

Almost as an aside, an Apple vice president said during today's product introduction "event" that a Mac Pro based on the new architecture will be introduced "another day" (presumably in May or June).

At the high end, the new Mac Studio machine should satisfy even the Hollywood special effects artists and neural network developers.  As far as I can tell, a fully-loaded Mac Studio should compete reasonably well for most purposes with a $25K scientific workstation.  (In case you weren't aware that you could spend $25K on a PC workstation, that's nothing.  Check out https://zworkstations.com/configurations/2944696/).

I suspect the product plan for the new Mac Pro means Apple either has yet another, more powerful, "system on a chip" in the works or the company management wants to offer an upgradeable tower that can accommodate future improvements in graphics technology.

Hey, I maxed out the configuration on that HP PC and got $75k! Not that I would play a plug nickel for an HP Pc.
Walk softly and carry a big lens

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 10:59:42 pm »

Now that I've had some time with my MBP 14 M1 Pro, I could see replacing my aging and maxed out 2009 MP with even the Mac Studio Max with some extra ram and a larger SSD and be happy for many years.

Looks like a good and useable upgrade to my workflow without breaking the bank too badly.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 03:07:25 am »

I have a M1 desktop with 16GB memory and 1TB internal SSD. I also have Sandisk 1000 external SSDs. Handling a 90MB panorama, processed in PtGui and then LR and PS is no trouble. The 16bit TIFF is 1GB. With the Mac SOC I  do not think as much memory is needed as without SOC.

You could look at the new Studio system just announced.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 04:44:47 am »

Should have written 90 megapixel panorama in my post above!

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 04:58:55 am »

The new studio is the way to go... it is a MacPro in pocket size and reduces energycosts at the same time...
Also it is more futureproof than the intel stuff on mac.

the screen however... i don't know...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 06:26:21 am »

There's no reason you have to use the new screen is there?  In fact if you're replacing a Mac Pro it already has some kind of screen.  I'm so used to 31/32" screens I'd not want to go to 27" in any case.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 02:42:34 pm »

My new Studio will use an Asus 32" IPS 4K monitor.  Under $600 CDN.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B096PNMSQZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2022, 07:57:50 am »

My new Studio will use an Asus 32" IPS 4K monitor.  Under $600 CDN.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B096PNMSQZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does it cover adobe RGB? i see it covers sRGB but about any monitor will do that.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Peter McLennan

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2022, 10:56:10 am »

Does it cover adobe RGB? i see it covers sRGB but about any monitor will do that.

I don’t know. Since this is just a hobby now, I don’t need to care. I love this monitor.  My images look great and print as expected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up