Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 153   Go Down

Author Topic: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine  (Read 108449 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Promising New Coronavirus Vaccine
« Reply #940 on: April 08, 2021, 03:35:48 pm »

Living in a society has its advantages and disadvantages. None are perfect. Live in the one that you feel best balances the advantages and disadvantages. There is also the option of being a hermit.
Join a photo forum. Isolation comes naturally. :)

faberryman

« Reply #941 on: April 08, 2021, 03:36:10 pm »

That's not what you've been preaching.  You've said politicians should only listen to the scientists, not to the economists. Even Biden says that mumbling through his mask. "I'm going to listen to the scientists."

You must have completely lost your mind.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:55:20 pm by faberryman »

faberryman

« Reply #942 on: April 08, 2021, 03:38:17 pm »

Because I'm an old fart and 50% of the dead are my age.   :(

If that is true, then the other 50% are alive. Kind of makes you sound average.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #943 on: April 08, 2021, 03:38:45 pm »

You have completely lost your mind.
Aren't you one of those who said, "What good is being able to work if you're dead?"  Maybe it was other posters. Sorry.

faberryman

« Reply #944 on: April 08, 2021, 03:50:04 pm »

Aren't you one of those who said, "What good is being able to work if you're dead?"  Maybe it was other posters. Sorry.

Must have been another poster, although I don't recall anyone ever saying that "politicians should only listen to the scientists, not to the economists".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #945 on: April 08, 2021, 04:09:28 pm »

Must have been another poster, although I don't recall anyone ever saying that "politicians should only listen to the scientists, not to the economists".
Oh yes.  All the time.  Every time I bought it up I was pooh-poohed with what good is working if you are dead or words to that effect.  You;re getting forgetful, Frank.

faberryman

« Reply #946 on: April 08, 2021, 04:14:11 pm »

Oh yes.  All the time.  Every time I bought it up I was pooh-poohed with what good is working if you are dead or words to that effect.  You;re getting forgetful, Frank.

Well, if you can find a post where someone said that, I'll be happy to revise my recollection. If you do find something, you'll also need to explain how you made the jump from whatever you find someone said to "politicians should only listen to the scientists, not to the economists", because "politicians should only listen to the scientists, not to the economists" sounds like one of those logical fallacies known as a straw man which you frequently fall victim to.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 06:44:24 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #947 on: April 08, 2021, 04:25:43 pm »

Damn.  The experts changed their minds. Again.  All that disinfecting was a waste of time.  I suppose I could throw out Trump's Tonic too.

Soap and water are enough to reduce COVID-19 risk in your home, says CDC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCnQPatQUqU

TechTalk

« Reply #948 on: April 08, 2021, 05:29:09 pm »

You've said politicians should only listen to the scientists, not to the economists.

You should reference an actual quote. Your use of "you said" or "you say" and similar expressions is without any doubt whatsoever completely unreliable as you've repeatedly demonstrated. Your false assertions, as to what others have said, have been repeatedly pointed out and you simply ignore or deflect when they are shown to be false.

It's easy to just make up false quotes and assign them to others as you've often shown. It's also a totally phony way to make a point. It's unnecessary to make false claims regarding what others "say" or have "said" to make a point. Why do you persist?
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #949 on: April 08, 2021, 05:57:03 pm »

Damn.  The experts changed their minds. Again.

No. They didn't. It's just your attempt to find a molehill from which to build a mountain.

There's no great scientific breakthroughs to report in understanding that soap and water or disinfectant are capable of cleaning a surface to remove, reduce, or kill bacteria and viruses. They simply perform that same function differently and to different levels of effectiveness. Does this really need to be explained to you?

All that disinfecting was a waste of time.

No it wasn't. Whether the surface is your hands or something else, soap and water works the same way in breaking down and removing the things that you wish to remove. Disinfectant may do the job more effectively, efficiently, or thoroughly and, depending on the surface and circumstances, may be the better choice or may be more than is really needed for the desired level of sanitation and hygiene. But in any event, it isn't a waste of time. Does this really need to be explained to you?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 07:14:30 pm by TechTalk »

dreed

« Reply #950 on: April 08, 2021, 06:39:34 pm »

I sincerely doubt that. I have data for Serbia (mostly because I can't open Facebook or IG without being bombarded by the numbers). In more than a year, only about 7-8% of the population has been confirmed positive (not necessarily sick or even noticing). Hardly exponential. You may want to double or triple that number by people who, like myself, were infected but never went to a doctor, thus not part of any stats. It still wouldn't be exponential.

Words are important. I said that it expands exponentially if not addressed.

This is Serbia:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/serbia/

The exponential growth is what you see last year in Nov/Dec and again at the start of March this year. This means that Serbia has seen exponential growth of coronavirus amongst its population.

dreed

« Reply #951 on: April 08, 2021, 06:43:20 pm »

Damn.  The experts changed their minds. Again.  All that disinfecting was a waste of time.  I suppose I could throw out Trump's Tonic too.

Soap and water are enough to reduce COVID-19 risk in your home, says CDC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCnQPatQUqU

This has been true and communicated from the beginning. If you didn't know that then you weren't doing enough reading 12 or more months ago.

dreed

« Reply #952 on: April 08, 2021, 06:54:16 pm »

Well... There is science and then there is science. The science Alan and I are talking about is a filtered science, the one that reaches us common folks, via media. Our friend here, TechTalk, will often provide the right definition for the true science (the non-filtered one), which is of course correct.

The Internet enables access to a lot of information - including true science. Understanding may not be easy for the layperson.

Attatchment and https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/17/9/3326/pdf provided.

If you want true science, all you have to do is use Google to find it by looking for research papers (some will be hidden behind paywalls) on the topic you're interested in.

TechTalk

« Reply #953 on: April 08, 2021, 07:34:52 pm »

Do you think most people... check to see if "possible" is in there?

Yes. Most people have sufficient reading and comprehension ability to understand the difference between a declarative statement of fact and a qualified statement of something that is possible, probable, likely, unlikely, may, etc. without feeling an irresistible urge to jump to a conclusion. As we've seen here, that doesn't apply to everyone, but for most people the answer is yes.

TechTalk

« Reply #954 on: April 08, 2021, 07:47:54 pm »

everything Fauci says is couched with that word in everything he says:  "Possible" or "it's likely".

That would be something to consider practicing yourself. It might help you to recognize more of the gray in the world and reduce the high contrast thinking.

TechTalk

« Reply #955 on: April 08, 2021, 07:51:18 pm »

Even Biden says... "I'm going to listen to the scientists."

I would hope so! When someone knows vastly more than yourself about a subject, only a fool wouldn't listen.

TechTalk

« Reply #956 on: April 08, 2021, 08:24:05 pm »

Oh, sure, WE should factor it in OUR decisions, not let the government factor it for us, then penalize us for not obeying what they decided is in our best interest.

Your individual health is likely not of much concern to anyone but yourself and your friends and family. I doubt if "the government" is wondering, how's Slobodan feeling today and what can we do to make him feel better?

Public health is, however, a natural concern of government. Government public health services can't completely stop the spread of a pandemic infectious disease, but it can take measures and make recommendations to mitigate the spread in order to reduce the impact on the health of the general population. More importantly, mitigation efforts help to slow or reduce the emergence of more deadly and more transmissible mutations of the disease. Also of public concern, mitigation efforts help to prevent medical services, which are needed by the population as a whole, from becoming overwhelmed in your community.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #957 on: April 08, 2021, 08:25:22 pm »

You should reference an actual quote. Your use of "you said" or "you say" and similar expressions is without any doubt whatsoever completely unreliable as you've repeatedly demonstrated. Your false assertions, as to what others have said, have been repeatedly pointed out and you simply ignore or deflect when they are shown to be false.

It's easy to just make up false quotes and assign them to others as you've often shown. It's also a totally phony way to make a point. It's unnecessary to make false claims regarding what others "say" or have "said" to make a point. Why do you persist?
You are completely wrong. Many people here have repeatedly taken the follow the science and ignore the economy view.  Their argument has been that the economy must wait until Covid is defeated.

TechTalk

« Reply #958 on: April 08, 2021, 08:29:40 pm »

My comments were about you and your propensity for assigning false quotes to other individuals. My comments were not about what "many people" say, they were about what you do.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #959 on: April 08, 2021, 08:35:52 pm »

No. They didn't. It's just your attempt to find a molehill from which to build a mountain.

There's no great scientific breakthroughs to report in understanding that soap and water or disinfectant are capable of cleaning a surface to remove, reduce, or kill bacteria and viruses. They simply perform that same function differently and to different levels of effectiveness. Does this really need to be explained to you?

No it wasn't. Whether the surface is your hands or something else, soap and water works the same way in breaking down and removing the things that you wish to remove. Disinfectant may do the job more effectively, efficiently, or thoroughly and, depending on the surface and circumstances, may be the better choice or may be more than is really needed for the desired level of sanitation and hygiene. But in any event, it isn't a waste of time. Does this really need to be explained to you?
nonsense. The CDC now tells us soap and water is enough.  I spent a good part of the last year on Amazon tracking down hard ti purchase disinfectants to wipe down surfaces.  Where have you been?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 153   Go Up