Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Outing with GFX 100S  (Read 1246 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

First Outing with GFX 100S
« on: October 20, 2021, 07:23:50 pm »

The below explanation and image were posted on our Facebook page (my wife and I share it), so please excuse the elementary statements. It was the first outing with my GFX 100S. The image was taken with the 32-64mm lens at 32mm, f16, 1/210 sec, ISO 200, handheld (thanks to IBIS). I really like the camera. I had an opportunity to use it with the 32-64mm lens (with and without polarizer), 23mm lens, 100-200 lens (I used a monopod with this lens), and the excellent and diminutive 50mm lens. One item I need to change: the front control dial changes ISO. At first I thought how convenient, but over the course of several hours I accidently changed ISO about 5 or 6 times.

Here is the Facebook post:

Today on LBI it was very windy and cool. But the sky was really something else! Because of the stiff wind, it kept changing....from dark blue to dark foreboding grey, to light blue,  etc. I took my new camera out and made 152 exposures. It is medium format and heavier than my 35mm rig. I came to grips with several facts: (1) I am 84. (2) Walking in soft sand in the wind is no easy task. (3) Ditto walking up steep dunes. (4) I got down on one knee to make a close up of a sand pattern at grade level, and getting back up is tricky. I sometimes use a monopod for my cameras, today I did not until the end of the day. I learned   that a monopod also serves as a walking stick in soft sand.
Here is one of  the images. Since I shoot in "RAW" format, each image must be "developed", i.e. processed with software to make it useable, so it will take a while for me to share some with you.

Dave Gurtcheff

Re: First Outing with GFX 100S
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 05:53:55 pm »

here are more taken the same day. Lenses used were 23mm, 32-64mm and 100-200mm.
Dave in NJ

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 05:55:13 pm »

One more.
Dave

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 06:35:34 pm »

It looks very promising. This is a nice set of images.

My favorite is the first one.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

chez

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 07:39:37 pm »

It appears like the images were quite heavily processed. I see an awful lot of blue in those clouds. How did you go about processing these?

Gurtch

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 08:38:27 pm »

It appears like the images were quite heavily processed. I see an awful lot of blue in those clouds. How did you go about processing these?
Raw images developed in Dxo Photolab, then Luminar AI enhanced. I like saturated images. Everyone's taste is different, for sure.
Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 07:35:07 am »

It appears like the images were quite heavily processed...

+1

On the other hand, I wish I will be doing in 20 years what you've been doing (i.e., photographing en plein air)

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 02:01:18 pm »

Thank you Slobodan, I am hanging in there at 84. I know I like saturated images, going back to my dark room days. I had to really work to salvage the attached image. A raw conversion to jpg shows a rather blown out sky and blocked up shadows. However I know I could have processed to lower the color saturation and contrast.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up