Equipment & Techniques > Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography

Phase One questions

(1/4) > >>

larkis:
Seems like most of the phase one dealers don't list any prices for the actual camera system, so I would like to ask a few things here.

1) How much is the phase one XT system with the 150 IQ4 back in Canada
2) What are the longer shooting options for the phase eco system in general ? I frequently shoot at 120mm or even 300mm on my Pentax 645z.
3) Does the XT system have weather sealing of any sort ? It's not heavy and great to take into high mountains, but will it put up with the weather and temperature swings ?
4) Are there focus stacking options on the XT ?
5) How much is the back by itself without the XT camera and lens ?

Paul2660:
You really need to contact a dealer, as all pricing as you noted is very difficult to locate.  US/Canadian dollars are different, I have not checked the difference in a while. 

Actual list on the IQ4 US dollar is between $49K to $54K, this is list with no trade in.  Phase One does offer reasonable trade ins from older backs.

Last time I checked the list price US of the XT was $5995.00, 2020 pricing, odds are it's gone up.

No weather sealing on the XT, or IQ4 or XF camera.  Not sure of any tech camera with weather sealing, (Alpa, Cambo, XT or Arca)

Focus stacking would require AF, so on the XT there is no automated focus stacking.  On the XF there is and it works quite well.  You can obviously manually stack on the XT.

Longer lenses:

Longest Phase One lens would be the 240mm Schneider, there is a teleconverter option that will take it further.

You can use older Mamiya Glass on the XF so the older White Mamiya lenses would work on the XF at least the 300mm.  You may have to modify the lens mount to work on the XF, where as it will work on the older AFDIII, II bodies.  But the IQ4 will only work on the XF.

Longest tech lenses I am aware of in normal use are the Rodenstock 180mm and 210mm.  Both require extensive back extensions on a tech camera.  There are I am sure older lenses that could be used, I am just familiar with the more modern offerings, from Schneider and Rodenstock for tech lenses. 

Paul

Dan Wells:
They really do make the pricing difficult to find... It's probably CA $60,000+. I've heard there is substantial bargaining room, plus the backs are often leased.

Phase One is, however, REALLY expensive - you could buy a (literally) complete GFX system - all four bodies plus all the lenses for just about the price of the IQ4 back alone. If you didn't need an original GFX 50S body (or choose any other body to eliminate), three bodies plus all the lenses is clearly cheaper than the IQ4 150.

I don't know how well the tech camera adapters for Fujifilm bodies work, but they certainly exist... Cheaper than the XT, same idea, a bit less convenient because they're using a whole camera as a back.

larkis:
In your opinion could you tell the difference between the gfx 100s and an iq 4 150 in a 40x30 print ? Do they have similar colour contrast and micro details given the optics ? The Fujifilm seems to have a great sensor (i had the gfx 100 on loan) but everything else about the system seems to be designed for mass market appeal. Is the quality control of the lenses good or are they hit and miss from a build quality/optical performance standpoint ?

Dan Wells:
For the first time in decades, there is posted Phase One pricing (found a price sheet at a US dealer). There was a price cut last year...

Suggested retail prices (not sure how much room there is to bargain below this - there used to be quite a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if the decrease in prices also decreased bargaining room).

IQ4 150 system (includes back, XF camera, quite a few accessories, no lens).      $47990
IQ4 150 back only                                                                                           $39990
Upgrades to IQ4 150 from older backs                                                   $19000-$25000

The lowest upgrade prices depend on trading in a relatively new, high-end back (to pay $19000, you'd have to have an IQ3 100 MP Trichromatic, which is worth much more than $20000 used)...

The $25000 upgrade allows an older back as a trade in that can be had for much less than $15000, so there's either negotiating room or it makes sense to buy an old IQ1 40 MP back on eBay for a few thousand dollars, only to trade it in right away.

Even if the IQ4 150 is really a $30000 back and a $38000 camera once you add the body, it's still over 6x the price of the GFX 100S for 50% more of the same pixels. It does come with warranty and support well beyond what lesser cameras have...

Interestingly enough, everything else that uses the same type of sensor  is more or less "priced by the pixel" to within a reasonable margin of error. The same basic Sony sensor comes in APS-C, FF, 33x44mm and the 54x40mm Phase One size, with resolution directly proportional to size.

Fujifilm X-T4             $1699          26 MP APS-C
Sony A7R IV              $3000          61 MP Full-frame
Fujifilm GFX 100S      $6000          102 MP 33x44mm
Phase One IQ4 150    $38000        150 MP 54x40mm

The A7R IV is a bit cheaper than it "should be", and the X-T4 is a tiny bit more expensive - but they're all within 10% or so, and the A7R IV just saw a price cut from $3500 (at $3500, it would have been right on the curve).

Is the Phase radically more expensive because volumes are so low? Is making the big sensor without defects 6x as difficult as the 33x44mm sensor? Is the Phase extremely expensive to manufacture because it's essentially handmade?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version