Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LF camera reccomendation for MF DB  (Read 7963 times)

michaelnotar

LF camera reccomendation for MF DB
« on: December 23, 2006, 11:37:34 pm »

i will be buying my first MF back soon, i want to know what LF camera you reccomend putting it on? i am looking for a something midrange. i have a toyo 45GX, a big studio view camera, its specs as min bellows extention is only 55mm with a recessed lens board. so far i havent been able to find any other view camera/field cameras even 6x9 that had this extention.

so what would you reccomend?

jotloob

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:49:49 am »

i will be buying my first MF back soon, i want to know what LF camera you reccomend putting it on? i am looking for a something midrange. i have a toyo 45GX, a big studio view camera, its specs as min bellows extention is only 55mm with a recessed lens board. so far i havent been able to find any other view camera/field cameras even 6x9 that had this extention.

so what would you reccomend?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael

I use an ARCA-SWISS 6x9 F-LINE METRIC (+ Orbix) with an APO-GRANDAGON 45mm . (And other lenses of course) . I now have a CFV digital back and will attach that back to my ARCA within the next 2 weeks by getting a sliding adapter .
I can also convert my camera to a 4x5 type , just by replaceing the back frame with the 4x5 international back , and replaceing the bellow .
I find the camera very handy and precise and would not want to replace it by an other camera .

Jürgen
Jürgen

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 08:28:23 am »

Michael, I used a view camera for thirty years before finally making the move to a P25 digital back about two years ago.

The key issue is that view camera design evolved to meet the practical needs of photography with a large sheet of film, 4"x5 or larger, that requires relatively little enlargement for the final print. IMO the majority of large format cameras are unsuitable for digital backs with their tiny 37mm x 49mm sensors and subsequent large enlargement factors. The camera adjustments aren't precise enough, the camera's chassis isn't rigid enough, the back attachment mechanism isn't sturdy enough, and the ground glass screen can't support the higher magnification required.

There's very, very few large format cameras that meet the more exacting requirements of digital. I've settled for a fully geared Linhof M679cs with a sliding carriage back, but I also hear good things about the Arca Swiss 6x9 Orbix. You essentially need a camera with full gearing and no backlash, true anti-yaw geometry, a rock solid chassis, and a rear standard that's capable of having a back mounted and de-mounted (as opposed to simply slotting in a film holder) without showing any movement whatsoever.

If you settle for anything less it's a recipe for endlessly frustrating camera operation and sub-optimal and variable results.

robert zimmerman

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:14:43 am »

I think either the Linhof or the Arca Swiss 6x9 Orbix would satisfy you - I have the Arca and find it perfect for when I need a view camera. The thing I find indispensable is Live View from Leaf. The software has its problems, although V8 is quite usable for most things, but they got it right with Live View. Very easy, fast and accurate and as far as lf digital is concerned, just as important as the camera choice.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 01:00:54 pm »

I would also throw in the rollei x act 2. IT is rock solid and accepts a digital back with the appropriate adapter. I use mine with the Leaf aptus 65.  The camera was  designed for the digital user. IT is less expensive that the Linhof.  Mark

I think either the Linhof or the Arca Swiss 6x9 Orbix would satisfy you - I have the Arca and find it perfect for when I need a view camera. The thing I find indispensable is Live View from Leaf. The software has its problems, although V8 is quite usable for most things, but they got it right with Live View. Very easy, fast and accurate and as far as lf digital is concerned, just as important as the camera choice.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris Gahran

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 02:45:23 am »

Michael,

Toyo-View will be offering a new view camera that "has been developed from the ground up to meet the needs of today’s discriminating digital photographer."  It is the Toyo-View 23D and they will offer both a fixed back and a sliding back for the camera.  My information is that it will retail for $3000.00 and become available in April.

Toyo 23D

Chris Gahran

michaelnotar wrote:

Pages: [1]   Go Up