Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shift lenses on the Fuji GFX system  (Read 5187 times)

heinrichvoelkel

shift lenses on the Fuji GFX system
« on: January 29, 2021, 05:03:24 pm »

Is anybody of you using tilt shift lenses on the Fuji GFX system for architecture and landscape photopgraphy? Which lenses and adapter combos do work well?

Thanks in advance for your input.

chrismuc

Re: shift lenses on the Fuji GFX system
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 08:52:31 am »

I use on GFX 50s and GFX 100:

Canon TSE 17f4 and TSE 24f3.5 II  + Steel EF-GF adapter
Contax 645 35f3.5 (aperture fix at f11) + Kipon C645-GF shift adapter
Hasselblad CF 50f4 FLE, CF 100f3.5 + Kipon CF-GF shift adapter

Works very well within the image circle limits of the lenses which are:

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 02:49:09 pm »

Thank you very much for your infos. Very appreciated.

A little curious about your lens selection. Why the Hasselblad 50mm? Did you test the Canon TS 50?
And what about the Contax 45 and 55 mm lenses and the Hasselblad CF 40mm? Not good enough?

Kind regards from Wiesbaden,
Heinrich

I use on GFX 50s and GFX 100:

Canon TSE 17f4 and TSE 24f3.5 II  + Steel EF-GF adapter
Contax 645 35f3.5 (aperture fix at f11) + Kipon C645-GF shift adapter
Hasselblad CF 50f4 FLE, CF 100f3.5 + Kipon CF-GF shift adapter

Works very well within the image circle limits of the lenses which are:

chrismuc

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 11:19:10 pm »

Servus Heinrich!

The Canon TSE 50 (as the 90 and 135) all work very well on the GFX within their image circles.

I use the Contax/Hasselblad lenses, because I do so since many years. First with Alpa FPS + IQ180, then Sony A7RII, now GFX.

The Canon TSE 50 might be slightly sharper towards the shifted image corner than the Hasselblad 50 (the FLE version!), but the HB with the Kipon adapter does 15mm shift vs. only 12mm with all Canons.

There were four Zeiss Hasselblad 40mm lenses: C 40f4, CF 40f4 FLE, CFE 40f4 and CFE 40f4 IF. Only the last one is on corner sharpness level of the CF 50f4 FLE, but MUCH more expensive and it has 3.5% distortion (vs. 1.3%).

I also own the Contax 645 primes, so I could use the 45 or 55 but acc. my tests the image circles of the 645 lenses are a bit smaller than the HB 6x6 lenses. And then I would have one more lens, where I could not change the aperture.

It's a pity that Canon is not releasing a TSE 35, the missing link in their TSE lens line.
Not many options (Contax 645, Pentax 645, Mamiya 645, PhaseOne 645), IMO the Contax 645 35 is the second best, the best would be the PhaseOne, but that one is very expensive, very heavy and difficult to adapt.

All best from Guangzhou

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 03:50:54 am »

Yes, very good arguments for and versus some lenses. I really do miss a modern 35mm TS lens from Canon as well. My late Olympus 35mm Shift lens is okay, but has it shortcomings.

Thank you very much for all the info and thoughts of yours, really appreciate it.

All the best Heinrich

Per Berntsen

• Fine Art Photography by Per Berntsen
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 10:05:42 am »

I use the HCam DRS shift adapter with a Fuji GFX 50S. (see this thread further down on this page)
This adapter has a Canon EOS mount on the lens side, so unless you are using Canon lenses, an additional adapter is required.
It is not cheap, but extremely well made, shifts up to 15 mm, and is in a totally different league than for instance Kipon shift adapters.
I use a variety of lenses with it, some of them suffer from reduced left and right edge and corner sharpness, either because of field curvature, or because the image circle isn't big enough.
Topaz Sharpen AI does a great job of sharpening up the edges and corners. The Stabilize mode will add more sharpening to the less sharp areas of the image, and add less sharpening to areas that are already sharp.
Note that the maximum shift reported for each lens is vertical shift with horizontal format.

Canon 11-24mm f/4
Modified by Hartblei (who make the adapter) – the lens hood and a baffle at the rear have been removed.
This lens does not have an aperture ring, so the aperture has to be set on a Canon camera, and then taking the lens off during a long exposure.
I have it permanently set to f/11, which is the aperture where the lens peforms best.
The lens can be used from around 15mm, and allows 10-15mm shift, depending on the focal length. Quite strong sharpness falloff at edges and corners, also when not using shift. Sharpening with Sharpen AI helps, but the results are not ideal. Works quite well with interiors, where everything is closer than infinity.

Samyang 24mm TS f/3.5
Generally sharper than the Canon at 24mm, especially at the edges. It allows about 10mm shift, but shifted corners go soft after a few mm.
f/16 is required for best edge and corner sharpness.

Schneider PC Super Angulon 28mm f/2.8
A little less sharp than the Samyang. Shifted corners quickly become darker, and start vignetting when shifting more than 7mm (at infinity).
There is a blue cast in shifted corners, and also strong falloff in sharpness.
f/16 is required for best edge and corner sharpness.

Pentax 645 D FA 645 35mm f/3.5
This is an excellent lens, but there is a little falloff in edge sharpness at infinity. This lens seems to be very sensitive to the adapter used. Some (like Fotodiox or Kipon) will make the edge sharpness worse. At present I'm using a cheap no name Chinese adapter which doesn't fit well, but it still gives me the best edge sharpness.
12 mm shift is possible with sharp corners.

Pentax 645 FA 45-85mm f/4.5
This a very impressive zoom lens. Almost as sharp as the 35, but left and right edges are a little less sharp.
The lens performs equally well at all focal lengths.
The image circle isn't all that big, 5mm shift works out well, and up to 10mm if the corners are closer than infinity.
I have only tested shifting at 45mm, but the lens has a larger image circle between approximately 50 and 70mm.

Contax Distagon 45 f/2.8
The aperture has to be set with a Contax camera, or an (expensive) adapter.
About 12mm shift is possible with sharp corners. However, edge sharpness is not good, and the lens also has problems rendering fine detail in some situations.
I much prefer the Pentax 45-85.

Mamiya 645 80mm f/1.9 C
Slightly less sharp than the 80mm macro, especially at the edges, and at close range.
12mm shift is possible. I have not tested shifted corner sharpness, but would expect it to be good.

Mamiya 645 80mm Macro f/4 C
This lens is extremely sharp. I'd say it's as good as my Fuji GF 45mm.
Sharp across the frame, The image circle is huge, and 15mm shift is possible, with a little reduced sharpness and slight vignetting in the extreme corners at 15mm.

Mamiya 645 110mm f/2.8 C
Same as above, but it's not quite as sharp as the 80mm.

Mamiya 645 150mm f/3,5 N
A little less sharp than the 110, but still very good. Sharp across the frame, Around 10mm shift is possible.

Mamiya 645 210mm f/4 C
A little less sharp than the 150, but still good, and well within what I consider acceptable. Sharp across the frame, Around 5mm shift is possible.

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 02:15:33 pm »

Pentax 645 D FA 645 35mm f/3.5
This is an excellent lens, but there is a little falloff in edge sharpness at infinity. This lens seems to be very sensitive to the adapter used. Some (like Fotodiox or Kipon) will make the edge sharpness worse. At present I'm using a cheap no name Chinese adapter which doesn't fit well, but it still gives me the best edge sharpness.
12 mm shift is possible with sharp corners.

Pentax 645 FA 45-85mm f/4.5
This a very impressive zoom lens. Almost as sharp as the 35, but left and right edges are a little less sharp.
The lens performs equally well at all focal lengths.
The image circle isn't all that big, 5mm shift works out well, and up to 10mm if the corners are closer than infinity.
I have only tested shifting at 45mm, but the lens has a larger image circle between approximately 50 and 70mm.

Contax Distagon 45 f/2.8
The aperture has to be set with a Contax camera, or an (expensive) adapter.
About 12mm shift is possible with sharp corners. However, edge sharpness is not good, and the lens also has problems rendering fine detail in some situations.
I much prefer the Pentax 45-85.

Hello Per, thank you for your input. Did you ever test the manuell Mamiya 35mm lens? Being able to set aperture is a good argument for the Pentax lenses. Will try them as well. 

Per Berntsen

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 04:42:54 am »

I have tested the Mamiya 645 45, 55, and 50mm shift.
They all performed a lot worse than the 45-85 – blurred left and right edges at infinity.
The shift lens had such a bad blur on the right hand side that it was useless.
I have not tested the 35, but I would not expect it to perform any better than the 45 and 55.

An alternative to the Pentax 645 D FA 35mm is the previous version, called Pentax 645 FA 35mm.
For some reviews, see https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-645-Medium-Format-Lenses-i4.html

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 11:42:10 am »

Hello Per,

thank you for the info.  I did read on another forum about the moustache like distortion of the Pentax, which seems to be fairly hard to correct especially after using rise. Any thoughts?

Somebody was raving about the Mamiya 35mm and backed it up with some measurements, that's why I'm asking. The 45-85 will be on my lenses to test list.

Kind reagards
Heinrich

Per Berntsen

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 04:53:52 am »

I have only done a few architecural shots with this lens, but the only distortion I have noticed is a small amount of barrel distortion.
This can eaily be corrected, and there is also a lens profile for the lens in Lightroom/Camera Raw.
It's possible that this profile was created for the non D (just FA), but I think these lenses are very similar optically.
I think you can find some information about this on the Pentax forum, and as far as I remember, both are considered excellent lenses.
There is also the old A version.

I doubt very much that the Mamiya 35 is better than the Pentax 35, but it can be had much cheaper.
Note that all the Pentax and Mamiya lenses I have mentioned do have an aperture ring.
Pages: [1]   Go Up