Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New York City Street scene  (Read 446 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
New York City Street scene
« on: May 22, 2021, 09:39:03 am »

I went over this in DxO PureRAW using DeepPRIME setting then LR and PS where I applied Topaz Sharpen AI and a vignette. Very pleased with this workflow.
Nikon 1 v2 w/18.5 lens, 1/30 sec, f/10, ISO 1600. Very dirty before DeepPRIME or with Detail settings in LR.

PS It also seems difficult to get the WB just right. Shot in late afternoon, the sky seems a bit too blue. Checking WB on various gray stone blocks converges around 4900. Is the mixture of different light sources contributing to the ambiguity? Any strategies for dealing with it besides gray card?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:21:28 am by David Eckels »

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Re: New York City Street scene
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 12:47:15 pm »

David - you probably know this. DxOPureRAW cleans noise as well as sharpens by default. You have to tell it not to use the lens correction module if you don't want the sharpening. On well exposed images at low ISO the sharpening is sometimes aggressive and looks crunchy for web display (people have reported it is fine for prints). DxO Photolab, on the other hand, allows for more control, lets you use only DeepPRIME for noise without any other corrections (they can be applied separately if you wish).

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 01:49:42 pm »

Thanks, Rajan, I had heard that. I have been experimenting with high ISO images (>400) mostly in the 1000+ range. Cannot say anything about rendering at base ISO. I don't usually use the Sharpen AI, but did with this image because it had some very obvious camera motion due to the slow shutter and my skittering across the crosswalk; it did a good job of removing that shake. However, it's not so obvious in this smaller jpeg rendering. That being said, you're telling me I just wasted $90 and will have to spend $200 to get more control?  :D  It seems easier than figuring out how to "turn off" lens corrections although it seems CA and lens profiles are imported into LR (the boxes are checked even though I am applying no import settings. At least I will try Photolab before buying this time! ;)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 03:22:09 pm »

Thanks, Rajan, I had heard that. I have been experimenting with high ISO images (>400) mostly in the 1000+ range. Cannot say anything about rendering at base ISO. I don't usually use the Sharpen AI, but did with this image because it had some very obvious camera motion due to the slow shutter and my skittering across the crosswalk; it did a good job of removing that shake. However, it's not so obvious in this smaller jpeg rendering. That being said, you're telling me I just wasted $90 and will have to spend $200 to get more control?  :D  It seems easier than figuring out how to "turn off" lens corrections although it seems CA and lens profiles are imported into LR (the boxes are checked even though I am applying no import settings. At least I will try Photolab before buying this time! ;)

David,

Once you have imported the image into DxOPureRAW, click on "DxO Modules" and disable the lens corrections button if you don't want them applied. If you only want the (exceptional) noise reduction algorithm of DeepPRIME, then best to stick with DxOPureRAW.

If you had a prior version of DxO Photolab, the upgrade price is $69.99.

John R

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 05:38:08 pm »

Great shot. Looks ultra sharp.

JR

francois

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 08:22:38 am »

Clean shot… I don't feel like the white balance is that bad, everything looks normal at first glance.
Francois

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 09:23:51 am »

Thanks, guys. I redid it with a better DNG file (no camera shake); same workflow, but no Topaz Sharpen AI, just my usual Smart Sharpen routine. Crop's a little different cause everything was moving, but I think I got the sky a little more neutral (didn't touch the vibrance slider!)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 12:39:26 pm »

The Unicef sign in the second version is suffering somewhat.

A challenging environment and a successful result, IMHO.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 01:15:04 pm »

Thanks, Peter, I agree though I didn't work on the sign much, which was on the edge of being blown. Aperture priority mode and matrix metering. But then that was 7 years ago!

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 11:54:31 pm »

But then that was 7 years ago!

Wow.  Even more impressive.  Imagine this on a modern camera.  Time for a re-shoot? :)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 08:39:55 am »

Time for a re-shoot? :)
Indeed. And thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up