Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qimage HP Z3200 Printing Question  (Read 425 times)

sportmaster

Qimage HP Z3200 Printing Question
« on: February 21, 2021, 06:50:00 pm »

Using Qimage to print on HP Z3200 with roll paper.   How do I print an image where the width is greater than the height in a landscape orientation in relation to the paper roll? 

Example: Using 24 inch wide paper I would like to print an image 23" wide x 10" tall.  When I input those numbers to create a custom size the HP driver it says the height must be greater than the width. 

What I am I missing?  I can rotate the image and print but wasting to much paper.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Qimage HP Z3200 Printing Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 03:52:14 am »

There are some things you have to be aware of when using Qimage Ultimate and probably more Qimage versions together with HP printer drivers. The interaction of QU with the HP drivers is flawed. There is little chance that will change in the near future. A good advice is to change anything directly related to the driver in the driver menu itself (Properties) and not in QU, like landscape versus portrait, roll versus manual, print page size, etc. Holding the Shift key and clicking Properties sets the driver back to the default settings. Default settings which you can alter more deeply in the Windows system to something most used and more reliable; like having the color management setting on Application Managed Colors which is not the manufacturer's default.  On a Pro machine 8-(

After opening the driver menu to its default setting and creating a print page size in the driver, the warning about width is not really a problem, you can then set landscape or portrait as you wish. The numbers you mentioned should allow a landscape print on that roll width. The print margins on a roll are about 5mm so 10mm lost on the width which is less than half an inch. If that is not working it could be that Added Page Margin sizes are set in QU and you have to remove them. QU>Edit>Preferences>Page Margins.

In the driver I almost always create custom print page sizes that relate to roll width sizes minus 1mm and put that number at the front to find that size more easily. So 1117, 913, 609 and 430mm. Not all rolls are made equal on width. Followed by the number that represents the length on the roll, which can be less than the width so I get that warning often enough. Then I select landscape and it should be correct or I did not calculate well enough myself. Set Print Preview in the driver to prevent an embarrassment like that when the print is made.

I actually have 0" at the front of custom print page size names to get them in alphabetical order and in the top of QU's print page size settings but that is a relic of the time that the interaction between QU and the HP drivers was trustworthy.

Sometimes your image will not fit in the custom print page size while you are sure it should fit. Likely cause a stuck QU Border+ size that adds to the QU Print size or to the image Original Size you have chosen in QU. Or you did not allow a QU Auto Print Rotation of the image.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst Dinkla

https://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:20:29 am by Ernst Dinkla »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 04:52:29 am »

I believe the problem you describe is because you selected landscape orientation.  It seems intuitive to do that but QI wants the base dimension of your image to be across the width of the print across the roll in this case, so if this is the case just switch to portrait.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 05:35:19 am »

I believe the problem you describe is because you selected landscape orientation.  It seems intuitive to do that but QI wants the base dimension of your image to be across the width of the print across the roll in this case, so if this is the case just switch to portrait.

If one custom print page size is shorter than the roll width size you also added in that custom size dimension you will get a warning depending where you added that shorter size in the menu. In the end you always have to set Landscape in the printer driver menu for a landscape print page on the roll, the driver will sort it out. I always use a roll width minus 1mm as some rolls are a bit less wide than advertised and the HP printer measures the actual width and will turn the print page when the 914 set roll width size is not fitting a roll of 913mm wide which is 1mm less than 36".

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst Dinkla

https://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

sportmaster

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 07:07:14 am »

Thank you for your advice.

RaffiCoffee

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 06:15:08 am »

It may also be a Post Script vs standard version difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up