Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolleiflex 6008  (Read 1602 times)

SebastianOakley

Rolleiflex 6008
« on: August 23, 2021, 11:53:05 am »

Hi all,

After selling my Pextax 645 and focusing on my Nikon F5 for 35mm, I now find myself wanting to try out 6x6 as I think it would be a nice format for me. After looking at many options I would like to buy a Rolleiflex 6008.

Can anyone advice one what to look out for when buying one of these today, and advice while using one or any quirks it has. Basically, looking fo any advice with these cameras.

Look forward to the comments.

Cheers, Seb

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
Re: Rolleiflex 6008
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 02:20:11 pm »

Hi Seb,

I have two  Rolleiflexes: a 6003 prof and a 6008 integral 2.
You can get a lot of information at https://rolleiflex6000.org/index.php

I went for the models that have the latest generation electronics, as this appears to be the main fail point. The 6008 has a removable film back, but that comes at the cost of slightly increased size, a more cumbersome process to change films and additional things that can break. Both cameras are extremely straightforward to use though, and changing film is straightforward and non-fiddly. I have used MF cameras from Mamiya 645 to the Pentax 67 and Fuji 680, and find the Rolleis the most fun to use.

The main issue is the batteries. Make sure you get one that includes the battery. If the batteries are the original ones, most likely you will have to get them re-celled. Key Camera in Colorado does that. Some person on ebay is also offering a re-celling service but I have heard bad things about their work.

Eric Hiss at https://rolleiflex.us/ has great selection of Rolleiflex equipment, and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He also offers battery re-celling.

I hope this helps!
Martin
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

SebastianOakley

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 09:54:51 am »

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the information and advice.

Which would you recommend, the 6003 or the 6008. Both seem to be around the same price on eBay etc.

I do really like the look of these cameras and the way they are "intelligent" but still manual focus. I have heard they produce lovely images and after have done some research I think the 6x6 format would suit my style.

I have heard Rolleiflex extremely quality cameras, so any info on build quality and what to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 12:31:57 pm »

The main competitor for the Rolleiflex is probably a Hasselblad. The advantage of the Hasselblads is they are entirely mechanical, and thus repairable. The Rolleis are electronic, and some earlier models are said (on the internet, for what it's worth) to develop electronic failures. The downside of the Hasselblads is that they are either much more expensive, or very old. Getting them repaired is expensive.

I would make sure to get a Rollei that has the latest generation of their electronics: 6008 integral, 6008E or 6003 professional. They were all built from the mid-90s to early 2000s. The latest model is the 6008 integral 2, which was built until 2015 or so. The difference between the 6003 professional and 6008 i2 both of which I own is small. The display is updated, and somewhat nicer in the 6008 i2. The 6003 does not have an exchangeable film back. The advantage of this is that the camera is slightly smaller. Changing the film on the 6008 i2 requires you to close the built-in dark slide. This is an additional part the 6003 does not have, and thus a potential point of failure. Film backs are hard to find and expensive. In terms of use, I am pretty indifferent between the 6003 prof and 6008 i2. I prefer the film changing mechanism of the 6003, and the display of the 6008 i2. You can attach a grip to both of them for easier handling, but to be honest, I prefer shooting without the grip.

The lenses are pretty much comparable to he latest Hasselblad lenses, sharp and contrasty. If you prefer a more vintage look, there are probably better camera systems out there.

Whichever version you get, make sure it comes with a battery.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

SebastianOakley

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 09:17:37 am »

MARTIN thank you for your advice, it is extremely helpful!!!

morbuch

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 09:29:04 pm »

I second Eric Hiss at Rolleiflex USA as you are not likely to ever encounter anyone with the knowledge base or the patience to convey what he knows. Have eschewed flEaBay altogether for their general unreliability and tax charged on overseas purchases. Eric presently has as a 6008 Integral 1 for sale. Prices have risen on these cameras, about twice what I paid earlier in the year but he's the factory authorized dealer and that means a lot.

TechTalk

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 11:09:01 pm »

At the risk of making him blush, let me chime in with agreement regarding Eric Hiss at Rolleiflex USA. His knowledge and integrity are both exemplary.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 01:56:42 am by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

morbuch

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 12:06:24 pm »

The lenses are pretty much comparable to the latest Hasselblad lenses, sharp and contrasty. If you prefer a more vintage look, there are probably better camera systems out there.

The 6008 system has the distinct advantages of an entire line of Schneider lenses, something unavailable for the Hasselblad, with the exception of a single, behemoth Schneider zoom for the V system. Schneider optics are typically faster than the Zeiss or Rollei options and considered superior optics. The exception to the rule is the superb Zeiss 2/110, which I presume is identical to the Hasselblad FE version of the same lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up