Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone have experience printing to a SureLab D870 or D1070 on Matte?  (Read 564 times)

PatCastaldo

I'm looking at the SureLab D870 or D1070 and seeing that it supports matte paper, but not finding any Epson-branded matte paper for it here in the US.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with printing to matte with these? I'm curious how the image quality would compare to something like P800 or P900 on 8x10s. I got some samples from Epson, but they were on luster and gloss — they look good, but since I wasn't able to print my own sample images, I wasn't sure how they'd really perform.

I Read this topic, where it was mentioned, but hadn't seen anyone else here talk about it.
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=137346.0

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
Re: Anyone have experience printing to a SureLab D870 or D1070 on Matte?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 03:27:38 pm »

I print less than 1% on matt stock with our SLD800. Results aren't bad, using my own profile with Permajet matt 230, but results aren't anywhere near as good as I can get on our Canon 8400. But when clients want inexpensive little matt prints, they seem happy enouigh.

The gloss and lustre papers, with home rolled profiles are really pretty good, though dark monochrome images are a challenge (ie with the Roman 16 low key monochome, I don't get the same neutrality that I do from the Canon). But still fine by drylab standards. If I get some down time, I'll run some new profiles, using the optimiser option in profiler, but ultimately, it's a six channel printer, with only one black, so I'm not expecting miracles. Epson, and Tetanal (who I bought the printer from) profiles were decidedly green in the monochrome images; Profiler profiles greatly improved things.

I run all my printing through the Epson print controller software, but bought Qimage for the profile charts. I'll have another look at the output with Qimage, if I get some down time next week.

B&H lists the Permajet matt 230 paper - the 800 (and I assume the 870) only take 65m  (298') rolls - which is similar in appearance to Fuji matt bond, or Epson double weight matt paper, just a little thicker.

These little big printers are great fun - what are you looking to use it for?

PatCastaldo

Re: Anyone have experience printing to a SureLab D870 or D1070 on Matte?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 05:28:05 pm »

I'd mostly be using it for full-bleed 8x10 matte prints of art reproductions (paintings, illustrations). That's what I use the P800s and P900s for.

I talked with red river (who I use their matte now) and it sounds like they could make rolls too (they don't know, but would if I ordered enough. I'm just curious how well it'd compare to the P800s and P900s since it's a different ink formulation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up