Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Sur  (Read 2653 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Big Sur
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 11:37:18 am »

My 3880 prints just fine under Big Sur.
You maybe want to do the Epson Enema and install drivers (from Epson) again: 
   1.   Delete all instances of Epson printers from System Preferences>Print & Fax.

2.   Then go to /Library/Printers and toss the whole Epson folder.

3.   Toss LFP Remote Panel (IF you are using this utility for your printer).

4.   Then reinstall drivers from Epson and never Apple.

When you go back to Print & Fax to add the printer, on 10.X I had to wait almost a minute before the IP version of the printer showed up, whereas the Bonjour one shows up right away. Then add the IP instance of the printer. This is for printers on a network.
Then re-install LFP Remote Panel if you use it with this printer.

NOTE: IF you have more than one Epson printer, you need to install the driver in the order of their release! Older then newer or you run into issues (eg, install 4800 before you’d install 3880).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

RobWignell

Re: Big Sur
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 09:30:42 am »

Hi Andrew. 

I followed your instructions and can now, from my 2019 MacBookPro running BigSur, print to my Epson 3880, 7880 and my multifunction WF-3640.  The installation process had some dramas.  For my first attempt I installed the 3880 software successfully but the 7880 install failed.  I reset everything and started again with the 7880 first.  I tried the driver from Epson Australia first but it failed to install (this may have been the problem with the previous attempt).  The same for the driver from the US site.  Finally, I tried the driver from the Eu site and it installed.  I can print from Lightroom, I can do a nozzle check and a head clean but the Epson Printer Utility 4 wouldn't activate.  However, this is sufficient for my needs.

With this almost complete success, I re-tried installing the 3880 software from the US site.  It installed properly and gives me access to Epson Printer Utility 4. 

I aded the WF-3640 to the printer list last.

It has been a frustrating and slow process getting these drivers working.  The solution has been relatively simple (although not at all intuitive) and should be documented on the Apple web site.  I had an extended phone call with an Apple engineer and, while trying to be helpful, he basically defined the problem as being something outside Apple's responsibility.  I understand that Apple applies rigorous testing before they allow software to be used inside their environment, issuing digital certificates amongst other safeguards.  With this apparent level of protection I fail to understand why I had to take a less than straightforward route to installing printer drivers.

Despite my rant above, I am very grateful for the guidance from Andrew and others on this site.

Rob Wignell
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up