Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon PRO-200  (Read 1829 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Canon PRO-200
« on: May 14, 2021, 06:16:53 pm »

My former printer, a Canon PRO-100 which I have been happy with for several years, died and couldn't be repaired. Grudgingly I bought a new Canon PRO-200. There is a HUGE difference. This printer is much better than the old one. Right out of the box, prints are beautiful and, for the first time, I have gotten prints on baryta papers with a dye printer that were as good as those on photo-type paper. I know most prefer pigment printers, but I have always liked the look of dye prints and Canon seems to be doing excellent work with both stability and alternative media. Just wanted to say how pleased I am with the Canon PRO-200.

mearussi

Re: Canon PRO-200
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 12:05:53 pm »

Good to know. I would like to see Canon come out with a larger format dye printer. It would produce beautiful glossy prints.

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 08:15:17 am »

Having played with an Epson Surelab D800 for a few months, I'd love to see a 24 or 44" roll to roll with dye inks, for the less than top end printing we often get asked for. We're running an increasing amount of work on self adhesive vinyl for projects that are going to be up for a year or less, usually with a satin photo-uv laminate, applied to DiBond. Instant dry and the option to not need to laminate would be a bit of a game changer for us, particularly if it had the footprint of a 2100/4100.

Paul_Roark

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 10:42:53 am »

I'm not sure if this is responsive, but I loaded Noritsu inks (Epson Claria dyes in large format carts) into Epson (third party) empty Epson 1400 (and also larger format) carts, and made black and white prints with the dyes for a while.  It worked very well, but, of course, the dyes are not as lightfast as pigments, and I decided they were inappropriate for my prints that were intended for gallery sales.  See https://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/1400-Claria-BW.pdf .

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 09:30:42 am »

I've also just bought a Canon Pro-200 (to replace a dead 9-year-old Epson R2000). 

After a few prints I'm very pleased, and colour rendition in comparable with, or to my eyes a bit better than, the R2000, which is a pigment printer. 

Even better: I use Harmon papers for much of my stuff, and don't yet have profiles, but I have found using the Canon profiles for the near-equivalent papers produces visibly identical results.  That is, prints on Canon Pro Luster and Harmon Luster paper (half the price), both using Canon Pro Luster profiles, are indistinguishable. 

However, I'm not about to use non-Canon inks. 

rgs

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 11:22:46 pm »

I've also just bought a Canon Pro-200 (to replace a dead 9-year-old Epson R2000). 

After a few prints I'm very pleased, and colour rendition in comparable with, or to my eyes a bit better than, the R2000, which is a pigment printer. 

Even better: I use Harmon papers for much of my stuff, and don't yet have profiles, but I have found using the Canon profiles for the near-equivalent papers produces visibly identical results.  That is, prints on Canon Pro Luster and Harmon Luster paper (half the price), both using Canon Pro Luster profiles, are indistinguishable. 

Canon Pro Luster is my everyday paper and it is excellent. I have also found Red River Arctic Polar Satin to be quite good and their Arctic Polar Luster to be superb. I have not tried Harman but it sounds like I should. Yes, the Canon profiles are very good. I agree about not using non-Canon inks - you must use the Canon ink to get the print stability the printer is capable of. 

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 12:17:57 pm »

I am on the other side of the fence and will refill any time I can . ( within reason)
My older Epson 1430 came with the Epson Claria ink from the factory. Cost is around $1.20 per ml for those small carts. I am a big fan of Ink Owl inks. The refillable carts for the 1430 accept the Ink Owl Claria at an average cost of 5.5 cents per ml or about 20 times less then factory oem. We only do 4x6, 8x10 and 13x19 on hi gloss papers with this printer.. The closest thing to Cibichrome you will ever find. We have had this for over 5 years. Tons of tests and hundreds of small prints with no evidence of anything negative. Only savings of $1.14 per ml.
Being an Epson guy I may get one of the new Epson 8550 dye printers the new 6 ink dye 13x19 printer, and since it is Eco tank I will use that Ink Owl Claria. It is that good.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 11:54:15 am »

Dan, I'm keen on the new Epson 8550, too.  I imported a grey market Epson E-805 six ink printer a few years ago and it's been happily churning out gorgeous letter sized borderless prints for about twenty cents each since then. I use the Epson inks and Costco glossy inkjet media. A few of those prints magneted years ago to my fridge in a sunny kitchen show no significant signs of fading yet. 

I've had a dozen printers over the years, including two 44" units.  None of them have given me more satisfaction overall than this little Epson.

Borderless 13X19 prints are very tempting, even though the 8550 will cost me a grand, CDN.

Kevin Raber promises a review of it soon.

rgs

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 02:08:19 pm »

I am on the other side of the fence and will refill any time I can . ( within reason)
My older Epson 1430 came with the Epson Claria ink from the factory. Cost is around $1.20 per ml for those small carts. I am a big fan of Ink Owl inks. The refillable carts for the 1430 accept the Ink Owl Claria at an average cost of 5.5 cents per ml or about 20 times less then factory oem. We only do 4x6, 8x10 and 13x19 on hi gloss papers with this printer.. The closest thing to Cibichrome you will ever find. We have had this for over 5 years. Tons of tests and hundreds of small prints with no evidence of anything negative. Only savings of $1.14 per ml.
Being an Epson guy I may get one of the new Epson 8550 dye printers the new 6 ink dye 13x19 printer, and since it is Eco tank I will use that Ink Owl Claria. It is that good.

With Epson, I might try as well. I have never used Epson (well one dismal experience many years ago), but my impression is that the Epson pigment printers are so successful and so good that dye ink is kind of a poor stepchild to them. Canon's dye inks are much better dyes inks and also more stable so, in spite of the cost (not as much as Epson but still high), I'll stick with Canon for both the quality and the stability. I am going to take a look at Ink Owl Claria - you have m intrigued.
Pages: [1]   Go Up