Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-1000 custom media--why care about base paper type?  (Read 781 times)

Prospero

Canon Pro-1000 custom media--why care about base paper type?
« on: February 19, 2021, 07:23:09 am »

Hi All,

I am unable to find information on the relevance of choosing between certain similar base paper types, when creating custom media for my Pro1000.

For example, why does it matter which base type I choose between these:
- Light photo paper
- Heavy photo paper
- "A"-versions of the same two above
- Baryta photo paper 

These all appear identical in terms of black ink used and ability to create a calibration target and the MCT does not provide any additional info on how they might differ. 

Throughout the media creation process, I will anyhow later choose:
- Paper thickness
- Feeder source
- Feed adjustment
- Ink density/usage
- Ink drying time
- Printer head alignment, which also optimizes head height for thickness
- Printer-internal color calibration
- Use of chroma optimizer

So what settings/parameters does the choice for one of these base types really determine then?  How does this influence the quality of my prints and, thus, why should I care?

The MCT can advise you on which type to pick, for which all it wants to know is paper weight or thickness.  So if that is the only factor, why the base type matters, why isn't this anyhow determined/overridden by the automatic print head height calibration that I do afterwards?  And if weight/thickness is all that matters, why is there a baryta base type, i.e., a choice to be made on the paper coating?

I am just wondering, if I am missing something that might effect the quality of my outputs.  E.g., if I choose the baryta type, does that limit me in the extent to which I can optimise my print quality afterwards with the ink density, calibration, or other adjustments?

Thanks much in advance!

I.T. Supplies

Re: Canon Pro-1000 custom media--why care about base paper type?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 11:57:25 am »

Media type selection can determine how much ink is being applied and which black to properly use so it dries accordingly.

If you choose a media type that is different per what Canon provides (Pro Matte option vs Baryta for example), it's telling the printer to use a little amount of ink but the paper is also somewhat thin with a matte finish (will use MBK) instead of the actual media type that it really is (Baryta) that "should" use Photo Black to stick properly and dry faster, but also because the paper is thicker than the Matte (matte around 190gsm vs baryta around 300gsm).

Baryta paper can (per say) jam when feeding and/or cause head strikes if you select the matte setting since there is a thickness difference.  Head strikes can cause damage to the head if done too much or is hitting the head just right.

The MCT allows a user to change the settings of a media type if you rather use a different black (maybe it wasn't drying properly but the other aspects matched just right) and you can name it for that paper for the future.

But the media type does tell the printer the amount of ink to lay down; which you have access in the printing software (usually) to edit this if needed, or state it during the MCT process (I believe).

It's best to get the media type selected to the best of your knowledge with what media you're using.  Also make sure that the computer end and printer have the same media type of it may confuse the print process or the software/drivers will inform you that there is a discrepancy with what is chosen.

And Chroma Optimizer is ONLY used with media that has a sheen (satin, luster, semi-gloss or gloss).
You "shouldn't" have to worry about messing with the print head alignment unless it's not feeding properly with the selected media type, but many recommend doing it to be safe.
Hope this helps.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Canon Pro-1000 custom media--why care about base paper type?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 12:38:23 pm »

There isn't much information on this topic unfortunately. Here is what I managed to found in the 4 years I use the PRO-1000:

- Media type affects:
-- the black ink used (MBK, PBK or both simultaneously. There are many Canon media types that are using both MBK/PBK).
-- the feed tray (for example Lightweight Photo Paper can use both trays but Heavyweight only the manual feed).
-- the mixing of the 11 inks.
-- the way CO (chroma optimizer) is applied in AUTO setting (in OVERALL setting the CO is applied the same for all media types). The best media types for CO in AUTO setting is Pro Platinum and Pro Luster.
-- the Baryta setting is new. It can be fed only from the manual feed tray BUT it delivers the best results, by far, for bronzing and gloss differential (less for both of course). I wish for a FW upgrade for the PRO-4000 to add the Baryta setting!
-- the ability to perform unique color calibration.

- Media types have other default settings (ink load, head height etc) but if you make a custom media type on them you can change all that if you wish.

-- the Special media types from 1 to 10 are for testing the ink load incrementally. From 1 to 5 for PBK and for 6 to 10 for MBK if I remember correctly.
 -- I don't know the differences between the A variants and the non A variants except that the A variants are newer :)

A lot of testing is needed....

That is all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up