Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei HY6 + Leaf AFI 5  (Read 2456 times)

dalkhaw

Rollei HY6 + Leaf AFI 5
« on: March 22, 2021, 09:26:09 am »

Hello All
I am a Rollei 6008i user wanting a digital back.  Have been recommended that the better route would be via a HY6.  Does anyone have any experience on the quality of a AFi 5 back with pictires to show please? 

With the AFi 5 back, can it be rotated to either landscape/portrait views?  Is there a mask in the viewfinder?

Thank you.

Best
daniel

thyl

Re: Rollei HY6 + Leaf AFI 5
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 02:47:59 am »

It really appears that Phase One is very secretive about their products. At least to me, from the web stuff, it is entirely unclear what is going on in respect to Mamiya and Leaf, the two companies that Phase One bought. Google Maps shows that the Mamiya factory now has a Phase One sign on it.

Maybe, you should give them a call. Or directly address DW Fototechnik, the manufacturer of the Hy6.

Other than that, I believe that a good idea might be to ask a company like Fringer for an active adapter for Rollei lenses for use with a camera like the Hasselblad X1D. The Rollei lenses have a leaf shutter and are fully electronically controlled, hence, could _probably_ be adapted rather easily (in contrast to Hasselblad V system lenses or Bronica lenses with mechanical drive elements). Actually, I did that, but did not get any reaction.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 11:53:01 am »

It really appears that Phase One is very secretive about their products. At least to me, from the web stuff, it is entirely unclear what is going on in respect to Mamiya and Leaf, the two companies that Phase One bought. Google Maps shows that the Mamiya factory now has a Phase One sign on it.

Maybe, you should give them a call. Or directly address DW Fototechnik, the manufacturer of the Hy6.

Other than that, I believe that a good idea might be to ask a company like Fringer for an active adapter for Rollei lenses for use with a camera like the Hasselblad X1D. The Rollei lenses have a leaf shutter and are fully electronically controlled, hence, could _probably_ be adapted rather easily (in contrast to Hasselblad V system lenses or Bronica lenses with mechanical drive elements). Actually, I did that, but did not get any reaction.

I don't know that i would think of Phase One as a "secretive" company as much as they are a company that is not particularly forthcoming with all the information we would like. Secretive implies one has something to hide. It might actually be interesting to see a page on Phase One's website, that shows their history. Then again, many companies do not publish such information like that in an obvious fashion.

For what it's worth, Phase One acquired Leaf around 2009 from Kodak, they also began an acquisition of Mamiya as well around that time and completed that acquisition a few years ago. Leaf was an active brand with Phase One until a few years ago. It is not possible to purchase new Leaf digital backs any longer (nor can one purchase new Phase One IQ1/IQ2/IQ3 models, only IQ4).

For all practical purposes, the evolution of digital back options for the Hy6 camera is at a dead end (this includes digital backs from Sinar also for that system).

Hello All
I am a Rollei 6008i user wanting a digital back.  Have been recommended that the better route would be via a HY6.  Does anyone have any experience on the quality of a AFi 5 back with pictires to show please? 

With the AFi 5 back, can it be rotated to either landscape/portrait views?  Is there a mask in the viewfinder?

Thank you.

Best
daniel

Daniel - I would concur if you are focused only on Rollei 6x6 camera bodies, the Hy6 would be a better bet than the 6008, at least you would have more digital back options, though as noted above, these are not many, compared to some other cameras such as Hasselblad H, Hasselblad V, Mamiya/Phase One XF/DF/AFD. Below is a link for some of the pre-owned IQ1/IQ2/IQ3 (as well as some older P+ and Leaf models) available in our certified pre-owned inventory. Note that this is not a complete inventory, it's best to contact us directly for all of our available models.

https://www.digitalback.com/collections/phase-one-pre-owned

The Aptus-II 5 AFI does have an internal rotating sensor. It does produce aesthetically pleasing files, in terms of color and tone, and was a favorite of many, particularly for shooting skin tones. Some of the limiting factors will include the base ISO of 25, which can be pushed to ISO 50, but even at ISO 100, unacceptable noise begins to creep in. It needs a lot of light, and if you have the light, it can reward you. Typically, a viewfinder mask was included, but purchasing one of these pre-owned, it will vary from seller to seller whether they still have and will include that mask.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

thyl

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 03:43:13 am »

I don't know that i would think of Phase One as a "secretive" company as much as they are a company that is not particularly forthcoming with all the information we would like. Secretive implies one has something to hide. It might actually be interesting to see a page on Phase One's website, that shows their history. Then again, many companies do not publish such information like that in an obvious fashion.

Sorry, did not want to imply that Phase One has something to hide. Not being a native speaker, I might have missed that connotation.

dalkhaw

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 10:52:47 pm »

Thank you all for your replies.  I am still looking for the HY6 mod 2 + digital back.

Best
daniel

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 02:25:39 pm »

Thank you all for your replies.  I am still looking for the HY6 mod 2 + digital back.

Best
daniel

Well, it's interesting.

I have had a few clients who have moved out of the Rollie Hy6 environment (some have gone to Fuji, some have gone to Phase One, of course for different reasons).

But I have others who have remained on the platform. One quite notable client has added a Hasselblad X1D-II for the more fluid lighting situations. They still value A) shooting with the Hy6 and B) the 60mp Leaf Credo files.

But it's not as easy to find digital backs for the Hy6 as it once was. And you have to be able to take into account the limited or non-existent service opportunities for the older Leaf backs (and perhaps, eventually the Credo).

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 12:47:10 am »

Back in the day enterprising (and maybe fearless) individuals have adapted P45+ backs to 6008AF mount, and it seems similar people are also adapting Phase IQ 180, IQ 3 and IQ 4 backs to Hy6.  It can be done.  I've also seen backs adapted to Rolieiflex and Rolleicord TLR's.  Most of the backs which can shoot in Large format mode can be made to work.   

Rolleiflex USA

thyl

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 09:40:48 am »

Best
daniel

no doubt it is a good camera! Ask the manufacturer directly for information: info@dw-photo.eu

And report back on what you learned. ;-)

mgolub2

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 10:23:08 am »

Back in the day enterprising (and maybe fearless) individuals have adapted P45+ backs to 6008AF mount, and it seems similar people are also adapting Phase IQ 180, IQ 3 and IQ 4 backs to Hy6.  It can be done.  I've also seen backs adapted to Rolieiflex and Rolleicord TLR's.  Most of the backs which can shoot in Large format mode can be made to work.

I’ve been thinking about how difficult it would be to adapt an IQ3 with a Mamiya interface to the HY6…has there already been people who’ve done that? If so that’s awesome! Do you have any information on how they did it?

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 06:22:15 am »

I’ve been thinking about how difficult it would be to adapt an IQ3 with a Mamiya interface to the HY6…has there already been people who’ve done that? If so that’s awesome! Do you have any information on how they did it?

Both back and camera need the right kind of electronics, digital interface and firmware so that they can communicate. IQ3 backs do not have the firmware to do this.
Your best bet is to try and find a Credo 60 or 80 or one of the AFi-II models. AFi was sold as a complete system with a Leaf branded body and Samsung SB-161 batteries (same as on the back).

BR
Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 03:00:18 am »

I still think the AFi-ii is brilliant. Very well made and integrated with the camera. Some of the features in that were very innovative. Being able to rotate the sensor while still having your eye to the view finder and fingers on the controls was incredible. 
Rolleiflex USA

rollsman44

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 10:18:00 am »

Hi Eric sent you PM   Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up