Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting sync two lights; when both grids or snoots  (Read 615 times)

kevs

Getting sync two lights; when both grids or snoots
« on: August 09, 2021, 02:40:39 pm »

Anyone else notice can be hard to get two light heads to sync when both are grids?  ANy tips on this? thanks!
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Petrus

Re: Getting sync two lights; when both grids or snoots
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 11:12:31 am »

You mean the light from the synced head does not reach the photo cell in the other? What I used in a studio situation was simply an on-camera flash aimed up, which triggered both/all units at the same time. In outside situations this of course does not work very well.

kevs

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 01:02:50 pm »

Of course other lighting situations no sync issue, on camera, umbrellas.--- post is if two narrow beams...
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Harold Clark

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 02:25:43 pm »

I assume you are syncing the strobes optically?

In the 1990s when shooting large industrial projects on 4x5 with 4800 WS pack and head systems, I attached an extension cord between the sync terminal on the power pack and the photo cell. That way the cell could be placed in the light beam of the main strobe and be sure to fire, especially since ambient light levels were sometimes high in those situations.

I also used a super sensitive photo cell sometimes, but even the strobe of a distant fork lift would trigger it so it often wasn't practical.

I eventually switched to pocket wizards. The extension cords were two prong AC types, I don't know whether they were ever made with mono connectors which you are likely using.

Conner999

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 07:58:39 am »

Aside from radios, eternal optical triggers, sync cords, etc., you could use a small cheap speedlight on near the camera that won't add any light to scene, to trigger both lights.

You can tape a piece of IR gel over that small speedlight to block all visible light, but still trigger the larger strobes.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 07:21:33 pm »

The tip is to get a radio trigger and two receivers, like the Elinchrom Skyports Transmitters and Universal receivers.
Then you can fire both or individually and they won't go off when the guy next to you fires his.
Optical firing is desperation mode.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up