Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9570 Review on LL  (Read 2386 times)

John Hollenberg

Epson 9570 Review on LL
« on: July 20, 2023, 06:46:17 pm »

I read the mostly glowing review of Epson 9570.  If you want the real story, go to the EpsonWideFormat forum on group.io.  That is not the experience of dozens of very experienced printers.  The problems with this printer are well known and well documented and Epson has not come up with any solutions yet.  Buyer beware.

John Hollenberg

Re: Epson 9570 Review on LL
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 06:50:25 pm »

I should add that a group of printers on that forum have sent a letter to Epson signed by multiple people who have persistent problems over a number of years.  Epson has acknowledged the problems, but no solution has been forthcoming as of yet.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 12:11:50 am »

I'm not a potential purchaser of this printer but am rather amazed that the reviewer, a respected reviewer... I think, either chose not to mention the problems or somehow never looked at the extensive literature concerning both this and the 7570 (which at one point interested me). These machines have been purchased by professional print shops, people with extensive experience with wide format printers. Their stories of issues with it are rather impressive.

To put it politely, the headline is a bit misleading....

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 06:14:21 am »

I should add that a group of printers on that forum have sent a letter to Epson signed by multiple people who have persistent problems over a number of years.  Epson has acknowledged the problems, but no solution has been forthcoming as of yet.
Dani S. from Epson has acknowledged a problem. Absolutely nothing from Epson Japan at this point.
Not sure that is an acknowledgement from Epson HQ.

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 09:29:55 am »

Dani S. from Epson has acknowledged a problem. Absolutely nothing from Epson Japan at this point.

No so.  Dan has been tasked by Epson to gather information from some of the signatories of the group letter sent to Epson, and to coordinate testing to find solutions, if possible.   I am one of the signatories, and have been in communication with Dan via Zoom and email. He has collected detailed information from me on my use of the 7570 and the issues the printer has.  In the most recent email update from Dan, tests are being run (based on collected information) in Los Angeles and in Japan as I write this.  While it is too early to see what comes of this effort, a real effort is being made, in my opinion, and Dan is doing a good job of both soliciting / acknowledging the issues, and in being in weekly communication with a group of us owners / users.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 08:30:08 am »

Rand, I am absolutely 100% in your corner and really do hope something is finally in the works.
Dano has been around forever and is a really sharp Epson rep but not sure I have any faith in Epson Japan.
The biggest question is why did it take well over a year?
This printer has some really deep technical flaws, so why did Epson assign a public relations guy to vet this out? Although we know that is what all big companies would do.
My fingers crossed for everyone hoping this works itself out.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 10:33:49 am by dgberg »

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 01:18:15 pm »

Thanks to others in this thread who have read the article.  I copied it into Word and did a word count, 17,578!  As Dan wrote at the start, he has done much printing, but this number of words is way in excess of what I am prepared to read.  I do not wish to overly criticise the amount of time he must have spent doing the initial work and then writing the review, but do think it would reach more of its target audience if it was considerably shorter.  I know I can skip to the conclusions, but I would like to know just a wee bit more about why he came to them without having to wade through that number of words, words that with the pictures occupied over 60 pages in the Word document.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 01:27:31 pm »

Further to my rant above, I had just assumed I could skip to the conclusions and get a concise summing up. I have now done that and copied that section into Word. The word count gave 2249 words and, with pictures, 8 pages of A4 (a bit bigger than US Letter size).  Wow, that is 10 to 15 minutes reading, not that I actually did it!

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 02:50:15 am »

Actually, Epson Japan headquarter knew the issues of P9500 series printers, at least 2 years ago. One of my clients owns this printer, and he got almost every problems on his P9500. I had to explore with him the reasons for the problem. When we finally eliminated the paper causes, we moved on to working with local Epson. They can solve nothing. That's why the mechanics contact Japan for help. Local mechanics replaced some parts of the printer and some adjustment in service program followed the advice of Epson Japan. So, I will say Japanese have known about this for a long time.
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr

deanwork

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 01:19:49 pm »

Bad review. Sounds like an Epson ad to me.

Actually, Epson Japan headquarter knew the issues of P9500 series printers, at least 2 years ago. One of my clients owns this printer, and he got almost every problems on his P9500. I had to explore with him the reasons for the problem. When we finally eliminated the paper causes, we moved on to working with local Epson. They can solve nothing. That's why the mechanics contact Japan for help. Local mechanics replaced some parts of the printer and some adjustment in service program followed the advice of Epson Japan. So, I will say Japanese have known about this for a long time.

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 09:52:33 pm »

Bad review. Sounds like an Epson ad to me.

Did I miss something?  I didn't post a review of it. I was just saying Epson Japan knew the issues of P9500 series printers (and they cannot fix the printers). But you quoted my words. I hope this is just a small oversight.  ;)
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr

Dan Boersma

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 03:27:23 pm »

Kang, I am pretty confident that the "bad review" comment was meant for the very long review article on LL by Dan Wells that eas posted recently. Cheers.

MN

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 06:03:22 pm »

Kang, I am pretty confident that the "bad review" comment was meant for the very long review article on LL by Dan Wells that eas posted recently. Cheers.

Also my impression.

Just the title of the "review" makes me suspicious.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 08:58:27 pm by MN »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2023, 10:04:00 pm »

Thank you for those who created and contributed to this thread.

I read the article and it made me consider re-investing in a large format Epson printer many years after I got rid of my PX-10000 (I am even not sure I remember the actual model name right).

With this thread I have put this plan on hold.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 10:30:07 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Ignotus_Mago

• Art by Paul Hertz
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 05:27:01 pm »

The discussion of the 9570 on LL has been very useful for me. I ended up getting a new head for my 9900 and have been quite happy with the results -- and the 9900 has its quirks.

The positive reviews I have read on LL and elsewhere, when they weren't obvious shilling for Epson and its sales reps, have convinced me that some people do get the 9570 to work for their particular production process. For the papers I use, generally heavy matte art papers, I was reasonably convinced there was no good way forward with the 9570. I hope eventually to hear that Epson has solved the issues and that the next generation printers are worth purchasing.

// Paul

ssgphoto

• Brooklyn Editions
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2023, 04:53:56 pm »

As a loyal subscriber for years, I am disappointed in the lack of depth and only casually reporting on the well known issues troubling this highly capable printer that has been handicapped by Epson's indifference not mention the terrible EMI.
Pages: [1]   Go Up