Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji gfx remote release cable  (Read 534 times)

niclas_lindergard

Fuji gfx remote release cable
« on: August 07, 2021, 06:09:49 am »

Hi! Big help needed! I’m on week 1 of a 3 week important photo trip in Crete and Milos greece, right now i’m 2hours from Heraklion, the biggest little city on crete.
I do this art projekt were we take self portraits of our family in different settings.
The huge problem now is that i have lost the little cable between my fuji gfx 50s and my pocketwizard i use to remotely trigger the camera. So i now need to find a really hard to find cable fast on this island. The cable i lost had What looked like a 2,5 mm male in the camera end and 3,5 mm make in the trigger end. So now to the question: am I right with the 2,5 mm part or did it just look like that? Is just a standard 2,5 mm male or something more special? If I’m right about the 2,5mm part i could start looking At audio stores and so. I read some where that Canon uses the same plug? That could greatly increase the chance of finding something. In my mind a 2,5 mm male to 3,5 mm female plug and then a ordinary 3,5mm male to male cable seems like something that maybe maybe i could find. Would that work?
Any help on what cable i should look for and any help on where on crete i should start looking would be greatly appriciated. Maybe some one knows some one?
Warm regards Niclas

nokk

Re: Fuji gfx remote release cable
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 07:44:19 pm »

not sure where to find the cable.  but i think you can use the fuji camera remote app to trigger the camera from your phone if you can't find a replacement cable.

niclas_lindergard

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 01:08:28 am »

Thanks, Yeah the app will probably work, I’ve tried it before. It’s just that it’s really horrible to use and i end up connecting and reconnecting the wifi in panic when the light is good. If you ever try to review the shot you just took, you need to then run over to the camera and do the whole connection bit again. I have found a Photo store that opens on monday, if they don’t have the cable they can maybe help me to a audio store that does. After reading a bit more it seems like what i need is 2,5mm stereo male to 3,5 mm stereo male, but I’m still not shure if I’m right or not.

Conner999

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 08:44:38 am »

You need a two-conductor (aka mono or just one black band on the plug) 2.5mm (sub-mini) on the Fuji end and 3.5mm (mini) on the PW end. Ideally an angled connector on the camera side to clear any L-bracket.

It can come from a camera store or any stereo/electronics store.  If you can't find the exact cable:

1.Mix and match adapters. For example, you can often find a 2.5mm connector with a pc socket at the end then just find a PC-socket to 3.5mm adapter.

2. Get one of each size, regardless of connector on opposing end and either find an electronics repair store and ask for a 5min solder job, or use a knife and strip the 'bad' end of each and wire together and protect with tape.  You're making a simple 'switch' connection, so there is no polarity per se.

If the two far ends are 2.5mm mono and 3.5mm mono, what's in between, regardless of how ugly, makeshift or how many daisy-chained adapters are involved, is irrelevant as long as it makes an electrical connections between the two ends.

3. Find the 2.5mm  plug cable and have a shop cut off the 'bad end', open the PW receiver and solder the wires to the PW socket connections and drill a small hole for the wire to extend out of.

Once you find the 2.5mm mono end, the rest is just creativity. Good luck

niclas_lindergard

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 05:31:01 am »

Thanks Conner999! that´s exactly the kind of info i needed!
I almost went your way looking for a electronics store (it´s hard, greek and so on) but the issue solved itself easier.
So I found a photo store in Heraklion city drove there just to find out they didn't have the cable.
The staff was really helpful but the one handling orders was on vaccation so they gave me directions to electronics stores around town and also how i would go about ordering from a kind of greek amazon to a hotel on another island were staying at next week in case that wouldn´t work.
I bought some batteries and while waiting for the payment to go through i saw this shelf with a bunch of godox flashtriggers and I found one that said canon on it, so i opened the package and there it was! glowing like sent from heaven there it was!
So i bought the trigger just for the cable, it was something like 50 euros but i would gladly have paid so much more than that.
Thanks again for the help! If you ever are in need for gear in Crete https://foto-professional.gr/ is the place to go.
Now off to try to get some work done in this 95 degree heat wave =)
best
Niclas

Conner999

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 02:23:06 pm »

Awesome. Enjoy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up