Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus 75 tethered, db power switch don't work  (Read 616 times)

thomkaran

Leaf Aptus 75 tethered, db power switch don't work
« on: September 06, 2021, 04:33:45 pm »

Hello All,

I own a Leaf Aptus 75 using it with Maiya RZ67 proII. For more critical inspection of my focusing I found a Macbook pro 2009 for tethering the back. Leaf Capture is installed on the macbook and everything works fine.
But When I plug in the digital back with the firewire( the one that came with the back) the DB immediatelly turns on without the need of pushing the power button of the DB. Also I cannot switch of the DB by the button while the back is connected to the computer by Firewire. The only way to switch the back off is by shutting down the computer AND I don't know if this is shutting down correctly the back or if it forces it because of power outage.
I have read in another threat that Leaf Aptus 75 had an issue of damaged firewire port and/or cf card port and I dont wat to end up in that situation.
this is the thread(https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=73356.0)
The thread made me hesitate plugging the DB on the MacBook which I bought only for being able to tether this DB.

So  Does anyone have experience of using these old DBs tethered and if it is normal that the back is starting up immediatelly when plugged on the computer?
And what is the safe way to switch off the DB while it is connected to the computer?

I have also tried to disconect the camera from leaf capture but still no response from the power switch button

I know that the back is old and some people may suggest that  I have to move on to a newer model but this is not the case. I bought this db last year ant the actuations count was 50. Yes only 50. and now it is about 400 actuations.

thank you for your time

LenR

Re: Leaf Aptus 75 tethered, db power switch don't work
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 02:53:50 pm »

It looks like the back is working normally.

When you start Leaf Capture and "connect to camera" the back boots up right?

The image quality of the Aptus is nothing short of awsome and for the most part they are bullet proof when not abused.

thomkaran

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 04:34:44 pm »

Hi LenR and thank you for your reply.
The DB boots up directly when I connect it with the cable to the computer without  pushing the power button of the db. And shuts down only if I shut down the computer. That seems a bit of abuse to me especially when it shuts down because I think that the DB does not have the time to be prepared for shutting down. The power cut seems to be immediate. That is why I am worried.

I agree with you about the image quality and colors!

TechTalk

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 07:47:43 pm »

I am assuming that you do not have either the Leaf "Aptus Installation Guide" or Leaf "Aptus User Guide". You will find the answers to your questions in those manuals.

You can download both of the latest versions (1.6) here...

http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/documentation.html

Generally, your best source for information and support will be from the manufacturer.

From the Leaf "Aptus Installation Guide" (older manual - version 1.5)...

"The FireWire cable (IEEE 1394A) links the computer to Leaf Aptus. The cable carries both communication signals and electrical power. The cable is a hot-plug cable that can be connected or disconnected without turning the computer off or quitting the application.

1. Connect one end of the FireWire cable to the port at the bottom of Leaf Aptus. Make sure that the FireWire cable connector is aligned to the left of Leaf Aptus.

2. Connect the other end of the cable to the port on the computer.

Tip: When you connect the FireWire cable after you start the Leaf Capture application, the application automatically connects to the Leaf Aptus digital camera back and recognizes the connected camera type."

From the Leaf "Aptus User Guide" (older manual - version 1.4)...

"Working in Tethered Mode

1. Plug the FireWire cable into the camera back and the computer. For more information, see the Installation Guide. If there is a compact flash in the back, the compact flash icon appears on the desktop.

2. Turn on the camera.

To turn off the camera back:

- If you are using a compact flash, on the desktop, right-click the compact flash and select Move to Trash (Mac OSX) or Eject (Windows), and then unplug the FireWire cable.

- If you are not using a compact flash, unplug the FireWire cable."

* The caution that I would offer regarding FireWire 400 cables, it is not all that difficult to plug a cable in backwards—which will likely fry the internal board and result in a costly repair (if repairable on an older back). Leaf offered a right angle cable which made that more difficult to do. See this thread...

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=44579

Leaf Right Angle FireWire Cables - Part Numbers (this type of cable may also be available from specialty FireWire cable makers like Newnex)

http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/accessories_digital_backs.html

** FireWire 800 connections have a pin and slot arrangement which makes plugging in backwards virtually impossible, unless broken. However, the other caution regarding cables generally is that unless care is taken to insure that the cable connector does not twist and move in the connecting port while in use, over time the internal connections of the camera/back port can break which will also require disassembly and a costly repair. Gaffer tape helps and there are manufactured devices to minimize movement of connectors. Some cameras have recessed ports with a tight connection to minimize connector movement.

https://tethertools.com/product-category/cable-management/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:20:57 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future
Pages: [1]   Go Up